Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2010, 12:34 AM

Default Re: An Advertisement for Openness (Glenn Greenwald & Matt Welch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by operative View Post
We're talking about his domestic policy, not his foreign policy platitudes.
So, your stance is that you don't think he has much to say about the direction domestic economic affairs should head? Too much to link, just do some research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by operative View Post
And then out of the other side of his mouth he championed the work of a stupid Holocaust denier. He is also on record in private conversations expressing skepticism about the Holocaust. He's mentally deranged, and as Mao's writings also illustrate, consistency is generally not present in genuinely deranged people.
I would love to hear about these "private conversations." The link I provided shows a quote that goes much further in the direction of condemning Holocaust denialism than I think you probably have-- and he has said things to this effect many times. Have you debated Holocaust deniers?

As a libertarian, he supports the freedom of speech. When a loathesome French "intellectual" became subject to prosecution by the French state, he wrote an essay expressing the value of the freedom of speech and of the press (which, to be clear, is much more protected in the US than in other Western nations). This was immediately hailed as evidence that Chomsky was a holocaust denier! Please don't tell me that you can't tell the difference between the ACLU and the tea-partiers, KKK'ers, and anti-globalization protesters for whom they fight to be free of first-, fourth-, and fifth-amendment rights violations.

Ughh, that sentence was a complete mess. Sorry, operative, I've got to call it a night soon.

Being a first grade teacher, I don't accept excuses from a kid who has just thrown sand in another kid's face-- he can't just say, "Well, there's this other kid who was punching this girl in the playground that I saw on TV. How come you aren't making THEM sit out?" I have to say, "Give me a break. Sit out. You throw sand again, you're going to stay in the office for recess." I know that this allegory probably made NO sense whatsoever to you, but it totally does to me. And with that, I bid you good day. Maybe we'll pick up again tomorrow.