Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Apollo diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Apollo diavlog comments Post comments about Apollo diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #161  
Old 09-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Anyuser Anyuser is offline
Deactivated User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 141
Default Re: bjkeefe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
My position hasn't changed since the idea was first broached this past April.
Well jeezus. Don't I feel the fool. I try to read each and every one of your comments (10,758 and counting!), but I guess I missed this one.

Well, I know when I'm licked. I've been scolded by somebody that includes Rolling Stones lyrics in his signature block, and by the bhtv moderator himself. This tells me two things: (i) I'm a bad, stupid man, and (ii) I need a cool signature block.

Bj (may I call you bj?), as the sun sets in California, beginning the day of atonement, before I slink off to suffer my disgrace, I testify that I am heartily sorry for having offended thee. I'm not gonna fast, though; I'm not that sorry.

Regards,
Anyuser

________________________________
do you say stupid shit like this because you actually believe it, or is this just part of trying to build your brand by being "provocative?"

bjkeefe
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 09-27-2009, 10:34 PM
PreppyMcPrepperson PreppyMcPrepperson is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 714
Default Re: Interesting Op-ed on this topic at WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoron View Post
Again, it's the entire company that one has to look at. It's doesn't seem to be a chaebol, where one company props up another. All the pieces hold their own, and together they seem even more viable.
No, you mistake my point. I understand the Economist Group is profitable as a whole. I'm saying the WHOLE ECONOMIST GROUP relies on content generated by outlets outside the Economist Group altogether, by the very loss-making newspapers whose fate we have been discussing. In other words, I have no problem with the Economist, even though I don't normally read it, but I think its existence/success is sort of irrelevant to the question of how NEWS content gets produced and funded, because The Economist is derivative of that news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimore View Post
The investigative problem is important, crucial even I admit. But instead of saying local newspapers have to do more of it, and how can we maKe this happen, perhaps we should ask what should be the subject of investigative reporting, and isn't getting done, and how do we get that done. Maybe we need a new model, maybe not even newspapers, not just thrashing local papers for their incompetence or blaming some other third force.
I agree, and I ultimately don't think it's going to be done by local papers. Right now, it looks like a lot of this work, which is inherently loss-making as a process, will be done by nonprofits--ProPublica, the Center for Public Integrity, the Pulitzer Center etc. And I think there will be some local outfits akin to these larger foundations that do it on the local level. And, if they survive, through some overhaul of online advertising structures and a new subscription model, some investigative work done by the major newspapers. Indeed, the major newspapers will probably do it in conjunction with the national foundations.
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 09-27-2009, 10:59 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa家h
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: bjkeefe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyuser View Post
... I'm a bad, stupid man ... I slink off to suffer my disgrace ...
Indeed, although I doubt anyone would call you a man.

Oh, and btw? Playing the Moderator!!!1! card is something only the lamest wingnuts resort to. Surely you've figured that out by now. Or are you really that stupid?
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 09-27-2009, 11:35 PM
bahiano bahiano is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8
Default Re: Showtime at the Apollo (nikkibong & PreppyMcPrepperson)

So I couldn't read every single comment so I don't know about ALL the chatter, but I thought it was GREAT! Ethan, seeing you on bloggingheads.tv blew my mind. We need to get in touch.
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 09-28-2009, 01:02 AM
Baltimoron Baltimoron is offline
Deactivated User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Busan, South Korea (ROK)
Posts: 1,690
Send a message via Skype™ to Baltimoron
Default Re: Interesting Op-ed on this topic at WSJ

Quote:
Right now, it looks like a lot of this work, which is inherently loss-making as a process, will be done by nonprofits--ProPublica, the Center for Public Integrity, the Pulitzer Center etc. And I think there will be some local outfits akin to these larger foundations that do it on the local level. And, if they survive, through some overhaul of online advertising structures and a new subscription model, some investigative work done by the major newspapers. Indeed, the major newspapers will probably do it in conjunction with the national foundations.
I wanted to mention ProPublica, and then students came in. Also, The Politico (see video - http://www.charlierose.com/view/content/10498). I'm looking for another one on FT.
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 09-29-2009, 11:58 PM
razibkhan razibkhan is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12
Default Re: Showtime at the Apollo (nikkibong & PreppyMcPrepperson)

speaking as a regular "head," these two were better than a lot of us :-)
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 10-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Winspur Winspur is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 120
Default Re: Showtime at the Apollo (nikkibong & PreppyMcPrepperson)

Interesting and sad (speaking as a member of their generation). I don't know about the images, I think animated color emoticons would be easier on the eyes.

I'm surprised the Weekly Standard paid you to write that article, Ethan. I thought for sure they wanted to obliterate the memory of Portland from our national consciousness and plant a "Cheneyville" on the ruins.

[Further thought:] The people who want Sam Adams fired for sex with a 17-year-old boy are undoubtedly (some of them) the very same who think Roman Polanski having sex with a 13-year old girl was a "youthful error."

Last edited by Winspur; 10-01-2009 at 12:12 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 10-01-2009, 12:20 PM
AemJeff AemJeff is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,750
Default Re: Showtime at the Apollo (nikkibong & PreppyMcPrepperson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winspur View Post
...[Further thought:] The people who want Sam Adams fired for sex with a 17-year-old boy are undoubtedly (some of them) the very same who think Roman Polanski having sex with a 13-year old girl was a "youthful error."
You're equating being fired with the possibility of being jailed. Whatever the merits in either case, I'm not sure what you think this implies.
__________________
-A. E. M. Jeff (Eponym)
Magnets - We know how they work!
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 10-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Namazu Namazu is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 185
Default Re: Showtime at the Apollo (nikkibong & PreppyMcPrepperson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz View Post
Was I also having a flashback or was the psychedelic effect (voice as well as vision) purposeful?
Perhaps the reference to Warhol in the color scheme is only obvious to those above a certain age. Limiting the diavlogs to 15 minutes sharp ought to let more people in on the 'joke.'
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 10-02-2009, 11:56 AM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa家h
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: Showtime at the Apollo (nikkibong & PreppyMcPrepperson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namazu View Post
Perhaps the reference to Warhol in the color scheme is only obvious to those above a certain age. Limiting the diavlogs to 15 minutes sharp ought to let more people in on the 'joke.'
While I don't vote for the time limit, that was pretty good.
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 10-31-2009, 12:29 PM
graz graz is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,162
Default Re: Newspapers

The current issue of Harper's has a lovely obit for newspapers by Richard Rodriguez:
http://harpers.org/archive/2009/11/0082712
(Unfortunately it is behind a pay-wall - but highly recommended)

Bonus: Also Blogginhead, Andrew Bacevich has a piece on Afghanistan.
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 04-09-2010, 02:59 PM
nikkibong nikkibong is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,803
Default paging bjkeefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
Well, that post didn't do much for your credibility, particularly the part I bolded.

Tell me, nikki, do you say stupid shit like this because you actually believe it, or is this just part of trying to build your brand by being "provocative?" You come off like someone whose goal in life is to become an intern at Slate.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezr...e_economi.html

Meanwhile, both brands have morphed into statements. For better or worse, carrying the Economist is sort of like wearing a shirt that says "I'm smart and worldly and interested in knowing things about Ghana." But unlike a shirt saying all that, it actually works to convey that impression.

so tell me, brendan, does ezra klein say stupid shit like this because he actually believes it, or because he's trying to build his brand by being "provocative"?
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 04-09-2010, 09:29 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa家h
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: paging bjkeefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibong View Post
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezr...e_economi.html

Meanwhile, both brands have morphed into statements. For better or worse, carrying the Economist is sort of like wearing a shirt that says "I'm smart and worldly and interested in knowing things about Ghana." But unlike a shirt saying all that, it actually works to convey that impression.

so tell me, brendan, does ezra klein say stupid shit like this because he actually believes it, or because he's trying to build his brand by being "provocative"?
I'm sorry, though not surprised, that you are unable to see the difference between what Ezra said and what you said, especially in context.

I do applaud your remembering my criticism, though I have to say, if your first instinct is to search out things that are superficially similar, only to hold them up and howl "JUST THE SAME!!!1!," I am going to revise my estimation of your career goals away from Slate and towards the Weekly Standard.
__________________
Brendan

Last edited by bjkeefe; 04-09-2010 at 10:15 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 04-10-2010, 07:32 PM
nikkibong nikkibong is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,803
Default Re: paging bjkeefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
I'm sorry, though not surprised, that you are unable to see the difference between what Ezra said and what you said, especially in context.

I do applaud your remembering my criticism, though I have to say, if your first instinct is to search out things that are superficially similar, only to hold them up and howl "JUST THE SAME!!!1!," I am going to revise my estimation of your career goals away from Slate and towards the Weekly Standard.
shorter badmoodbjkeefe:

the difference is that ezra klein said it, not you.
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 04-10-2010, 07:34 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa家h
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: paging bjkeefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibong View Post
shorter badmoodbjkeefe:

the difference is that ezra klein said it, not you.
No, that's not the difference, but how nice to see you nervously trying to pile on with your friends look, badhat, and 'fur.
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 04-11-2010, 12:12 PM
nikkibong nikkibong is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,803
Default Re: paging bjkeefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
No, that's not the difference, but how nice to see you nervously trying to pile on with your friends look, badhat, and 'fur.
subconscious bjkeefe:

crap, he has a point! resort to 'guilt' by association!!!1!
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 04-11-2010, 12:39 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa家h
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: paging bjkeefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibong View Post
subconscious bjkeefe:

crap, he has a point! resort to 'guilt' by association!!!1!
Not at all. You didn't have a point. And to the extent that I bothered to respond to your word salad, it was merely to note with amusement that you tend overwhelming to vent your little fits only when other people are also indulging in bicker mode with me.
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 04-11-2010, 12:41 PM
nikkibong nikkibong is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,803
Default Re: paging bjkeefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
Not at all. You didn't have a point. And to the extent that I bothered to respond to your word salad, it was merely to note with amusement that you tend overwhelming to vent your little fits only when other people are also indulging in bicker mode with me.
.
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 04-30-2010, 01:06 AM
Starwatcher162536 Starwatcher162536 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,658
Default Re: paging bjkeefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibong View Post
Meanwhile, both brands have morphed into statements. For better or worse, carrying the Economist is sort of like wearing a shirt that says "I'm smart and worldly and interested in knowing things about Ghana." But unlike a shirt saying all that, it actually works to convey that impression.
Granted, I have only leafed through a couple of issues, but I really don't understand why reading the economist is considered a status symbol. It's basically just a National Geographic with more politics.
__________________
Six Phases of a Project: (1)Enthusiasm (2)Disillusionment (3)Panic (4)Search for the Guilty (5)Punishment of the Innocent (6)Praise and Honors for the Non-Participants
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 05-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Lyle
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: paging bjkeefe

Basically National Geographic with more politics? It's not even in the same style as the National Geographic. And I think you meant more economics and politics, not just politics.

Subscribe you bitch.
Reply With Quote
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.