Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2011, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Lessons Learned: Iraq War Redux? (Robert Wright & Heather Hurlburt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
The analogy was mine, originally, not Wonderment's. And obviously I was clear in what you quoted that I didn't think that's what he was saying, but I wanted to make sure that it was made explicit, as he's getting read that way, I at one time read him that way (no longer, since I've become more familiar with his views on this), others do make the claim in question, and -- with respect to the comment to which you were responding -- he said, essentially, unfortunately Israel was trying 19th c methods when we know they were wrong. That's what seems to me to be consistent with the reading I mentioned and likely to be understood in a way he didn't mean it (that Israel, not the earlier US, has no right to exist).

Given that I didn't even misunderstand him, though, I'm puzzled why, of all the many posts on this topic, it's mine that you have a problem with. Sigh, probably being too defensive -- I've had a stressful day.
sorry about the stress.

It probably seems fairly odd what little bits of a conversation i focus on, but it wasn't intended to be confrontational.

I use that particular analogy to the founding of America when talking about Israel because I assume that it implies that you can criticize the founding of israel as a crime without the implication that israel should be destroyed (just like the U.S.). So, if you had a perspective on that analogy that was quite contrary to my intentions when talking about it, i wanted to know more about that for a couple of reasons: 1) because I'm frequently misunderstood and am often completely surprised at how people understand things i say - so i'm always interested in someone seeming to have a very different take on something like that. And 2) because i have a lot of respect for your logic and reasoning abilities, so i figured if you were understanding that analogy in a far different light than i do, it would be well worth my time trying to see your perspective.

i hope you have a great day steph!