Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 07-23-2008, 03:02 PM
BhTV staff

Default Aw, Nuts

Old 07-23-2008, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Aw, Nuts

Had to make a quick correction, just at the ouset: Jackson did not refer to Obama as a n*gger; he accused Obama of talking down to "n*ggers."

Anyway, can we talk about the weather now?
Old 07-23-2008, 03:25 PM

Default bhtv, bleeping and free speech

Anyday is a nice day, regardless of the weather, when Glenn and John are featured guests. Thanks.
Thanks also to bhtv for not imposing arbitrary and silly "bleeping" or censorship:

http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/130...6&out=00:01:51
Old 07-23-2008, 03:31 PM

These guys just enjoy themselves so much. That's why they're such good bh.tvers.

So Rielle Hunter can wait.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:44 PM

http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/130...1&out=00:60:43

The Professor did us all proud with a weighty and suspenseful closing question.
Hopefully they will explore it in full, later.
In case they don't, the forum exists for this reason.

I would add to John's quick reply, that the framing of Obama's candidacy is so entrenched in the conglomerated process of media, political operatives and special interest forces that to assign significance to Obama already implicates anyone in the juggernaut.

The historical Black candidate meme is inescapable. The media looking for hooks such as comparing and contrasting present speeches with MLK is guaranteed, whether warranted or not. John is right, history will tell.
But it doesn't follow that the candidate should be discredited just for the association. Geez, give a nigga a break... will ya.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:29 PM

These guys are really remarkable. I've watched all of their vlogs and they just keep getting better. They clearly enjoy their talks, have immense substance and nuance, and take eachother's ideas seriously.

The younger bloggers who populate most of this vlogs would do well to watch every minute of this talk.

I guess a Ph.D. is worth something.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankporter View Post
These guys are really remarkable. I've watched all of their vlogs and they just keep getting better. They clearly enjoy their talks, have immense substance and nuance, and take eachother's ideas seriously.

The younger bloggers who populate most of this vlogs would do well to watch every minute of this talk.

I guess a Ph.D. is worth something.

Totally totally totally agree. This pairing may be second only to Bob and Mickey in terms of the enjoyment and stimulation factor. Ana Marie Cox would do well to take note. (Yes, I'm aware that that's a gratuitous jab.)

Special props to Glenn for mentioning Krauthammer's excellent column from last week; he eloquently voiced a lot of the worries that I have been experiencing regarding The One.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:41 PM

I am sure a lot of commenters won't like this analogy, but Al Gore's decent into post political rediculousness with sea levels rising 20 feet is similar to Jackson's.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibong View Post
Special props to Glenn for mentioning Krauthammer's excellent column from last week; he eloquently voiced a lot of the worries that I have been experiencing regarding The One.
And how are you dealing with those worries? Or has that hit piece sealed the deal for you?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...701839_pf.html
Old 07-23-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz View Post
Or has that hit piece sealed the deal for you?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...701839_pf.html
Does it worry you a tad that Glenn raises these concerns? He brought up a Krauthammer article.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:04 PM

I too thought the New Yorker cover was obviously making fun of ridiculous views of Obama. I mean, who didn't? Well a few people, even on the left I guess.

Anyway, as far as Barack Obama's middle name, I think it depends.

When a conservative talking head says Barack Hussein Obama, they say Barack Hussein Obama, making sure no one misses it.

Even some Hillary supporters would say the full name, knowing this isn't how he typically is referred to.

Now when and if he becomes President, then we can say Barack Hussein Obama the way we say William Jefferson Clinton.

So there are reasons for the sensitivity surrounding his middle name, the context matters.

As for the cartoon, the only people who should take offense to that probably wouldn't understand the point of it to begin with.

Last edited by Jay J; 07-23-2008 at 06:07 PM..
Old 07-23-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
And how are you dealing with those worries?
Well, walking through downtown Portland yesterday, some green volunteer asked me if I have a "minute for Barack Obama." I responded that he should have a minute for me! That helped. (Full disclosure: I once canvassed for Obama, myself!)

Otherwise, if doing that doesn't fully disable my worries this does:

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/BrewPub/OnTap/5830.aspx
Old 07-23-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay J View Post
I too thought the New Yorker cover was obviously making fun of ridiculous views of Obama. I mean, who didn't? Well a few people, even on the left I guess.

Anyway, as far as Barack Obama's middle name, I think it depends.

When a conservative talking head says Barack Hussein Obama, they say Barack Hussein Obama, making sure no one misses it.

Even some Hillary supporters would say the full name, knowing this isn't how he typically is referred to.

Now when and if he becomes President, then we can say Barack Hussein Obama the way we say William Jefferson Clinton.

So there are reasons for the sensitivity surrounding his middle name, the context matters.

As for the cartoon, the only people who should take offense to that are probably the ones who wouldn't understand the point of it to begin with.
I think you're exactly right about the magazine cover. I do think think it was smart for Obama to attack it, distancing himself from the inevitable willful misinterpretations that would follow. But, I doubt that his middle name will ever be anything but a problem. The emphasis on its Islamic roots is a useful political weapon, especially while there remains a fair swath of folks who are going to react to it with a reflexive shudder. It's a ready made smear with deniability built right in ("but it's his name!")
Old 07-23-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by look View Post
Does it worry you a tad that Glenn raises these concerns? He brought up a Krauthammer article.
Worry is not the mix for me. The clear cut choice is so obvious, that while I might overlook some "alleged" character flaws, what are we discussing?

Of course I agree that Obama is a subject for scrutiny and likely to be tarred by psychologizing. But I am not confident that it amounts to a hill of beans in the end. Yes, whether he is a secret Muslim or McCain is a Manchurian candidate are interesting and likely to inspire their detractors further.
Is picking wisely incumbent upon all good citizens (myself included, ha), yes.

What I can glean from tea leaf reading or an informed opinion by a man I respect greatly (Glenn Loury) is of limited value in this context.

I will be happy or frustrated to discuss it seriously to the extent that the questioner is in my mind sincere. You are among the sincere ones. Krauthhammer is one of the "One" crowd that use a shorthand meme to win political points, not to further our democracy or enlighten the electorate.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:22 PM

I think the difference between Loury/McWhorter, Wright/Kaus, and the Science Saturday guys is that there is a preexisting relationship and an expertise (exempting Kaus, who's a serves as effective foil for RW) that allows ideas to develop through the conversation. The Free Wills have an element of this too. The ideas gets teased out through the hour and into an ongoing series of conversations over months.

Too many of the blogger vs. blogger vlogs are like bad conversations with each person reviving some pre-prepared blog post, then a bit of disagreement, and then the other person offer some sort of canned idea, and repeat.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Well, walking through downtown Portland yesterday, some green volunteer asked me if I have a "minute for Barack Obama." I responded that he should have a minute for me! That helped. (Full disclosure: I once canvassed for Obama, myself!)

Otherwise, if doing that doesn't fully disable my worries this does:

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/BrewPub/OnTap/5830.aspx
Agreed, fatigue sets in. Good brew helps.

"I responded that he should have a minute for me!"

The whole process does have built in gag reflex aspects. But we are stuck with it. I'll toast to our surviving it. Cheers.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post
I am sure a lot of commenters won't like this analogy, but Al Gore's decent into post political rediculousness with sea levels rising 20 feet is similar to Jackson's.
Where's the part where it becomes ridiculous? Ambitious? I'd say so. Do you have any data?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:

I will be happy or frustrated to discuss it seriously to the extent that the questioner is in my mind sincere. You are among the sincere ones. Krauthhammer is one of the "One" crowd that use a shorthand meme to win political points, not to further our democracy or enlighten the electorate.
Understood, the lesser of two evils concept. But it's not just Krauthammer; Sullivan had similar concerns recently. Just sayin'. *wink*
Old 07-23-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by look View Post
*wink*
Back at ya.
Lesser of two evils only in the sense that we are offered limited options.
But, I don't share the media generated disdain for either of the candidates. Isn't it simultaneously true that the media is engaged in Obama's coronation, while also pumping slander and innuendo?
Aren't they primping up McCain while also starting to enumerate the gaffes and the age meme?
The media and the candidates are flawed humans, can we let them join the club? The aura of the Presidency assigns impossible standards to the judgment process.
I'd rather have a beer with the candidate whom I will vote for. Not because he is just regular folks, but because I would like him to be accountable to the desires I have projected upon him. It isn't likely to happen.
But expecting them to meet my personal standards, while predictable, will likely fall somewhat short. But as John McWorther said:time will tell.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:09 PM

Default Why Obama should speak at the Brandenburg Gate

Krauthammer is wrong.

Barack Obama personally did not earn the Brandenburg Gate, but symbolically we who support him have.

As the first black man to be a serious contender for the presidency of the USA, Obama is an international emblem of racial equality and human rights.

What better place than the geographical point chosen by Nazis as emblematic of the triumph of their ideology?

Obama at the Gate is a symbol of US and German progress to eradicate racism. It's about genocide, colonialism, slavery and segregation.

Obama stands there for MLK and for Rosa Parks. He's not there to make a political campaign speech. He's there to represent hope for equality and the end to racism.
--Psalm 34:15
Old 07-23-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I am sure a lot of commenters won't like this analogy, but Al Gore's decent into post political with sea levels rising 20 feet is similar to Jackson's.
Good point, except for the fact that is made obvious by your post, and others like it, that Gore, remains one of the biggest thorns in your collective sides much to his credit IMHO.
<humor, maybe> Perhaps you could give the lefties the approximate altitude of the top of your dwelling so they will know when to reverse the imaginary effects of their imaginary phenomenon? </humor, maybe>
Old 07-23-2008, 07:31 PM

I think Krauthammer is incorrect, because Barack Obama would earn/not earn the right to the speech backdrop after the fact (or during). Did Mitt Romney earn the right to give a Kennedy-esque speech on Mormonism? Did Barack Obama for "race in America"? One speech turned out to be vapid and one turned out to be highly non-vapid. So history will erase one, and we will be left with the grand event only.

I don't think historical figures "earn" by a collective building-up. They just cross a threshhold, and then the Brandenburg Gate speech becomes an event. Are Reagan and Kennedy the only people to ever speak there?
Old 07-23-2008, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Why Obama should speak at the Brandenburg Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderment View Post
Krauthammer is wrong.

Barack Obama personally did not earn the Brandenburg Gate, but symbolically we who support him have.

As the first black man to be a serious contender for the presidency of the USA, Obama is an international emblem of racial equality and human rights.

What better place than the geographical point chosen by Nazis as emblematic of the triumph of their ideology?

Obama at the Gate is a symbol of US and German progress to eradicate racism. It's about genocide, colonialism, slavery and segregation.

Obama stands there for MLK and for Rosa Parks. He's not there to make a political campaign speech. He's there to represent hope for equality and the end to racism.
I think you perfectly captured my feelings on the subject. He should speak there because it's a symbol of American cooperation with Europe and Germany, in particular. As a symbol of what is right with America, Barack was representing every one of us that still sees a bright future at the same time standing for all of the struggles of people of color (all colors) in America.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
I don't agree that Gore has become ridiculous. You can quibble with some of his specific predictions, but I think he's had an enormous impact in raising awareness about AGW. You can disagree with the plausibility of his exhortations to change our energy base, but I think he has specified a goal that is worthy and helps to provide focus. Gore has moved from being a pragmatic, day-to-day politician into a new role that looks at a bigger picture and a longer time frame and talks about ideals more than is possible for an American officeholder.

By contrast, Jesse Jackson does not strike me as having contributed to consciousness-raising or as having acted as a spokesman for our better angels in quite some time. He seems lately to be mostly interested in keeping himself in the limelight, and if Glenn and John are to be believed, in feathering his own nest.

I suspect that you do not share Gore's beliefs or ideals, and therefore, would like to diminish him. Certainly, that is the clear objective of many on the right. Dislike puts it too strongly, because I've become inured to this ad hominem approach of debating AGW. Let's just say that I don't buy your analogy.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:02 PM

Wonderment:

Very well said. I urge you to send these thoughts as a letter to the editor of the Washington Post.

[added] And having just read osmium's comments, I'd say that the two of you should join forces on this.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:08 PM

I find myself shaking my head in disagreement just as much as I'm nodding in agreement with these two great commentators of culture. The one aspect that I sometimes can't get over is the lack of connection to the common person. I include myself in this group. Glen and John appear to be enveloped too far into academia and their own social circle to grasp how things are perceived.

This was a similar issue I have with Ana Marie Cox. Her connection to people is from a few rabid commenters on her blog and not what truly is felt by the people on the street.

Glen captures the New Yorker cover partly. It was about what is and what is not socially acceptable in discourse, but it was more than that. It was also about the perverse rumors that are being spread just below the surface. People are still struggling with Obama's membership to Trinity. People still wonder more than anything how did they expose their children to Rev. Wright? The radical depiction of Michelle were more troubling to me. Barack can handle it, but Michelle is being attacked with even more vigor than HRC was in 1991.

There were two recent excellent op/eds in the WaPo last weekend worth reading on this subject.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...071802560.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...071802557.html

Last edited by sp3akthetruth; 07-23-2008 at 08:11 PM..
Old 07-23-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Anyway, can we talk about the weather now?
Agreed
Glenn and John, don't go changin' anything because of the comment section. The weather discussion is just fine.

Quote:
Had to make a quick correction, just at the ouset: Jackson did not refer to Obama as a n*gger; he accused Obama of talking down to "n*ggers."
I heard the "talking down to the black people" quote, are you saying he made the same point earlier, and use the nword? or did he say something else? Just curious...
This brings me to what I consider the more disturbing and obvious point, which is what in the hell was he doing at Fox News in the first place? Entering the metaphorical lion's den?
Even if one is brave enough to walk through the valley of the shadow, TV is a media, especially when wielded by the crews at Fox News, that can make it look like you walked through a nursery school instead.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Glenn Gets his "Preacher" On!

First off, thanks to Bob for getting John McWhorter and Glenn Loury to do a regular segment on BHTV. It really is the gold standard pairing of the BHTV stable.

I thought that this

http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/130...8&out=00:13:00

was an incredibly moving elucidation of Glenn's point of view. Thank you Glenn. I truly hope you get a big-time job in Obama's administration if he gets elected.

Talk about the weather all you fuckin' want guys. Just keep giving us this great stuff. You both rock!! -- Uncle Ebeneezer
Old 07-23-2008, 09:37 PM

I almost didn't post that comment because I asked myself, Would I say the same thing if Condeleeza Rice or Clarence Thomas were the candidate?

But the answer is yes. (Perhaps even more so, since they are both descendants of slaves.)

A black president of the USA is a monumental human rights achievement. The blight of Western racism (white supremacy) has affected the whole world, and the whole world is paying attention to the significance of Obama abroad among heads of state.

Obama's election won't absolve the West of responsibility. It won't suddenly catapult us to a "post-racial" society. The civil rights struggle will continue far behind January of 2009. But Obama's nomination and potential election is a historic milestone for Europe, America and the world.
--Psalm 34:15
Old 07-23-2008, 09:45 PM

For what it's worth, my best pal is with the US State Department. He keeps telling me how it's impossible to overstate how big a deal the Obama thing is overseas.

Then again, with Hillary we might have had the ALI G vote. (starting 00:55)

Ahhh. the missed opportunities...
Old 07-23-2008, 10:17 PM

C´mon Guys: I could never, ever support the idea of Senator Obama as President of USA - not because he is ¨colored¨- please! At least he has clearly moved beyond the particulars of his genetic heritage - get over yourselves - he has. My problem is his overly intellectual bent - should he be enshired in a institution of higher education - yes!!! - but can he crank out the nitty-gritty of the everyday dirty compromises required of used-car salesmen? No!! He would be our next Woodrow Wilson - not good. President Wilson set the world up for horrors that the following generations suffered. And he meant well.

Racism is a fiction - invalidated individuals, invalidated communities are realities. But you two are not there yet - but Barack Obama is. The world is full of adversity for all kinds of people - Jesse Jackson fought that in all ways he could and can - but primarily as a man, not primarily as a black man. You two need to consider that.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:35 PM

Krauthammer has literally nothing to say. His whole point is that Obama is nothing, whereas Reagan was a person of substance. Reagan's contribution to the end of the cold war is the same as my contribution to the sunrise today: sure, I was around when it happened, but I didn't cause it.

I also think Glenn is off base on the Brandenburg Gate thing. Since when is it surprising when a politician chooses a significant or resonant setting for an event? Or is it only a big deal when Obama does it?
Old 07-23-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
Racism is a fiction
Really? You don't want to say something like "the effects of whatever racism still exists in our society are dwarfed by the effects of" something else? You really want to claim that racism does not exist at all, from anyone, against anyone, in any relevant way?

That seems...hmmm...that doesn't seem "true."

And I shudder to think that an apparently literate person could write
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
At least he has clearly moved beyond the particulars of his genetic heritage
in a post also claiming racism does not exist, read it without realizing that no matter what you might have meant this would surely sound like an incredibly racist statement, and not immediately delete or otherwise edit that sentence; I mean, the button's right there, man.

Just, no, Michael, no.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exeus99 View Post
Really? You don't want to say something like "the effects of whatever racism still exists in our society are dwarfed by the effects of" something else? You really want to claim that racism does not exist at all, from anyone, against anyone, in any relevant way?

That seems...hmmm...that doesn't seem "true."

And I shudder to think that an apparently literate person could write in a post also claiming racism does not exist, read it without realizing that no matter what you might have meant this would surely sound like an incredibly racist statement, and not immediately delete or otherwise edit that sentence; I mean, the button's right there, man.

Just, no, Michael, no.
You might be a chauvinist troll, but I have to say I almost posted something virtually identical to this. Nicely said.

Last edited by AemJeff; 07-23-2008 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: mispell/typo
Old 07-23-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Back at ya.
Lesser of two evils only in the sense that we are offered limited options.
But, I don't share the media generated disdain for either of the candidates. Isn't it simultaneously true that the media is engaged in Obama's coronation, while also pumping slander and innuendo?
Aren't they primping up McCain while also starting to enumerate the gaffes and the age meme?
The media and the candidates are flawed humans, can we let them join the club? The aura of the Presidency assigns impossible standards to the judgment process.
Don't try that fancy psychologizing on me...

But I have to admire Obama's moxie. As they say at eucre, 'go big or stay at home.'
Old 07-23-2008, 11:43 PM

Chef:

Don't know why, but I've never thought to look for Ali G on YouTube. Many thanks for the reminder. Guy's a genius.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
Chef:

Don't know why, but I've never thought to look for Ali G on YouTube. Many thanks for the reminder. Guy's a genius.
Thanks Chef. Your not Issac Hayes, are you?

I agree on Cohen as Ali G, but recoil at his Borat character. At least the movie version of the over extended joke.
Namely: some Amuricans are stoopid and prejudiced. While plausible, not exactly news or funny ha-ha.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
I agree on Cohen as Ali G, but recoil at his Borat character. At least the movie version of the over extended joke.
Namely: some Amuricans are stoopid and prejudiced. While plausible, not exactly news or funny ha-ha.
Never saw the whole Borat movie. The clips that I've seen were hilarious, I thought. I suppose any joke can be drawn out too long, but I have a feeling that I wouldn't have shared your reaction in this case. On the other hand, there's no getting around the fact that I was never sufficiently motivated to go see it.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks Chef. Your not Issac Hayes, are you?

Hmmm. Nope. I'm just a white guy. But I would so dig it if people would read my posts as if it were Isaac Hayes's voice.

Except then they might associate me with Scientology.

I kind of agree that Borat was the same joke over and over, but I suppose I just have low tastes. And you can't feel too bad about Brits making fun of us Yanks, because all their other jokes are based on their own self-loathing.

It's their way of asking us to join their club.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
Chef:

At the risk of sounding like a prat, I'll mention that Youtube has a lot of Mitchell and Webb videos. It might not be your kettle of tea, but I'm a huge fan.

The Humor is very British, of course, but it's top notch. And they do some funny ribbing of Americans in their other series called "Peep Show"

um. Cheerio.