Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 09-09-2011, 04:03 PM
BhTV staff

Default The Week in Blog: Don't Let Your Freak Flag Fly (Bill Scher & Matt Lewis)

Old 09-09-2011, 05:41 PM

Default Re: The Week in Blog: Don't Let Your Freak Flag Fly (Bill Scher & Matt Lewis)

MSNBC used to be very irritating to me, but these days I mostly feel embarassed for the network. It is like a left wing cartoon, a twisted mirror of how the left feels about FOX.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/busted-ms...l-gun-footage/
Old 09-09-2011, 05:57 PM

Default Re: The Week in Blog: Don't Let Your Freak Flag Fly (Bill Scher & Matt Lewis)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulla the Dictator View Post
MSNBC used to be very irritating to me, but these days I mostly feel embarassed for the network. It is like a left wing cartoon, a twisted mirror of how the left feels about FOX.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/busted-ms...l-gun-footage/
LOL. I have to say, if that's the most sinister MSNBC gets (not using a shot at the same range as CNN), then they are certainly a very pale reflection of fox.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
LOL. I have to say, if that's the most sinister MSNBC gets (not using a shot at the same range as CNN), then they are certainly a very pale reflection of fox.
It isn't. It is just the most transparent editing job (Until Ed Shultz, that is, but this is more egregious). Don't think CNN used that video while suggesting that white racist tea partiers were plotting to kill the President with their dangerous guns though.

*CNN doesn't hide the skin color of the gun owner. If you watch that MSNBC loop,it is very short. It is edited to hide his pigment.

Last edited by Sulla the Dictator; 09-09-2011 at 06:04 PM..
Old 09-09-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
It isn't. It is just the most transparent editing job (Until Ed Shultz, that is, but this is more egregious). Don't think CNN used that video while suggesting that white racist tea partiers were plotting to kill the President with their dangerous guns though.

*CNN doesn't hide the skin color of the gun owner. If you watch that MSNBC loop,it is very short. It is edited to hide his pigment.
I saw this video a while back. These organizations (FOX included) are only in the business of getting you to watch their commercials, nothing more. The question is whether or not it's possible for people to be interested in honest reporting. Personally, I think they've tried, they've failed and this is the result. Now what?
Old 09-09-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:

Oh, noes!!! They showed a close up of the one Black guy out of 12 and didn't point out that he was Black!!!! The humanity.

This is the silliest thing since, well, the rape of Rick Santorum. So I guess it's small potatoes either way.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarkang View Post
I saw this video a while back. These organizations (FOX included) are only in the business of getting you to watch their commercials, nothing more. The question is whether or not it's possible for people to be interested in honest reporting. Personally, I think they've tried, they've failed and this is the result. Now what?
Well, there's always CNN, the Sarah Plain-And-Tall of Network News.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Well, there's always CNN, the Sarah Plain-And-Tall of Network News.
Aren't they almost dead in mind share? If so, that's what I mean.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Oh, noes!!! They showed a close up of the one Black guy out of 12 and didn't point out that he was Black!!!! The humanity.
Hmmm....right. We wouldn't want the facts to get in the way of a good story. Contessa Brewer and whats his name are very, very, concerned about the anger of white people and what that means for the President's safety. There is a history of racial violence in this country, after all. And they are so very, very concerned they can't spare the time to notice the guy they're showing to their liberal audience isn't white.

The narrative is too important to let inconvenient truths derail it.

Quote:
This is the silliest thing since, well, the rape of Rick Santorum. So I guess it's small potatoes either way.
Because Dan Savage is with the Angels, he can publically talk about his desire to have "angry violent" sex with Rick Santorum (Which is not rape, because according to you, there is a substantial chance Santorum is interested). And because Contessa Brewer is with the Good Guys, she can edit the video in whatever ways are necessary to make sure the propagand....story gets out.

What, exactly, is the critique of FOX? Remind me again of the sack and ash cloth sermonizing of the mid aughts, when we talked abotu journalistic integrity?
Old 09-09-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Because Dan Savage is with the Angels, he can publically talk about his desire to have "angry violent" sex with Rick Santorum
Wow, this is wrong. Was this in the diavlog or elsewhere? Link please.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Aren't they almost dead in mind share? If so, that's what I mean.
Also what I meant. ;-)

Their desperation is also showing dramatically. "please text vote on the news story you want us to cover next!" or whatever.

This recent clip is a pretty good diagnosis:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mo...xrs=share_copy
Old 09-09-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Wow, this is wrong. Was this in the diavlog or elsewhere? Link please.
You won't find "violent" any where (ironic that Sulla is insisting on twisting the story on his thread about how MSNBC is twisting the story). Savage was on politically incorrect; another guest talked about wanting to "hate-f**k" Michelle Bachmann. Dan Savage said he would like to f**k Rick Santorum. Sulla linked to the clip on the Dan Savage discussion.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Also what I meant. ;-)

Their desperation is also showing dramatically. "please text vote on the news story you want us to cover next!" or whatever.

This recent clip is a pretty good diagnosis:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mo...xrs=share_copy
Right, I saw that episode. I think it's why I've come to the conclusion that Jon Stewart -- as much as I love the guy -- wasn't right when he went on Crossfire to call Tucker Carlson a dick. It's not the media's fault, necessarily. They just show people what the people want to see. Apparently, that's reality TV and political narratives.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Now we let the market decide. MSNBC is going to learn a hard lesson that FOX learned about halfway through the Bush years; that ra-raism costs them credibility. Not journalistic integrity, mind you, MSNBC doesn't have any of that. But trust with their demographic. Conservative activists do discriminate in preference for Conservative pundits, and remember their positions on issues. FOX also learned that their bread was buttered with Conservative voters; not the White House. I still watch MSNBC on fair occasion, partially out of a vestigial old Catholic desire to moritify the flesh and partially to see how the other side thinks. I prefer to watch it especially after Democratic events. Until very recently, every single time these guys are pushing the White Houses' narrative. Until very recently, they were always painting the most rosy picture of Democratic fortunes, the economy, the action in Libya, and the President's political abilities.

And what is troubling about this is that when all of the policies are right, the President is a genius, "sort of like God", and your supporters are the very picture of virtue and light, then the only explanation for why things aren't better is a series of screeds against "wreckers", and "enemies". Thats who the Tea Party is; the GOP, the business community, most of the middle class, etc. Ed Shultz actually said that he believed the business community wasn't repatriating $2 trillion dollars to the US because they wanted the economy to tank so that Obama would be unseated. One MSNBC commentator suggested that GOP lawmakers who refused to vote for the President's job plan were traitors.

If the station had a wider viewership, I would be concerned.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Right, I saw that episode. I think it's why I've come to the conclusion that Jon Stewart -- as much as I love the guy -- wasn't right when he went on Crossfire to call Tucker Carlson a dick. It's not the media's fault, necessarily. They just show people what the people want to see. Apparently, that's reality TV and political narratives.
I suspect political narratives are secondary. I would be interested in Stewart's take on his earlier going on Crossfire. Who knew he was actually writing out CNN's death sentence?
Old 09-09-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
You won't find "violent" any where (ironic that Sulla is insisting on twisting the story on his thread about how MSNBC is twisting the story). Savage was on politically incorrect; another guest talked about wanting to "hate-f**k" Michelle Bachmann. Dan Savage said he would like to f**k Rick Santorum. Sulla linked to the clip on the Dan Savage discussion.
Miceelf; he didn't just say he wanted to have sex with Rick Santorum. He said that the first guy wasn't a sexist because he felt the same way about Rick Santorum. Meaning the only substitution is persons, not act.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I suspect political narratives are secondary. I would be interested in Stewart's take on his earlier going on Crossfire. Who knew he was actually writing out CNN's death sentence?
I didn't like the Carlson/Begala crossfire all that much, but I did enjoy the old Crossfire with Bill Press and Robert Novak. Its funny how old versions of that show, or even better, Firing Line, look like platforms for serious discussions in contrast to now.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Miceelf; he didn't just say he wanted to have sex with Rick Santorum. He said that the first guy wasn't a sexist because he felt the same way about Rick Santorum. Meaning the only substitution is persons, not act.
And, again, you appear not to understand the usual connotation of "hate-f**k." Or are conveniently forgetting.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
And what is troubling about this is that when all of the policies are right, the President is a genius, "sort of like God", ...
This reminds me of what Jonah Goldberg said about John Dewey. I'm paraphrasing here, but something to the effect of, "if man doesn't have religion, he'll create it within other institutions, like government."

Dewey is on my read list. The list never shrinks.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
And, again, you appear not to understand the usual connotation of "hate-f**k." Or are conveniently forgetting.
Perhaps in this second thread, this issue having to be discussed again illustrates why Dan Savage is a bad thing for political discussion. This should be beneath a healthy political life. But since you raise it, I took the time to consult the "urban dictionary", which I'm sure you will accept as the authoritative source for this.

The distinction between "hate fuck" and rape is the willingness of the victim. And according to the definition, that is really the only distinction.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=hate%20fuck

It assumes violence. It assumes power. It assumes trauma. It assumes humiliation. I have heard on bloggingheads from the feminist element that these are the elements of rape rather than sex. Volunteerism is the only distinction. I do not believe Rick Santorum is secretly gay; so I will err on the side of rape. Why should I be inclined to be generous in my interpretation of something which is so heinous on its face?

Now, I'd like you to review that urban dictionary; and consider whether or not someone who uses that phrase to describe his political opponents is someone you would like to defend, or who well represents your political and social values.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Now, I'd like you to review that urban dictionary; and consider whether or not someone who uses that phrase to describe his political opponents is someone you would like to defend, or who well represents your political and social values.
If we could have gotten past your silly assertions that Dan Savage was intending to rape Rick Santorum and that rape was the only interpretation that could be made of the statement- I wouldn't have said what Savage said, and I didn't like the whole conversation. But this neither proves: 1) either intent to, or joking about, rape, nor 2) Savage is as bad as Coulter.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I just watched it and you're right, it's not exactly the way Sulla describes it. However, I think he has a legitimate complaint on his hands. Before I get into that, let me first say that I don't care for political correctness. I don't care if the jokes are about cutting off dicks, or people getting hate fucked or Barack the magic negro or whatever. Jokes are crass and they'll always be funny to the in-group and denounced by the out-group.

But remember that red haired scientist interviewed by Ann Althouse a while back? What if after she had told her story about being afraid in the elevator, some commenter said that all she needed was a good old fashioned fucking and she needed to stop being so uptight? I'd find that to be pretty damn offensive. So, what makes this any different?

It's a battle of moral codes between left and right, to which the only reasonable compromise would be federalism. Until people start seeing this as a meaningful solution, we should all expect the shouting to continue.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I just watched it and you're right, it's not exactly the way Sulla describes it. However, I think he has a legitimate complaint on his hands.

Well, I think we might agree that he could have had a legitimate complaint. Had he stuck with something along the lines that Savage had said something offensive, I suspect most would have agreed with him.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
It's a battle of moral codes between left and right, to which the only reasonable compromise would be federalism.
that solves the issue how exactly?
Old 09-09-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Well, I think we might agree that he could have had a legitimate complaint. Had he stuck with something along the lines that Savage had said something offensive, I suspect most would have agreed with him.
So, he's hyperbolizing. That goes on a lot with the left on this board as well. Do we want new rules?
Old 09-09-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
So, he's hyperbolizing. That goes on a lot with the left on this board as well. Do we want new rules?
Who said anything about rules? I merely said that his characterization was silly.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Your true colors are showing, again!
Old 09-09-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Who said anything about rules? I merely said that his characterization was silly.
Agreed. But the same hyperbole goes on from the left, too. No?
Old 09-09-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Both sides do it? You're on both sides, right?
Old 09-09-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn_karate View Post
It would defuse the intensity of national politics. Part of the problem is that investing all power in the federal government makes every election vital to either party. And if everything depends on one election every two years, each election has elevated intensity.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I don't think as much. no. But YMMV. And I suspect you wouldn't be shy about calling out hyperbolizing when you saw it.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
If we could have gotten past your silly assertions that Dan Savage was intending to rape Rick Santorum and that rape was the only interpretation that could be made of the statement- I wouldn't have said what Savage said, and I didn't like the whole conversation. But this neither proves: 1) either intent to, or joking about, rape, nor 2) Savage is as bad as Coulter.
I didn't say it was the "only" interpretation; I said it was my interpretation. And it is an obvious interpretation if 1) You do not assume a willingness on behalf of Santurm and 2) You aren't inclined to be generous to Dan Savage.

Both are reasonable. Certainly nothing Ann Coulter has done is as offensive to me as Dan Savage's smear campaign against Santorum; let alone this "hate fuck" debate. I find Dan Savage reprehensible for even making me argue the point about this rape thing.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn_karate View Post
Why do you keep directing questions to the person you consider to be an ignorant fuck? This is especially odd when you have already made it clear that you expect nothing from me.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Why do you keep directing questions to the person you consider to be an ignorant fuck? This is especially odd when you have already made it clear that you expect nothing from me.
Answer the question counsellor, no time for pity. Plenty of time for posting though?
Old 09-09-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I don't think as much. no. But YMMV. And I suspect you wouldn't be shy about calling out hyperbolizing when you saw it.
I do what I can, but I'm more of a participant on these boards, not exactly an umpire. I'll always be biased towards what I think is right. I generally won't complain about people giving opinions unless they're lies and I know that they're lies. That's why I was silent about a lot of Apple's comments. I just wasn't in a position to judge.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz View Post
Answer the question counsellor, no time for pity. Plenty of time for posting though?
Who wants pity? The issue at hand is the rationality of the one who keeps posing the questions.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Who wants pity? The issue at hand is the rationality of the one who keeps posing the questions.
Did you pass the bar or are you just imbibing?
Old 09-09-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz View Post
Did you pass the bar or are you just imbibing?
Are you going to ask me for my long form birth certificate, too?
Old 09-09-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Are you going to ask me for my long form birth certificate, too?
Okay Justice Brennan, whatevs.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:57 PM

Matt - MSNBC did exactly as it should do post-debate, it performed as a caricature of itself and its TV audience dropped off in droves. God bless em that even they themselves don't take their professions seriously. All it does is further diminish a brand that is already in the dumper.

And I have to add that there is one clear distinction between Social Security and a true Ponzi scheme, a Ponzi scheme has voluntary membership (aka suckers) and citizens are compelled by law to contribute to SS. I guess you could call it a government-mandated Ponzi scheme (wait until Obamacare makes it look harmless by comparison).

To give the scheme its due, one similarity to a P scheme is that promoters/defenders never want to talk about the actual numbers.

Congrats to Obama on his Hail Mary, more of the same, OK all I can think to do is spend but public union benefits and campaign donations are on the line speech calling out straw men coast to coast.

To Bill, of course it was well-received on the left, he proposed almost half a trillion in wealth transference.

Having a good laugh seeing libs describe this as his 'signature economic plan' when all his previous signature economic plans have failed.

I didn't notice if the President himself described the plan as being 'signature' but let's hope it works out better than the ones he has branded such.

OK - you can go back to your argument over how bad Dan Savage wants to "f__k the s__t" out of Rick Santorum (nice poster on the wall man, class act but [shivers] TMI dood - would there be any other reaction from sane persons encountering that in a home/office other than a fast exit and application of a hand sanitizer?).

Last edited by harkin; 09-09-2011 at 10:02 PM..