Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Stupid pointless flame wars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Stupid pointless flame wars Flame wars from diavlog threads are dumped here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)
All hope abandon, ye who enter in.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2010, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Picking Up the Gauntlet (Robert Wright & Mickey Kaus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian View Post
Thanks Preppy for taking the time to answer in such detail and so pointedly. Your remarks are a useful reminder that any minority, whatever it may believe about the superiority of its religion, is likely to suffer discrimination in a society which has only recently made a transition to western "individualism." That remark is not meant to be condescending. Just a statement of historical fact. It was Britain, after all, that began the process of breaking down the Hindu caste system. I am under no illusions about the injustices, and underlying racism, of that system. Have you ever read the works of the French anthropologist and sociologist, Louis Dumont? Homo Hierarchicus and his various books on the birth of modern individualism? I agree that Amartya Sen may paint a rather too rosy picture, based on his experience of the educated classes, of India's democratic ethos. I also agree that it would be fascinating to hear him debate Chatterjee (whom I have never read) on this subject.

Since the BHTV staff, in its infinite wisdom, has relegated this thread to purgatory (or hell?), I doubt if they will listen to you. They are too busy attending to trivia.
India is getting there. It'll take time, as you say, and lots of prodding from its Western allies though. So it's important that we in the West do not forget.

I've not read Dumont, but he's just been added to my list. Thanks for the recommendation.

Last edited by PreppyMcPrepperson; 08-02-2010 at 12:33 PM..