Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2011, 11:21 PM

Default Re: The $14.5 Trillion Dollar Question (Adam Serwer & Dan Drezner)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Zeko View Post
I found this interesting, since I haven't yet made up my mind about the feasibility of slow zombies destroying civilization. Have you read World War Z? Like Dan, I enjoyed it quite a bit, and it includes a fairly detailed account of the mechanisms by which slow zombies almost win. If you've read it, did you find it plausible? If not, why not?
...maybe those detailed accounts of the mechanisms by which slow moving zombies almost win would be more plausible if the "Z virus" didn't make the zombies invulnerable to everything except head shots and also somehow turn zombies into perpetual motion machines. As for the enjoyability of the book; I enjoyed it. I really liked how instead of a narrative it was more a compendium of first hand accounts. I don't know why, but it gave World War Z an air of believability it would otherwise not have had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrick
Part of the appeal of zombie fiction is that it presents a new world with new rules. The more carefully the creators adhere to those rules, the more satisfying the fiction will be. The folks behind the miniseries aren't paying close attention to their own rules... they're just mashing up classic zombie elements (the slow stagger, the sudden apocalypse) without thinking about how those elements might or might not fit together. The result is decently entertaining, but it's not nearly as satisfying as it could be.
Part of the appeal of zombie fiction is that it is more akin to natural calamity books then it is to fiction about aliens or vampires invasions that have self-awareness and organizational hierarchies and thus are more like conventional war fiction.

Last edited by Starwatcher162536; 01-21-2011 at 11:55 PM..