Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-2010, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Values Added: I Like The Questions (Mollie Ziegler Hemingway & Frances Kissling)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucds View Post
Just to clarify, Mollie ZH isn't simply a "Lutheran." She's a member of the off-shoot Missouri Synod Lutheran sect. They are not part of the World Lutheran Federation, but a smaller association of fundamentalist who come out of the Lutheran tradition. Just for starters, these folks believe in "Biblical inerrancy." Which is every bit as crazy as it sounds. Also "Young Earth Creationism." And that the Pope is the "Anti-Christ." That's a literal statement from their "Book of Concord", which is key to the scriptures for this outfit. And of course, they will not ordain women. So when you hear "Lutheran", be aware of the Varieties of Lutheran Experience. Some are still locked in the 19th Century - the early part!

Which reminds me, when will we have a Science Saturday discussion of flying saucers by folks who gather annually at Roswell New Mexico?
I am not sure if I would call the Missouri Synod folks an "off-shoot". Everything is an off-shoot, including the more mainline ELCA. And as wacky as the Missouri folks are, they are nowhere near wacky enough for the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod. And they are many more even smaller branches of Lutheranism - both in the US and around the world.

This is true of every xian sect. The Presbyterians have the "mainline" PC(USA) and the fundamentalist PC in America. Plus numerous smaller ones.

And it goes on for very variety of xianity.

So xians demand respect they feel is inherently owed them. But different xian sects cannot even agree among themselves. Different sects regard each other as apostates. Most protestants think that catholics are not even xian - but useful allies in the culture wars. And of course mormons are just plain evil. And baptists say they are not protestants (i.e. arising out of the protestant reformation, entirely different from the English reformation which gave us the Anglican/Episcopal tradition which is falling apart) - since they claim lineage back to the early xian church before the Roman church took control.

And we are supposed to take these beliefs seriously?