Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-29-2010, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Science Saturday: Neuroedition

"Recursive Loop of Woe"

What a beautiful turn of phrase for such a painful experience as depression.

John, again, bemoans the lack of a "grand-unifying-field-theory" in psychiatry. I think I recall him even using the term "paradigm shift." Natural systems theory or Bowen theory is such a paradigm shift.

The unique contribution of Bowen Theory is to "think systems." The linear thinker assumes A causes B, B causes C, C causes D, etc. The multiple cause thinker assumes A plus B plus C causes D. The systems thinker seeks to identify all variables involved in a problem, and to understand the interaction and balance between ALL of the variables:

A------------B

C------------D

(Pardon me but I am unable to make my computer draw arrows to and from each variable to each of the others. Imagine a box with an "X" in the middle to represent the interconnections).

"Family Evaluation" by Michael Kerr, MD

In "The Drama of the Gifted Child" psychotherapist Alice Miller has a brilliant description of the struggle between depression and grandiosity which dovetails perfectly with Bowen Theory.

There is real science to be understood here and it requires shifting ones view of focus from the neuron up to include the family system which is the crucible of all human life. Systems thinking is a wonderful paradigm shift and worth the effort! I'm just sayin...:-)