Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2011, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Ostracize Dan Savage

I will say that the "saddlebacking" thing seems worse than the Santorum thing. Santorum can take care of himself; he's a big boy. But a term coined to denote Christian teens having anal sex? Count me out.

On Bob and his stance on Ann Coulter, it's not clear that he said something like, "any and all cases of condemnable rhetorical behavior, aside from context, should result in the person responsible being ostracized." Rather, it could be a more holistic judgment of Ann Coulter, which would include background, context, etc. What's happening here is a kneejerk assumption that we must equally condemn everyone who engages in very questionable polemical tactics. There could be more to it than that.

I will say that I just watched Dan Savage have a civilized conversation with some give and take that required some minimal degree of intellectual responsibility. I've never seen that with the perpetually bombastic Ann Coulter. I even leaned toward Ross' view in the abstract (I say it that way because I'm in favor of gay marriage and I'm not sure Ross is), but I didn't think Dan's contribution was beyond the pale. Ann Coulter comes across as not a person at all, but something like a rhetoric robot.