Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 12-13-2007, 09:12 AM
BhTV staff

Default Goodbye to All That Green

Robert Wright writes:

Welcome to the first post-redesign diavlog. To comment on this diavlog, you’ll have to register for our new forum (vBulletin). Commenters who want to keep their usernames from the old forum (and we encourage that!), can do so by following these instructions.

If you want to kvetch about the redesign--or even say something nice about it--we've started a thread in vBulletin for that. We'll be reading the comments with an eye to improving the site where feasible. Thanks for enduring this transition. We hope you think it's worth it.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:04 PM

Cool Re: Goodbye to All That Green

First!

If the link in your password reset e-mail doesn't work, replace "bloggingheads.tv" in the URL with "brainwaveweb.com".

Greetings from Slovenia!
Old 12-13-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Goodbye to All That Green

Thanks for this it allowed me to finally get Logged in. I'm mow 30 minutes into the diavlog and have spent more time in trying to get logged in instead of listening to the diavlog.

Last edited by piscivorous; 12-13-2007 at 01:16 PM..
Old 12-13-2007, 01:54 PM

Thumbs up Re: Goodbye to All That Green

Love the new site design guys. Thanks for putting up this diavlog, I was looking for something to give me the excuse to avoid doing my dissertation.

This stuff is better than TV. Well maybe not better than Heroes but its pretty good lol.

BTW I am a Scottish viewer. I live in Glasgow.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:10 PM

If a person or organization is willing to torture someone else to prevent a hypothetical catastrophe like a nuclear attack or whatever, that person shouldn't shirk at the possibility that he will be imprisoned because of it. Presumably, if the Jack Bauer scenario actually emerged, that could be used to exculpate our supposed torturer (but I saved Manhattan!). And I think it puts the risks in the right place: if you are going to perform horrific and inhumane acts, you had better have a damn good reason for it. If the person getting tortured is innocent or otherwise lacking the information that was supposed to be in his possession, then, well, welcome to the judicial system. It shouldn't just be those we misjudge who suffer for our ethical and operational mistakes.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:56 PM

The new space is lovely--not too much white, but enough to make my old eyes happy. The green highlights are fresh, and the little orange accents here and there work well. White lettering on the gray, hmm, yea, its ok. Some of the light gray lettering gets lost. Big assets include pictures with the diavlog entry--makes it easier to skip those few bloggers I dislike (very few--the line up is always lively). The less-visited items like shopping exiled to the bottom is a good idea, although any marketing staff members may be chewing the carpet. Keep up the good work!
Old 12-13-2007, 02:16 PM

Oh yes, and hurrah for the redesign and all that. Although it seems to have consigned a huge chunk of forum to the dust bin of history. Which is where it was going anyway, but this is much faster. Yes yes, I know it can still be visited and all that.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:39 PM
BhTV staff

We're still working on getting the old threads and posts transferred from Phorum to vBulletin.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:38 PM

Alright. That's cool. I'm glad to see there's a post post editing function. I find myself, from time to time, really wishing I could edit something stupid that I said after posting.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:24 PM

I can't seem to change my password from the random digit one sent to me. It keeps saying my two new passwords don't match, even if I paste the same thing into both.

Also, a lot of the links seem broken.

For example, in the STICKY post by Brenda about accessing old phorum messages, which I would like to do, the link goes to the PHORUM website, not anything to do with Bloggingheads.tv. I don't know where those older phorums are.

The links sent in the email for resetting your password do not work; you need to do as Bob suggests and cut-and-paste the http://brainwaveweb.com/ before the part that starts 'forum/...'.

Last edited by Wolfgangus; 12-13-2007 at 02:29 PM..
Old 12-13-2007, 02:28 PM

Wolf:

There is a DNS transition going on right now, from brainwaveweb.com back to bloggingheads.tv. That could explain the broken links, and maybe even the resetting password problem. I'd say try again in an hour or two, and good luck.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:30 PM

Were you able to reset your password? Or access the old diavlog forums?
Old 12-13-2007, 02:52 PM

Wolf:

Quote:
Were you able to reset your password? Or access the old diavlog forums?
I was able to reset my password. I used the brainwaveweb.com URL instead of the bloggingheads.tv URL supplied in the email.

I can see the old Phorum forums, but they seem sluggish right now and won't let me post a new comment.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:32 PM

And BTW, is the heirarchical tree view of the format dead now? I notice my reply to you is not indented. Are we going to be limited to this crappy LISTING format, now? That would suck.

Oops. Never mind, I found the display mode options in the upper right.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:38 PM

Wow, I'm very much impressed with the redesign. It looks great and you managed to keep the ugly green I love so much. Kudos to all involved with it and I look forward to what's to come!
Old 12-13-2007, 02:26 PM

Congratulations on the unveiling, Bob. (Just posting this to see how the new forum software works, actually. (But I am sincere in congratulating you.))
Old 12-13-2007, 02:54 PM

Default Microsft Vs Apple user interface

Bob is correct that Apple in general is considered to be more user friendly. Then he waxes on about how hard it was to do a site design. Given the differences in development requirements. Apple dictates what hardware their software will work on while Microsoft operating systems are designed to hopefully work on an a vast array of different hardware. This allows Apple to dictate a larger share of it's development resources to be applied to the user interface and so I would hope that Apple would do a better job of it.

But the dictatorial policy of what hardware you had to purchase has historically meant that Apple computers were considerably more expensive to purchase than a generic Windows boxes. Would the existence of bh.tv be a reality if Microsoft had had a similar dictatorial policy and Windows boxes been as pricey. PCs are everywhere thanks to Microsoft not Apple with their elitist attitude of you buy what we say or nothing!
Old 12-13-2007, 02:55 PM

Default Is Bob Really that boring?

Mickey seems to think so.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:57 PM

I think there's too much white... the "boxes" need a light grey background.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:05 PM

Does your browser display DHTML menus behind the flash video the same as mine does?

I use Firefox on Ubuntu Linux.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:40 PM

Doesn't happen on firefox in Vista.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:07 PM

Oh, GREAT, is this thing going to automatically log us out every 30 minutes?

God how I hate crippled software. Do we really need to be this secure? Who chose the default options on this damn forum? They SUCK.

Plus it looks like we are going to live in Greenwich Mean Time, now.

AND it looks like we no longer have the "new" tag on post titles, so we can't scan for replies or new content. That's a loss.

Last edited by Wolfgangus; 12-13-2007 at 03:12 PM..
Old 12-13-2007, 03:10 PM

Wolf:

Did you check the box that says "remember me" when you logged in?

I did, and when I closed the browser and then came back, I did not need to log in again. I can't say anything about the time-out feature, but I suspect the two are related.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:45 PM
BhTV staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgangus View Post
Oh, GREAT, is this thing going to automatically log us out every 30 minutes?
Not "us," Wolfgangus. Just you.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
Not "us," Wolfgangus. Just you.
Brenda - you have to post more. I see a real vicious streak that just needs a place to express it.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Good job Mickey

He turned Bob's long spiel into comedy gold. It's the subtle touches.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:25 PM

Thank you, it is good to feel special. Now run along and fix that "NEW" problem on the thread view. Consider it your top priority (along with all your other top priorities, like making the treeview LARGER).
Old 12-13-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgangus View Post
Plus it looks like we are going to live in Greenwich Mean Time, now.
You can set your time zone on this page: [LIST][*]http://www.brainwaveweb.com/forum/pr...do=editoptions[/LIST]
Old 12-13-2007, 03:12 PM

Default Read Comments

Has anyone figured out what icon is used to mark comment that you have already read. I often come and go and appreciated the fact that I could come back to the form and distinguish read comments form unread. Or will we now have to remember which ones we are interested in following without having to reread the whole thread. As senility sets in I see this is a definite drawback.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:16 PM

pisc:

I just posted a similar gripe in the thread for comments on the redesign. I hope this issue gets addressed, since once a given thread has more than a few messages, it's going to be really hard to pick out the unread (new) ones.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:19 PM

Two suggestions -
This thread is for actual comments on the diavlog. Comments about and problems with the redesign should be made in Bloggingheads Community User comments General comments on Bloggingheads.tv The Bloggingheads Redesign

Second - change your settings. Go to the User CP (Control Panel) and pick things like your times zone, appearance, etc.

User CP Bloggingheads Community User Control Panel
Old 12-13-2007, 03:28 PM

don't really feel like switching between the forums so I will continue to post things I notice here. But thanks for the suggestion nanny
Old 12-13-2007, 03:29 PM

I automatically hate everything new on the grounds that old shit is always better than new shit. Grumble, grumble. I miss everything I once loved. I feel disoriented. I'm getting dizzy.

I know, let's call the forum a Crusade against Islamic Fascism and go bomb some foreigners. Then we can kick out all the Mexicans or people whose log-in names start with letters other than W. That will make me feel better.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:31 PM

Wonderment:

Quote:
Then we can kick out all the ... people whose log-in names start with letters other than W.
I'm pretty sure Wolfgangus shares your sentiments.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:34 PM

Since I figure a lot of people will be checking in here today, I will throw in a gratuitous plug for BloggingHead Rosa Brook's piece in my local rag the LA Times. A gem, reprinted below:

http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/12/13/5802/
Old 12-13-2007, 03:42 PM

Wonderment:

Always good to hear from Rosa. Thanks for the link.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:21 PM

PREcisely. Except for Bloggin' Noggin', he can stay. Brendan, you can stay if you change your name to Wbrendan.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:27 PM

Wolf:

Quote:
Brendan, you can stay if you change your name to Wbrendan.
Actually, that was the original spelling of my name. Unfortunately, the W was silent, and people kept forgetting it, so I eventually just dropped it.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Edwards as Huckabee

Edwards as Huckabee but only in a good way. This is response to both Mickey and Bob agreeing they don't like Edwards which fits in perfectly with how i see the Dem race. Obama is the media candidate. Clinton is the political establishments candidate. And Edwards is the peoples candidate (like Huckabee and Bob and Mickey are not people, they are gods). That's part of the reason Edwards polls so much better. He's simply more likable to the general population for various reasons, some probably good and some probably bad.

For me, I like Edwards the best as he is the most progressive combined with a good electability argument (somewhat mitigated by the fact that he is accepting public financing). He seems to suffer from an authenticity problem. But I've decided to totally dismiss these instinctual assessments political junkies and journalists seem to make every 4 years because the track record has been so bad. Edwards strikes these people as inauthentic just like Gore struck people as a fibber and Bush struck people as a compromiser. The track record is fairly bad on these sorts of assessment. I would not be surprised if the most "authentic" candidates in this race, namely Obama and Huckabee, end up being the most inauthentic. It's clear that people are very bad at figuring this out so I'm dismissing it. I prefer to focus on policy when I make my choices.

But with that said and knowing that too few people make choices based on policy, I may end up switching to Obama because being the media's candidate and being able to raise money may be the better combination to win next November and I like Obama a lot. Perhaps because he strikes me as authentic.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:50 PM

kj:

That's an interesting defense of Edwards.

I myself find him unlikeable. He seems like a phony to me -- not in Romney's league by any stretch, but still pretty bad. As far as I can tell, his policy proposals seem fine, but hardly distinguishable from Clinton's or Obama's. He also strikes me as inexperienced and not much of a leader. All visceral, and probably mostly irrational, but there it is.

I used to be more like you are now in rejecting the likeability factor. But now I've swung the other way, and decided that the new meme about "who do you want in your living room for the next four years?" has merit. For this reason, and a lot of other intangibles, I therefore choose Obama.