Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2011, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Values Added: Let's Talk Pizza (Adam Serwer & Katherine Mangu-Ward)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
Your comment seems somewhat unrelated to the specifics of what Eli was saying. Rusty suggested that immigration should be seen as contrary to the interests of African-Americans, since it allows racist types to hire immigrants and not black people. He suggested that the jobs being taken were otherwise going to blacks. He then suggested this was why fewer blacks are making it to the middle class now, since the low-income jobs are being taken by immigrants.

Eli objected to this framing of the problem for a variety of reasons. I'd actually expect you to object to the framing of the problem as well, so it's weird that you jumped on Eli and not all the anti-immigration arguments.

But perhaps I misremembered your views.
That's pretty much right. I don't think we ought to be worrying about whether enough blacks are losing low-paying jobs to immigrants, and rather how to help them achieve parity with whites. I really don't like the idea that these are "black" jobs.

As for people actually living in poverty, making poverty wages - that's an enormous problem I don't have an answer for, yet still think is a moral issue, and a valid critique of the structure of our economy and society. It is a "rough edges of Capitalism" issue, which I think we all ought to at least agree is an unfortunate consequence of our current system. I would like to think that while we may not have any good solution yet, that we are still concerned and would like to attempt to at least try and fix some of the problem. Personally, I'm especially concerned about generational poverty and structural issues that all but condemn millions of Americans to lives poor in social and human capital.