Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > General comments on Bloggingheads.tv
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

General comments on Bloggingheads.tv Post comments about our website here.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:23 AM

Default A quick survey

Commenter Cincinnatus wrote recently:

Quote:
Well, most of us have jobs, and aren't able to sit on bloggingheads all day,
He may be right, but I'd like to test the statement. I invite all commenters to say here if they are gainfully employed, unemployed, or retired -- no more details necessary.

I am unemployed.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:49 PM

Default Re: A quick survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winspur View Post

He may be right, but I'd like to test the statement. I invite all commenters to say here if they are gainfully employed, unemployed, or retired -- no more details necessary.

I am unemployed.
You should start a poll. When you start a new thread, if you scroll down to the bottom of the page you have an option to format a poll. I would suggest you do that.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:33 PM

Employed. 37.5 hrs a week. Yes, that's more humane than many others; I am lucky.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:52 PM

Employed. Make my own hours and do not keep records of my time put in. Disregarding outlier weeks, I'm probably around 40-50 hours/week.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:00 PM

Okay, I work 40 hours + 24hrs on call by phone once every 7-9 days. And in addition I'm starting a private practice.

I suddenly got exhausted just from reading the above...
Old 10-22-2011, 03:17 AM

Quote:

I am unemployed.
Full-time law student, so 16 hours a week in classrooms, plus reading, research, outlining, writing, etc.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:21 AM

I got a job, too. Forty hours, not including lunch breaks.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:52 AM

Retired. No legal right to work in France, but that may change soon. But if I were to work, it might be as a musician. Supposed to be working on book projects but spending too much time on the Internet. Hope to post less in these forums soon. Tempus fugit. I really had no idea, it's terrifying.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:40 AM

Free-lance translator, with a penchant for speculating and losing on the stock market. So: basically an idler and n'ere-do-well with periods of frenetic activity. Otherwise a reader, a speculator (the other kind), flâneur.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:03 PM

Full-time engineer/"architect" in the defense/space industry doing system design and software development.

Last edited by AemJeff; 10-22-2011 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: why'd I use the British spelling of "defense"?
Old 10-22-2011, 08:06 PM

I worked most of my career as an educator, freelance journalist (pre-blogs) and translator.

Now that our kids are grown up and I have enough money to get by, I'm learning new skills and only accepting work that I really enjoy and find meaningful.

Here is my work week and salary:

4 hours as bus driver for disabled and senior passengers. Pay: 0

3 hours as Hospital Emergency Dept. gopher and patient/family support person. Pay: 0

3 hours as Hospital non-emergency gopher and patient/family support person. Pay: 0

3 hours as Hospice Volunteer, visiting and assisting advanced dementia patient(s) Pay: 0

3 hours as Meals on Wheels delivery boy (currently laid off due to federal and state funding cuts). Pay: 0

2 hours as co-chair of an peace and social justice NGO. Pay: 0

3 hours as Spanish translator/copy editor. Pay: $100/hour.

*&^$#$(*&^ hours* as BloggingHeads addict. Pay: 0

*Obscene number
--Psalm 34:15
Old 10-23-2011, 04:17 PM

You really are a saint!
Old 10-23-2011, 05:03 PM

No, but I am a staunch advocate for volunteering in our local communities, especially for people my age who have enough money to get along, are in good health and who want to keep learning new skills and providing services that are appreciated and sorely needed.

The transition to "retirement" and to acceptance of ageing is difficult for a lot of us. When I hit my early sixties (I'm 64 now) and decided I didn't want to teach anymore, I was floundering for purpose and a sense of vocation for a while. Volunteering, for me, has really eased a lot of that angst and provided considerable joy.
--Psalm 34:15
Old 10-24-2011, 09:10 AM

Employed.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:17 AM

Self employed cabinetmaker. Work is sparse but I'm developing a product which will hopefully take off and reap untold riches.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticDoc View Post
You really are a saint!
Seconded.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderment View Post
When I hit my early sixties (I'm 64 now) and decided I didn't want to teach anymore, I was floundering for purpose and a sense of vocation for a while. Volunteering, for me, has really eased a lot of that angst and provided considerable joy.
There was an email going around where I work a few weeks ago, with the following attached:

I think it's interesting who's listed as the happiest -- often people who are exposed to some of the greatest suffering, or at least some of the lives facing the greatest challenges. And yet, because their lives are committed to helping other people, they are among the happiest people in our society.

These surveys were also going around with the email:

The 10 Most Hated Jobs and The Ten Happiest Jobs.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:42 PM

Thanks to everyone who responded! I just found the option to create a poll, but I'm just not that interested in generating statistics out of this.

TwinSwords, your chart is refreshing.

Last edited by Winspur; 10-25-2011 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: duh
Old 10-27-2011, 08:42 PM

Gainfully self employed.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:40 AM

I am employed, although I don't have as much work right now as I'd like to. Hopefully, this will change by the end of the year.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:26 PM

40+ hrs in Solar energy industry. 2 bands: 1 original (not much pay), 1 jazz trio with bi-weekly paid gig and whatever parties/weddings etc. we can dig up. But recession has really dried things up. It's MUCH harder to find pay gigs nowadays and when you do places are paying far less than they were 5 years ago.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer View Post
1 jazz trio with bi-weekly paid gig and whatever parties/weddings etc. we can dig up. But recession has really dried things up. It's MUCH harder to find pay gigs nowadays and when you do places are paying far less than they were 5 years ago.
Eb, let me be the first to wish you success in your second career as a musician. What kind of jazz do you play? As for boosting your income, maybe a few more 18th birthday parties in Connecticut for the daughters of the 1% would be more lucrative!
Old 10-29-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:

I am unemployed.
I might be too late in commenting but I found this interesting. My job involves, largely, interviewing other people about their jobs. So, I found the comments about jobs people like and don't like really interesting.

Generally, I found that the type of job had nothing to do with whether people were happy in them or not. I met senior executives and professional people who were miserable for all sorts of reasons, and some who were quite satisfied. And I met people in "low level jobs" who felt extremely fulfilled and happy.

An example of the former was an astrophysicist who was visiting from the old Soviet Union. (I met him in a social situation, not job related). By way of conversation I said it must be a fascinating career, and he said, "Yes, but I always wanted to be a farmer". I met a professional engineer, in a work related interview, who was very unhappy and finally quit his job to start a landscaping business.

I met a man who was basically a labourer, looking after parks, but he was the proudest person I ever met. He told me that this park was in the national capital of the country and what he did, sometimes planting tulips, was a service to everybody, a symbol of what is great about the country. He was critical of local people who sometimes dropped litter in the park. He felt they didn't understand how sacred this place was. He said it's not theirs, it belongs to the whole country. Even the prime minister of the time couldn't have had more of a sense of pride and service to his people.

So, I guess, when it comes to jobs, it's all about what you make of them. Any job is a privilege. I, personally, believe strongly in the "right to work" and in the old fashioned notion of the work ethic.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:46 PM

nice
Old 11-02-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
As for boosting your income, maybe a few more 18th birthday parties in Connecticut for the daughters of the 1% would be more lucrative!
Is this a reference to something that I'm missing?

A great idea. We play in Beverly Hills so we are definitely playing to alot of 1%'ers. Every week I have to ask the mgmt to change the tv's from FoxNews to Monday Night Football. The 1% definitely don't tip as much as one I would hope. We do alot of traditional standards but try to mix in some re-workings of modern rock tunes as well.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:46 AM

I am no longer an avid thread watcher or poster anywhere, though I very much used to be. Formerly, I was employed at a job with a cubicle and internet access, and I was constantly behind in my duties and deep in trouble for it. My current employment has no such amenities and I'm better off for it.