Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2011, 08:55 PM

Default Re: The absurdity of liberal internationalists

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBoy View Post
It is absurd to believe that the Taliban would have turned over Osama bin Laden on threat of international sactions when the Taliban refused to turn him over on threat of international invasion. I know highly educated liberal internationalists believe this sort of thing, but no ordinary person could be such a fool.
I am not convinced that sanctions would have been effective in forcing the Taliban to turn over OBL either.

However, I think it is crazy that the US intellectual class is completely unaware that the Taliban DID offer to try OBL and were open to extraditing him-- if they were provided evidence. (Here's one source; there are many others.) Whether these offers were a sham we will never know, as they were rejected out of hand by the Bush administration. I personally do not think that providing evidence of some kind to the Taliban is a ridiculous demand, particularly if it would have saved thousands of lives-- both Afghan civilians and US/Nato troops. Plus, the international criminal hunt could have still proceeded full force, with probably much more immediate effect.

Again, the Taliban offers may have been a sham, but they were not pursued and are now completely unknown to even the more liberal US elites (like RW, whom I respect immensely, by the way... I love his interviews of any and all kinds).