Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-30-2008, 12:11 PM

Exclamation Obama wears $520 Ferragamo loafers!!!

Imported from Italy, with fancy silver Gancini buckles. What an effete elitist faggot liberal! This will be all over cable news by sundown.

Conservatives: Are you drooling yet? Dreaming about how this juicy tidbit, er, very important story will be used by the media to delegitimize Barack Obama? To prove how he is out of touch with the struggles of your humble existence?

Sorry, my mistake, those aren't Obama's fancy shoes. They're McCain's.

Christopher Hayes:

Quote:
Let's Play: If I Were a Right Wing Blogger

If I were a right-wing blogger, and I found out that Barack Obama was wearing Ferragamo loafers that cost $520, I would spend about 50% of my waking hours making sure everyone knew this. I would mock him for being an out-of-touch elitist and make jokes like, "If you think that's a lot, you should see how much his purse costs " I would send the link to Drudge and wait for Instapundit to pick it up, and then watch gleefully as Fox News ran segments about how Barack Obama's $500 loafers vitiate his entire economic platform.

But of course, I'm not a right-wing blogger. And the $520 shoes belong to John McCain. And frankly, I don't think how much his shoes cost matters one whit for how he'd govern the country.

Atrios:

Quote:
While Obama's consumption of orange juice at breakfast was proof he was deeply out of touch with normal America, John McCain's $500 shoes are further proof that he is indeed a man of the people with whom most people would want to BBQ with. Except they wouldn't.

These zombie narratives (Democrats are out of touch, effete, elitist, and Republicans are rugged men of the people) are so ingrained that no amount of facts or reality can stop the bobbleheads from repeating them.