Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 08-21-2008, 08:55 AM
BhTV staff

Default Like a Prayer

Old 08-21-2008, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Like a Prayer

classic.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:50 AM

Oh no! Bob misjudged where Ann is on the political spectrum-I hope Bob doesn´t fire Ann! Captivating diavlog.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:01 AM

Bob Wright's unending emphasis on ethical relativism and the question of 'whether Mccain cheated' is simply rediculous and casts a pall on my respect for him as a debater. Can we please get back to the substance of the debate rather than rhetorical tricks and nonsense to divert attention.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:23 AM

Default Thank God for Virtual Energy

Bob Wright and the classic progressive misconception:

http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/138...9:42&out=69:56

One PC consumes conservatively at least 200 watts. The average solar flux on the surface of the earth is 200 watts per square meter. There are currently about 2000 members in the Bloggingheads forum community, each member of which has at least one computer. Bob clearly assumes that there is, somewhere, 2000 square meters of solar energy being collected exclusively to keep his BH empire in the green.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:47 AM

Default Back in My Day

Ann: "Don't do the same old thing like chatboards in the 80's." I don't remember Ann on Arpanet.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:10 AM

AA was weird and dishonest a good 3 times in the first 5 minutes of the vlog. No one can sit in the green room with McCain because he was a POW? I know even she doesn't actually believe that. (And I say that as someone who thinks the 'cheating' thing was a lot of nothing, more or less. Even if it were 100% true, I'm not sure anyone should change their vote based on it.)

I get that 'Mickey drives the liberal commenters crazy' is a funny line, but I think Bob does him a disservice. I can't think of any time off the top of my head, over the course of hours and hours of talk, that I've thought he was being intentionally dishonest to make a point. His contrarianism is pretty sincere!

Althouse, on the other hand, starts beaning the batter on the very first pitch and doesn't let up until she's called back to the dugout. There's really no comparison.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Thank God for Virtual Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM3CH View Post
Bob Wright and the classic progressive misconception:

http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/138...9:42&out=69:56

One PC consumes conservatively at least 200 watts. The average solar flux on the surface of the earth is 200 watts per square meter. There are currently about 2000 members in the Bloggingheads forum community, each member of which has at least one computer. Bob clearly assumes that there is, somewhere, 2000 square meters of solar energy being collected exclusively to keep his BH empire in the green.
Cool, but why is it classically progressive not to know that computers use energy?

aside: Your roof's got 180 m2 on it if you're typical, so 2000 m2 isn't as much as it sounds. Solar energy advertisement.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:31 AM

I'm sure we're all familiar with Bob's usual lack of preparation, in terms of ever taking the time to read books by his guests; and it appears to be a sensitive subject for him today. When Ann says she actually read the Purpose Driven life, in preparation for this discussion, Bob starts in on a loud detour bragging about having met the author.

I love coming here daily to see the newest non-pundit discussions, but when does Bob's lack of prep become just more uniformed drivel? I can get that overhearing conversations on the subway.

Last edited by Globalcop; 08-21-2008 at 04:33 PM..
Old 08-21-2008, 11:42 AM

So, if I understand AA correctly, McCain might have cheated, but we're not allowed to say that? And we can't keep McCain from cheating because he was a POW?

Maybe she's just trying to stir us up...
Old 08-21-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernphoenix View Post
So, if I understand AA correctly, McCain might have cheated, but we're not allowed to say that? And we can't keep McCain from cheating because he was a POW?

Maybe she's just trying to stir us up...
I think a closer version of what she was trying to float is that regardless of whether McCain cheated, to suggest he may have cheated would be a greater harm.

Because he was a POW.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:53 AM

I am admittedly being provocative. But Bob’s off-hand comment sort of speaks for itself. It is so easy to forget just how much energy we require to keep on keeping on. I tend to believe that there is a gap between what progressives think we need, vs. what we really need.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:01 PM

Also, if AA doesn't understand "what was religious" about Rev. Wright's sermons, she is completely ignorant of the Christian prophetic tradition, especially as it has shaped the African-American church. You may disagree with Wright's perspectives, but anyone familiar with the idea of prophetic leadership knows that Wright was making an explicitly theological point. There's nothing more irritating than watching someone who knows next to nothing about Christianity opine on whether something or someone is Christian.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernphoenix View Post
Also, if AA doesn't understand "what was religious" about Rev. Wright's sermons, she is completely ignorant of the Christian prophetic tradition, especially as it has shaped the African-American church. You may disagree with Wright's perspectives, but anyone familiar with the idea of prophetic leadership knows that Wright was making an explicitly theological point. There's nothing more irritating than watching someone who knows next to nothing about Christianity opine on whether something or someone is Christian.
I was thinking the same thing: a follower of Jesus Christ criticizing government? We all know that Jesus says support your leaders and kiss the ring.

Of course, as an atheist, I tend to come down on the side of patriotism and supporting the troops -- but that's because I don't think anything supernatural is coming to bail me out of trouble. Why pray when I can join AAA?
Old 08-21-2008, 12:16 PM

Default Althouse's Disappointing Failure

For someone who prides herself on her pop culture acumen, Prof. Althouse's failure here to make the obvious "rags to Ritchies" pun must be disappointing.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorMoney View Post
I get that 'Mickey drives the liberal commenters crazy' is a funny line, but I think Bob does him a disservice. I can't think of any time off the top of my head, over the course of hours and hours of talk, that I've thought he was being intentionally dishonest to make a point. His contrarianism is pretty sincere!
This one is easy: the time when, in response to Bob describing the applause at the CPAC conference in response to Ann Coulter calling John Edwards the f-word, and Mickey suggested that half of the people at the conference were probably gay. I can't believe that he actually believed that.

Here, for your viewing pleasure, I present the documentary evidence:
http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/188...0&out=00:45:15
http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/188...0&out=00:33:18

Last edited by mmacklem; 08-21-2008 at 12:51 PM..
Old 08-21-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM3CH View Post
I am admittedly being provocative. But Bob’s off-hand comment sort of speaks for itself. It is so easy to forget just how much energy we require to keep on keeping on. I tend to believe that there is a gap between what progressives think we need, vs. what we really need.
Sure, you have highlighted it: the rather casual knowledge of the layman regarding energy technology. But then imagine a "conservative" blogginghead saying that domestic oil drilling is going to significantly lower the price of oil. Also not a piece with reality when considering the energy needs of a world brought to the level of modernity. But pointing that out and saying "I tend to believe that there is a gap between what conservatives think we need, vs. what we really need," etc. ... I just think it's a distraction meant to score points completely unrelated to energy. Believe it or not, there are "liberals" who understand energy on a serious level, work in the field, all that.

You seem to have your shit together on the energy debate, JIM3CH, and know what you're talking about. So, I'm just calling you out for a lazy comment, which you probably just intended to be funny. But, Bob's comment wasn't really a seriously considered position either.

Ok? Just shooing you away from a straw man.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:47 PM

Default I never thought I'd say it.

As impressive and thoughtful as Mr. Wright's observations have been in the past, it is clear that his support for Obama has now altered his objectivity. To continue to spread the meme that McCain cheated at Sadddleback is not only unfair and baseless, it lacks his usual well thought collection and discussion of the facts. His argument essentially is this, it's possible that McCain cheated so we can't dismiss the allegation, OR we can't prove that he didn't cheat so the allegation is legitimate if not ultimately true. If Mr. Wright were truly fair, he might consider how many times he's defended Senator Obama from similarly constructed allegations where the inability to prove a charge incorrect legitimizes the allegation.

Pastor Rick Warren went on Larry King and said that he discussed the type of questions with both candidates prior to the forum. And, if you watch McCain on the stump in his town halls you'd recognize that all of his answers in the forum were stories he has told a thousand times by now. It's not so much he prepared his answers as he's been telling them at town halls for almost two years now. If you were really interested in getting to the truth of the matter about whether McCain "cheated" don't you think these facts should have been presented and discussed?

And of course it would be pretty simple to find out McCain told the cross in the dirt story to his P.O.W. friends when it happened while they were still in captivity. Feel free to Google it, just ignore the 50 pages of Obama supporter blogs claiming it's made up in the search results.

Honestly, I'm not sure I can continue to watch Mr. Wright's diavlogs without Mickey. Mickey would never let him get away with these thin, unreasoned comments without challenging him on them. When is his vacation going to end?
Old 08-21-2008, 12:58 PM

Default Re: I never thought I'd say it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookofdisquiet View Post
As impressive and thoughtful as Mr. Wright's observations have been in the past, it is clear that his support for Obama has now altered his objectivity. To continue to spread the meme that McCain cheated at Sadddleback is not only unfair and baseless, it lacks his usual well thought collection and discussion of the facts. His argument essentially is this, it's possible that McCain cheated so we can't dismiss the allegation, OR we can't prove that he didn't cheat so the allegation is legitimate if not ultimately true. If Mr. Wright were truly fair, he might consider how many times he's defended Senator Obama from similarly constructed allegations where the inability to prove a charge incorrect legitimizes the allegation.

Pastor Rick Warren went on Larry King and said that he discussed the type of questions with both candidates prior to the forum. And, if you watch McCain on the stump in his town halls you'd recognize that all of his answers in the forum were stories he has told a thousand times by now. It's not so much he prepared his answers as he's been telling them at town halls for almost two years now. If you were really interested in getting to the truth of the matter about whether McCain "cheated" don't you think these facts should have been presented and discussed?

And of course it would be pretty simple to find out McCain told the cross in the dirt story to his P.O.W. friends when it happened while they were still in captivity. Feel free to Google it, just ignore the 50 pages of Obama supporter blogs claiming it's made up in the search results.

Honestly, I'm not sure I can continue to watch Mr. Wright's diavlogs without Mickey. Mickey would never let him get away with these thin, unreasoned comments without challenging him on them. When is his vacation going to end?
I apparently didn't view the same diavlog as you. When exactly did you hear someone assert that McCain lied? What I heard was a refutation of the assertion that McCain didn't lie. There's a difference and, of course, the latter has the advantage of bing true.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:11 PM

Default Wright's 2000 Pick?

It sounds like Wright's looking for some straight talk--did he get on the bus in 2000?
Old 08-21-2008, 01:17 PM

Default Axis of Bad

Bush has received much abuse for his lack of eloquence. And with good reason. So would you like him to say "The Axis of Bad"? I laugh when I imagine that.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:25 PM

Default Re: I never thought I'd say it.

Wow Aem Jeff, you are sooooooo clever. What a brilliant reply. You must have Ph.D. or something-- btw, it's "being" not bing.

My point is simple. Mr. Wright is spreading the meme that McCain might have cheated because it was "possible". A fair consideration of whether Mr. McCain cheated would include a thoughtful assessment of his answers and the other facts I've presented in my original post. Mr. Wright didn't even watch the forum.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Obama on Abortion

In this segment, Bob and Ann talk about Obama on the A-word, and Ann says something about his voting record.

I haven't got a horse in any race about abortion, but something I would like to draw attention to are the videos on the Bloggingheads homepage, which I think are great. The top one right now is Obama talking about (I think) the votes Ann brings up, giving his side.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:02 PM

Ann said something about disbelieving or believing whatever a pol says about his faith. This was in a discussion of Obama and McCain discussing their faith - Rick Warren question. She would rather there wasn't any public discussion of candidate's faith. (I think that's what she said.)

Bush 43 came to mind. I believe he's very serious about his Christian faith. Had that conversion after he abandoned alcohol 20+ years ago. Laura said he reads his Bible every night - said that on a TV show she was on. She said she wasn't that devoted & wasn't as disciplined as her husband.

I think one's religious faith, or lack thereof, can have an effect on their public actions. Bush's AIDS program in Africa may be a fallout of his Christian faith. His faith-based initiatives in helping the poor is another example.

As far as atheistis go, weren't some of the world's baddies militant, evangelistic atheists? Guys like Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Castro, the Kim father and son duo, etc. These guys were responsible for the loss of more human life than the rest of the human race put together since the dawn of recorded history. That was in just a 70-year period: 1917 to 1990.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:24 PM

Bob Wright's ability to put up with shifting, tendentious and specious arguments for an hour is amazing. Nice work!
Old 08-21-2008, 02:33 PM

Default Confusion

I'm not sure what you're saying here. You're talking about assertions that McCain lied--which I think is referring to the discussion over whether Sen. McCain cheated in the debate. Ok so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff
I heard [...] a refutation of the assertion that McCain didn't lie.
I don't know exactly where you heard this, maybe a Dingalink would help; but I guess Prof. Althouse asserted that Sen. McCain did not lie. According to you Wright refuted this assertion. As I understand the term, to refute something is to show it to be false. So, Wright shows that the assertion that McCain did not lie to be false. Assuming McCain did something, and that something was either "lie" or "not lie," then refuting the assertion that his action fell into the "not lie" category would show that he had done something that fell into the "lie" category, wouldn't it? Or is there some other category?

As I heard it, Wright doesn't assert that McCain cheated--I think you agree. I heard Wright insist that there's no way of proving McCain didn't cheat, which as you want to say (I think) is probably true--defnitive proof one way or the other isn't likely, I'm not sure what it would even look like. I think, though, that bookofdisquiet's problem is that Wright doesn't give any reason to think that Sen. McCain cheated other than the fact that no one can PROVE that he didn't. That's true but somewhat trivial--I can't PROVE that a tiny alien being didn't create a believable McCain-suit to drive around and have fun running for President in--but the fact that I can't prove it doesn't give anyone any reason to think it might be true. Since this is so, if I brought the possibility of an alien McCain up, especially as a mark against him, you'd probably (rightly) demand a higher standard of evidence.

The fact that Wright adopts such a terribly low standard here is worth pointing out. I think that's what bookofdisquiet did in lamenting what he sees as Wright's slipping standards (in the service of promoting Sen. Obama), and I don't see how your response to book addresses this, again given that I'm not sure exactly what your response meant!
Old 08-21-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorMoney View Post
Althouse, on the other hand, starts beaning the batter on the very first pitch and doesn't let up until she's called back to the dugout. There's really no comparison.
5 minutes? You're giving her a serious benefit of the doubt. Most of her comments lacked intellectual honesty. Obama has written 2 best selling books without a guest writer or much editing, if you believe his editor. He has his JD from Harvard and yet she believes he writes like a child when not giving a speech? How can he be both egg headed and yet still not intellectually sufficient?
Old 08-21-2008, 02:52 PM

Since John McCain's camp is using the "but he was a POW" to divert every criticism from the fact that he wasn't in a "cone of silence" (and Steve Schmidt would be committing malpractice as a protege of Karl Rove if he didn't use every possible advantage available) to his having 7-something houses, I'd have to say that the "whiner" and "cry baby" sobriquet goes to John McCain (especially in the light of the McCain-generated meme that he's "not comfortable talking about his POW experience."

Althouse is as hacked out as usual...and what's up with the assertion that Obama and McCain are atheists ?

"I know I'm saying what various people like Rush Limbaugh say..."
We've noticed. This broad is toxic. Deserves all of the contempt that's rained on her.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:54 PM

I'm not a fan of Mickey Kaus, but Mickey Kaus doesn't come close to being as much of a raving jackass as Althouse.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:59 PM

Just listened to Althouse on "evil" and her notion that Obama's Niebuhrian reflection on evil was "blame America first" is certainly worthy of her self-comparison to Rush Limbaugh.

This nod to Rush was a remarkable moment of self-awareness on Althouse' part. Except Limbaugh's far more talented and entertaining.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:09 PM

God - there's so much stuff in here where Althouse glibly assumes Obama is fundamentally dishonest - like his entire theology - but regarding even Bob asking a reasonable question about McCain we get this "but he was a POW" crap that just happens to be the excuse-du-jour of his campaign handlers.

I can't listen to this crap anymore. This is sickening.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Confusion

Thank you Chauvanist Troll for hashing out AemJeff's comment. I think he was trying to be clever but just ended up being confusing.

What Mr. Wright did was not trivial. He is perpetuating a meme that it's possible Mr. McCain cheated without examining the facts. Mr. Wright often points to the damaging and untrue memes about Obama i.e. ... he's a muslim, he's not patriotic, etc., by defending Obama with the facts. Mr. Wright would say that calling Obama a muslim or unpatriotic is a slander because it's not true as he applies the facts to those accusations (...and I would concur with him). There is no way for Obama to prove to us what is in his heart about being patriotic or a Christian. Ultimately, we must take him at his word. Would you ever hear Mr. Wright say it's possible that Senator Obama is unpatriotic or a muslim?-- I don't think so-- Mr. Wright would list off a thousand facts disputing the accusation. But instead of considering the facts about whether Mr. McCain "cheated", he just perpetuated the meme that it's possible. He helped perpetuate a slander without even judging the facts-- he didn't even watch the Saddleback forum.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmacklem View Post
This one is easy: the time when, in response to Bob describing the applause at the CPAC conference in response to Ann Coulter calling John Edwards the f-word, and Mickey suggested that half of the people at the conference were probably gay. I can't believe that he actually believed that.

Here, for your viewing pleasure, I present the documentary evidence:
http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/188...0&out=00:45:15
http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/188...0&out=00:33:18
Calling half the CPAC audience gay isn't exactly the kind of 'stick to your zombie talking points' rhetoric I was bitching about. You get the feeling Mickey didn't get that line fed to him from the conservative hive mind -- but I wish he had! It would be a much better hive mind. If conservatives embrace gay rights positions out of spite so that they can continue to call Edwards a fairy, I guess I could get behind it
Old 08-21-2008, 03:46 PM

How conveniently you do only mention just the last 70-year period. That leaves out all the murder/mayhem committed in the name of religion for the last couple of centuries, and still doesn't cover all the bloodshed it still perpetrates today.
The Hitchens tactic of tallying up all the murders committed by the religionists, the athiests, the not-so-religious who pretend to be religious, and claiming moral authority for the group that killed the least number of people is just facetious. The question is not whether religious beliefs have justified some good actions, the question is how you can hold anyone accountable for their actions, good or bad, if their justification rests on a parochial and fundamentally unprovable proposition. I would be worried even if I happen to support the enactment of a Bush policy if I knew his particular reasons are religious, for on the same premise he can just as well as, oh let's say invade a country with little evidence of threat. And such grounds are simply not subject to rational debate in a pluralist society.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:54 PM

Default Althouse's Mystery YouTube Belcher...

Is Garance Franke-Ruta:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fox6k-xE-Y

The link also answers the question of how it is Althouse came across this particular bit of video.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:56 PM

Is Bob now part of Obama's campaign staff? I've never seen Bob throw out so many unsupported accusations. Let's see:

1-Thomas is stupid and doesn't write his own opinions - Proof? None.
2-McCain Cheated - Proof? - None.
3-McCain lies about the "Cross in the Dirt" Story - Proof? None.

But otherwise great diavlog. As for McCain being an atheist- he's too shallow to be either an Atheist or a "true believer".
Old 08-21-2008, 04:04 PM

Thanks brucds for your level headed politely worded response and for the expletives-- your civility and decency should be an example to all the commenters in this forum. As to your conspiracy that McCain cheated and might not have even known it--- I'm sure 9/11 was an inside job and one world government is close at hand.

Of course, however much I disagree with your conclusion about McCain cheating, at least you perpetuate that meme with your interpretation of the facts which is more than I can say for Mr. Wright saying that it's "possible".

Thank you for making my point and don't worry-- when the one world government implants the universal chip in you it won't hurt and you'll be invited to the Bohemian Grove.

Last edited by bookofdisquiet; 08-21-2008 at 04:06 PM..
Old 08-21-2008, 04:07 PM

Great response...proving my point that you're totally unhinged and leap into ad hominem bullshit rather than deal with what's actually being said.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:12 PM

Default Ahhh. That hits the spot.

To my satisfaction, Bob finally found a conversation partner as irritating as Mickey.

Bob's mode of argument tends to be:
Wouldn't you agree that A?
And you have a previously stated the principle B.
So therefore you agree with me.

See the discussion of Clarence Thomas. Bob's implicit argument is: Wouldn't you agree that Clarence Thomas is not sufficiently brilliant to be a jurist? And you believe that SCOTUS judges should be the best legal minds. So therefore you agree that Barack Obama was right to say he wouldn't have voted for Thomas.

The Jonah Goldbergs of the world would go after premise B and say it's not enough to have a brilliant legal mind, you also have to have the right opinions (or judicial philosophy). Ann and Mickey, however, see where the argument is going, and attack premise A. Since premise A tends to be something widely believed but which is difficult to prove, this leaves Bob sputtering.

It is that Coffee/Tequilla/Tabsco taste that has been missing from the previous Kaus replacements. Bravo Ann!

Last edited by p.e.; 08-21-2008 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: grammer
Old 08-21-2008, 04:15 PM

Correction of "bookofdisquiet"'s unhinged attack - That it is "possible" McCain could have been prepped by his handlers for the Saddleback forum because there was no "cone of silence" as asserted to TV viewers watching isn't a "meme" or a "slander", it's a fact.

It's also a quite reasonable judgement that a guy like Steve Schmidt would consider it malpractice if he didn't play any and every advantage at hand. (Schmidt, incidentally, wasn't a POW, but he is a vet. Don't know how that factors into the metaphysic of integrity that's routinely applied to the guy who got in deep shit during the Keating scandals or cheated on his wife because "she wasn't the same woman I married", having been seriously injured in an automobile accident.)

You're utterly shameless. Frankly, if there's any "slander" going on here, it's you sliming Bob. And one didn't have to watch the forum to know the facts about McCain traveling with his handlers a full 30 minutes into Obama's interview. Also, clearly the prepping of McCain could - and I believe would - have been done without making it clear to McCain precisely what was going on. Plausible deniability and all that. Steve Schmidt is no fool. (He's the guy responsible for the campaign that got one of Hollywood's biggest celebrities elected governor of California.)