Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-14-2008, 05:01 PM

Default Off topic

University of Bloggingheads

This was a really interesting diavlog, sorry this post isn't really about it though, and I haven't read the comments --- I will later.

I'm educating myself about politics more, and for the first time really questioning certain items of "received wisdom", and this site is a real find.

I frankly admit that I don't know enough about the subject to make substantial comments in the comments section, yet. Forgive the bad writing.

Anyhow, I'm trying to get a clearer image so to speak of some of the regular Bloggingheads here.

For instance: On first encountering Robert Wright and Mickey Kaus in one of their diavlogs one is frankly confused. (Ok speaking for myself).

Apparently, they are good friends, or are they? They seem to be to have different political views and sympathies, but sometimes they seem to be saying "We actually pretty much agree on everything and any "tension" is just an act".

Mr Wright will sometimes (not often) say bizarre things to Mr Kaus or about him, that seem oddly ---- uncharacteristic (Of course I really can't speak on this, just an impression).

So, I am doing some reading to try to get a bigger picture.

I have purchased Mickey Kaus' book: The End of Equality, Wright's Non-Zero: The Logic of Human Destiny, and Marglin's The Dismal Science: How Thinking Like an Economist Undermines Community (which just arrived).

I've just finished the Kaus book. Debating about whether or not I should be the first one on Amazon to review it. I mean it's a political book that was written in 1992. How fair is it to comment on it at all? Is it really just to assume that an author has the same views that he did twenty years ago about Liberalism? Especially in this case--- I have to research Neo-Liberalism, which apparently Kaus espouses now (this factoid found in Wiki not his book). Thanks to his book I have a better idea about what "Civic Liberalism" is about, which he espoused back then.

I have strong, mixed, feelings about the Kaus book. (If you do read what on discovery seems to be a rather obscure, forgotten, book ---Be sure to read the last two paragraphs hidden in the Acknowledgments: So much illuminating info packed into such a small space!)

Will discuss at next Wright/Kaus Bloggingheads. (Hopefully, by that time I'll be done with the other books, too, although each seems to make the demand on me to do other reading, before even beginning them (like superficially investigating game theory) in order to grasp the concepts in these books, but I'll do my best).

I was going to ask Brendan about how to insert "emoticons" before I read about how he feels about the subject, so I'll resist. I happen to like emoticons.

note to Brendan: I don't know how well I'll be able to "emote" less in posting, after all.