Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > General comments on Bloggingheads.tv
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

General comments on Bloggingheads.tv Post comments about our website here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2012, 01:54 PM

Default Re: holy cannoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhatharry View Post
Yes, you must take my word for it...or read the post where I originally quoted him.
Still no link or context. Thinking you are diverting attention or just being lazy I searched for this guys work, and Goddard institute or not, he, like you, is not doing his cause any favors with hyperbolic editorializing. And probably should not hold a government financed research position.
Like I said, there's nuts on both sides of this issue. And truth be told I wish to god you were right, that this is no big deal, or a hoax, or not as bad as it's made out to be, Unfortunately, you're not.

But regardless of who is right or wrong on this issue, the consequences of your side being wrong are far more negative than if the opposite were true IMO:

If the overwhelming majority of Scientists are wrong, but measures are taken to limit CO2 emissions, we will have extended our immediately usable energy supply indefinitely, limited other toxic pollutants, given ourselves the gift of energy independence and the increased national security that comes with it.
The move to produce cleaner, sustainable American energy will offset what ever we lose not buying oil from the now globalized fossil fuel industry.

If you are wrong, then our descendants are going to think you are the biggest assholes that ever walked the face earth, and they will be able to make a very compelling case.

I really, sincerely, and deeply wish you turn out to be right, but we still endeavor to go the cleaner independent route.
But my bullshit meter says you are betting all our farms on a dangerous global corporate agenda. Good luck with that!

Added:Just to be clear, however, Hanson does not include his hyperbolic observations in his work on this subject.
But in light of this I now concede my statement would be more accurate if changed from:
No one with an actual, factual ax to grind would need to resort to this kind of false equivalence.
To:
No one with an actual, factual ax to grind should need to resort to this kind of false equivalence.

Last edited by handle; 02-01-2012 at 04:05 PM..