Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-19-2012, 04:28 AM

Default Re: Another Victim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhatharry View Post
Billy Holiday...the list is long.

Great story and I am eternally ashamed about the crap you had to endure but here's my take...Whitney doesn't come close to your experience (Etta probably does).

Whitney was given the world on a silver platter. She looked at it and upended it. She's not the only one, of course, but her generation doesn't hold a candle to yours.

However... that girl could sing.
the crap one has to endure is relative to one’s frame of mind. family is the crucial element in emotional stability. i stand on the shoulders of giants. i don’t know about Whitney’s family other than the artistic make-up(show-biz). being Aretha’ s god-child is not actually a compliment. character is a strange metric, but it is our structual foundation. i don’t know, time is funny, but pain is where you find it.

in terms of what has happened to african-americans in this country, i’ve lived a priviledged life. i was a star up until i was 12 yrs. old and my dyslexia kicked in. i was miseriable until at 13 years of age i read that “there is nothing so uncommon as common-sense”. then i reasoned, that “then what is common must be uncommon-sense”. every since then things kind-of fell into place and, i have just been unhappy! it sounds trivial, yet i find it a reasonal trade-off. i am content!

from 13 on, everynight i listened to Billy Holiday and John Coltrane before i went to bed. i would wake-up to “lazy bone” by Sonny Stitt. i am impossible to get along with, but my wife of 45 yrs has managed it. i guess she says like Billy did “the difficult i’ll do right now, the impossible will take a little while, i say, i’ll care forever, and i mean forever, even if i have to hold up the sky, crazy they call me, sure i’m crazy, crazy in love am i”.

i met trane in “64” at the half note in new york. his manager had brought me, my sister, and two friends to the club. i asked trane if he would play “I want to talk about you”(the tune that i listened to almost every night from his soultrane album). he was drunk, and looked at me and said “no kid i am too far beyond that”. i apologized for bothering him, and went back to my seat and gulped down a drink (the table was full of drinks, because there was a 2 drink minumum, and they brought them all at once). all in all, it was a hell of a good night!!

A Love Supreme, A Love Supreme!!!

Jimmy Garrison!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Uhurusasa; 02-27-2012 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: A Love Supreme