Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > General comments on Bloggingheads.tv
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

General comments on Bloggingheads.tv Post comments about our website here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2012, 12:22 PM

Default Re: An Important Note to Our Valued Commenters from Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhatharry View Post
Well, I must admit I skipped the tortured diavlogs where Bob explained the ins and outs of bhtv's troubles but it seems that since he is such a skilled writer he could have/ should have spelled it out clearly.

Since popularity seems to have such value in the blogosphere it seems a shame that the solid group which has collected here would be squandered. Getting known is half the battle. I guess the other half is figuring out how to pay the bills.
I really do think Bob did what he had to do (implementing Disqus), rather than what he wanted to do. And given the dire turn, he seems to sincerely be trying to preserve the community and encourage us to adapt to the new platform. And I think pretty quickly he will come to accept that it just isn't going to be possible. There's no way Disqus will ever be able to be a substitute for what we have (or had) here. It really is an unmitigated disaster over there. There's no way to see all the active discussions at once, it takes several clicks to jump between threads, and you don't even know if there will be any new comments until you get there. And FINDING the new comments is pure torture -- you literally have to scroll up and down the whole thread eyeballing each post to see if it's new.

People just won't do it.

There's a reason why the discussion on other Disqus threads is almost entirely superficial and shallow: Disqus cannot support what Bob provided us with here, when he gave us vBulletin.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Bob will hear us out and, if it's at all possible, restore vBulletin. It might take a while, per his comment yesterday, but he's obviously concerned about the transition to Disqus and interested in how it's being received.

I have to say: The rest of the redesign is quite nice. It's been lost in all the commotion about vBulletin, but I think the other changes they made are quite good!