Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 11-10-2010, 09:22 AM
BhTV staff

Default Fire

Old 11-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Lmaki

Default Re: Fire

Nice Job.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:12 AM

Whoa. Really well done.

I don't even want to think about how much effort went into that one, but the end product was great.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:05 AM

I like how one of the (very) unintended consequences of the Apollo DV's patented face-masking technology is that they jump out at the eye when you flash them and a bunch of regular DV's on screen. For example, right here. Except that this is the only one that I noticed. Come on, Aryeh/Brenda/whoever got stuck with this ridiculously time-consuming task and executed it remarkably well, show the commenters some (more) love!
Old 11-10-2010, 11:06 AM

Autotune! AUTOTUNE!
Old 11-10-2010, 11:25 AM

Very nice. Did it include all the Heads?

My compliments to the person who searched and edited this.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:38 PM

Brilliant!
Old 11-10-2010, 01:07 PM

Anyone else having problems watching this right now? I haven't been able to get it to work, been trying since this morning.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:12 PM

Amazing. I watched it twice. And I agree with Zeko about the masking--would have been worth nixing it for the purposes of merging that clip into this vid, no?
Old 11-10-2010, 06:42 PM

Talking Re: Fire

Amazing.

I still hold that this is the best Billy Joel parody though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxSLMTTR984
Old 11-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Not4Navigation

Complete with rhyming. Was this an early idea that was accumulated, tagged, and stored or a recent one? I would be interested in how it was put together. Amazing.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:05 PM

Bloggingheads first real work of art. Bravo!

A magnificent culmination of the 5-year anniversary celebration.

Live long and prosper, Bheads.
--Psalm 34:15
Old 11-11-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Zeko View Post
I like how one of the (very) unintended consequences of the Apollo DV's patented face-masking technology is that they jump out at the eye when you flash them and a bunch of regular DV's on screen. For example, right here. Except that this is the only one that I noticed. Come on, Aryeh/Brenda/whoever got stuck with this ridiculously time-consuming task and executed it remarkably well, show the commenters some (more) love!
Preppy and Zeko way to go.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:14 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hamandcheese

head = blown
Old 11-12-2010, 06:22 PM

exemplary.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:56 AM

I am in awe.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:29 AM

Default "Viva Bloggingheads! The Amazing, Super-Cool 5th Anniversary Video Mashup"

From a few days ago:

Quote:
This week, Bloggingheads won the Internet.

Bloggingheads — pioneer in DIY web video which allowed a rainbow of bloggers, columnists, thinkers and pundits to debate with each other onscreen via webcam — launched their split-screen creation five years ago, on November 1, 2005, with an endearingly low-fi, brainily-awkward and awkwardly-brainy discussion between founders Robert Wright and Mickey Kaus. From there a web empire of wonkitude was born, quickly becoming a cult favorite amongst the super-keen blognoscenti types who were only too happy to spend an hour chewing over the political, media and social questions of the day. (I was one of them.) Their technical co-founder, Greg Dingle, was an innovator in the online video field for having developed the “Dingalink” (seriously) — a time-coded link which takes the viewer to a specific spot in a video, creating broken-up video segments called “diavlogs.” If you’re yawning, smartass, remember that he was doing this in, like, 2006, when a little-known company called YouTube was about to embed itself on your brain.

It’s incredibly impressive what Bloggingheads created, and the NYT thought so too, picking up its content for distribution on its rarefied site. Almost more impressive: The video below, which toasts 5 years of B’heads with an incredible video mashup of its cerebral celebrities “singing” a thematically-rewritten version of “We Didn’t Start The Fire” by Billy Joel. It is awesome. The cameos are wide-ranging, with, in no particular order: Christopher Hitchens, David Corn, Joan Walsh, Ana Marie Cox, Arianna Huffington, Jim Pinkerton, Gail Collins, Byron York, Josh Marshall, Ezra Klein, Ann Althouse, Rosa Brooks, Ross Douthat, Dave Weigel (his line was “Journolist,” ha), Matt Lewis, Michelle Goldberg, Ezra Klein, John McWhorter, Tom Toles, Glenn Loury, Hanna Rosin, Maureen Tkacik (she got to say “Lady Gaga” the lucky duck), Ramesh Ponnuru, Andrew Golis, Susan Orlean, Richard Kim, me (filmed crouched on the floor in the storage closet at HuffPo’s 23/6 for best sound) and of course, Mickey Kaus (featured in the best lyric ever, rhymed with “Cordoba House”). Watch, sing along and be smarter for it below.

[...]

Here are the lyrics, painstakingly hyperlinked to the diavlog from whence they came by the hardy Bloggingheads staff (probably the tireless managing editor Sang Ngo). These folks are *not* kidding around. FYI, I know a little something about just how painful it can be to do this sort of thing, since I did it myself 5 years ago, just a few short months before Bloggingheads was born. We are all nerds. Check out the brilliance below.

[...]
-- Rachel Sklar | Mediaite

Last edited by bjkeefe; 11-17-2010 at 04:32 AM..
Old 11-17-2010, 08:16 PM

stunningly good. really.

off the top of my head, i reckon that 'Kennedy' is the only name that appears in both this and the billy joel original...
Old 11-26-2010, 08:56 PM

Agreed. Kudos BHTV staff. Though I would actually really LOVE to know the process of how it was done. Did they come up with a list (rhyme-scheme) of likely phrases and then find the diavlogs that had those?