Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 02-25-2010, 11:35 PM
BhTV staff

Default The Week in Blog: Women's Hockey Edition (Bill Scher & Matt Lewis)

Old 02-26-2010, 01:05 AM

Default Re: The Week in Blog: Women's Hockey Edition (Bill Scher & Matt Lewis)

I watched the entire summit beginning to end on C-Span. I think these guys are wrong in their perspectives. I'm glad there weren't a lot of dramatic "zingers" and cable-crap style "drama." Obama did a BEAUTIFUL JOB! I think he showed, as he often has, that he truly wants to get beyond the political bullcrap and solve problems. I believe it's true that he cares more about doing the job as well as he can than he does about winning a second term.
I can't remember exactly what Lamar Alexander said, but I didn't think he was so great. Especially since Obama pointed out how Alexander was misrepresenting something as a cost increase when it was a savings on the initial item. ( The cost increase was an option to pay more to get more - but only an option. )
I see an irony in Matt's notion of the "optics" of Obama taking notes as seeming like he wasn't paying attention to Alexander. Maybe there are people out there who would watch this summit and think that note-taking means someone is not paying attention, but I think this is too specious to make a thing of.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos View Post
I watched the entire summit beginning to end on C-Span. I think these guys are wrong in their perspectives. I'm glad there weren't a lot of dramatic "zingers" and cable-crap style "drama." Obama did a BEAUTIFUL JOB! I think he showed, as he often has, that he truly wants to get beyond the political bullcrap and solve problems. I believe it's true that he cares more about doing the job as well as he can than he does about winning a second term.
I agree that Obama does very well in debates/discussions like the HC summit. The problem is that the policy, the plan is so wrong. The country is out of money. Working people are the ones who are going to pay for all of this. And working people are the ones who are already severly strained by the failing economy that the goverment has mucked up so badly. HI premiums of younger workers will be much higher than the market rate as the HI companies "spread" the risk around. And all the other covered workers will see their care diluted as the system is flooded with additional patients.

We can't discount that Obama is pressing on with his unworkable plan in order to retain his political viability. So much for doing what is right for the country. The country will go on without comprehensive HC reform. Not so for Obama.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:11 AM

Bill is right. The president is supposed to be addressed as "Mr. President." I don't think the president should be required to address every other politician by their title.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:13 AM

Matt is SO wrong to compare Obama's confidence to George W. Bush's arrogance.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Matt is SO wrong to compare Obama's confidence to George W. Bush's arrogance.
True.

I refuse to waste my time listening to pundits who cheered Bush's absurdly cocky proclamations in the first years of the Iraq war, and never once questioned his method of victory in the 2000 election while he acted like he had a sweeping popular mandate, but who tell me that Obama is the arrogant one because he might dare to suggest that our health care system is not a Platonic ideal that should be worshipped in perpetuity.

Rant finished.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winspur View Post
True.

I refuse to waste my time listening to pundits who cheered Bush's absurdly cocky proclamations in the first years of the Iraq war, and never once questioned his method of victory in the 2000 election while he acted like he had a sweeping popular mandate, but who tell me that Obama is the arrogant one because he might dare to suggest that our health care system is not a Platonic ideal that should be worshipped in perpetuity.

Rant finished.
Nice rant. Yeah, that comparison between Bush and Obama jumped out at me as being off-base to me too.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos View Post
Bill is right. The president is supposed to be addressed as "Mr. President." I don't think the president should be required to address every other politician by their title.
I didn't see any of the summit, but not addressing the other participants by their titles was a power play, and disrespectful.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by look View Post
I didn't see any of the summit, but ...
... she will pass judgment anyway.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
... she will pass judgment anyway.
With the caveat that the single concept I judged happened as described. So there, and good night, sir!
Old 02-26-2010, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by look View Post
With the caveat that the single concept I judged happened as described.
Caveat, shmaveat. I call them weasel words.

Quote:
So there, and good night, sir!
We'll see.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:55 AM

I am always impressed by the conversations between Lewis and Scher. I admire how both candidly acknowledge that their bias colors their interpretation of events. Though I usually find myself at odds with Matt Lewis' point of view, I must say that I admire his intelligence, open-mindedness and willingness to entertain the possibility that at times he may be mistaken.

It is very refreshing to see how, despite their differences, Lewis and Scher consistently maintain mutual respect and good will. I don't know that I would be capable of such restraint and consideration. It stands in stark contrast to the self-righteous posturing of most other partisan commentors, and I very much appreciate their contributions to our collective conversation.

Last edited by listener; 02-26-2010 at 03:18 AM.. Reason: eliminating redundancy
Old 02-26-2010, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by listener View Post
I am always impressed by the conversations between Lewis and Scher. I admire how both candidly acknowledge that their bias colors their interpretation of events. Though I usually find myself at odds with Matt Lewis' point of view, I must say that I admire his intelligence, open-mindedness and willingness to entertain the possibility that at times he may be mistaken.

It is very refreshing to see how, despite their differences, Lewis and Scher consistently maintain mutual respect and good will. I don't know that I would be capable of such restraint and consideration. It stands in stark contrast to the self-righteous posturing of most other partisan commentors, and I very much appreciate their contributions to our collective conversation.
I'll actually agree here. TWiB takes a lot of flak on this board, and Lewis in particular for being not quite intellectual in his approach to conservatism. That's probably true, but he is still intelligent, shrewd, accurate in his political analysis and strategic breakdowns of events, sometimes more so than Scher. Scher on the other hand is smarter on policy and seems to come into his own when he's pared with someone who wants to talk policy rather than political optics--ie Conn Carroll. But in both parings, I find I learn a lot.

That said, I'm someone who doesn't normally follow political news. I don't read Politco, TPM, or any of the political blogs whose writers appear here. I don't subscribe to the Washington Post. Keeping up with the business papers and the foreign policy news is more than enough reading for me. So for me this actually is a useful digest of breaking events. If I didn't have TWiB, I might not even know CPAC was happening or at least, have no idea what was going on there. I imagine that if one were already up to speed on the basics, this would feel more banal.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppyMcPrepperson View Post
I'll actually agree here.
Thanks, Preppy, for your vote of confidence. I can't pretend to have anywhere near your level of political expertise, but I do very much appreciate when people who hold strongly opposing viewpoints are nonetheless able to come together in an open spirit of inquiry and mutual respect. And having followed your posts and diavlogs on BHTV, I count you among the few who live up to that standard.

Last edited by listener; 02-26-2010 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 02-26-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:

But that's because Lewis is a siv - he has no discernable ideology. It's hard to disagree with someone that reduces everything to ..."Go Red Team!"

That said, I like Matt 'cuz he's nice and all that ... and the pop culture references are cute.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibong View Post
But that's because Lewis is a siv - he has no discernable ideology. It's hard to disagree with someone that reduces everything to ..."Go Red Team!"

That said, I like Matt 'cuz he's nice and all that ... and the pop culture references are cute.
I'm unfamiliar with the term "siv." Could you enlighten me?
Old 02-26-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I'm unfamiliar with the term "siv." Could you enlighten me?
mispelled, typing too quickly. i meant "sieve."
Old 02-26-2010, 09:37 AM

I like the pairing of Bill and Matt. Of the 2 I think Bill is the sharpest but Matt compensates for this with his even demeanor. Also, they both keep it light and bring some humor to their discussions.

John
Old 02-26-2010, 10:07 AM

I'm not used to all this comment love, thanks everyone!