Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 08-28-2009, 04:02 PM
BhTV staff

Default The Week in Blog: The Return of the Conn (Bill Scher & Conn Carroll)

Old 08-28-2009, 04:12 PM

Default Re: The Week in Blog: The Return of the Conn (Bill Scher & Conn Carroll)

Welcome back, Conn. Looking forward to this one.

[Added] Your fearmongering on health care is eye-rolling. I'm sure these "smoking gun" videos play well in the echo chamber, but the more you go on about them, compared to everything Bill is quite reasonably saying in response, the more tinfoil hatty you sound. Plus, the whole thing went on way too long.

[Added2] The rest was pretty good. I especially enjoyed the part about Erick Erickson. My delight about RedFace aside, this was truly a good report on doings in the blogosphere, something I think TWiB can always be reminded to attend to.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 08-28-2009 at 05:52 PM..
Old 08-28-2009, 08:02 PM

Default Re: The Week in Blog: The Return of the Conn (Bill Scher & Conn Carroll)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
Welcome back, Conn. Looking forward to this one.

[Added2] The rest was pretty good. I especially enjoyed the part about Erick Erickson. My delight about RedFace aside, this was truly a good report on doings in the blogosphere, something I think TWiB can always be reminded to attend to.
Dingalink please!
Old 08-28-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymisher View Post
Dingalink please!
It was a whole section.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:18 PM

Here's one's of Conn Carroll's colleagues talking with Glenn Beck about the personal civilian army Obama is now setting up on the model of the Nazi SS.

I haven't watched the diavlog yet, but I'm guessing the Heritage Foundation, in the person of Conn Carroll, puts forth a much more reasonable face to the BHTV audience than the one it puts forth to Glenn Beck's audience. I won't be surprised if Conn sounds downright reasonable, in fact, while (obviously) working from the same play book (if not advancing approximately the same talking points) as his colleagues appearing on Glenn Beck.

(CF, same topic, different video.)

Last edited by TwinSwords; 08-28-2009 at 11:21 PM..
Old 08-29-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSwords View Post
Here's one's of Conn Carroll's colleagues talking with Glenn Beck about the personal civilian army Obama is now setting up on the model of the Nazi SS.

I haven't watched the diavlog yet, but I'm guessing the Heritage Foundation, in the person of Conn Carroll, puts forth a much more reasonable face to the BHTV audience than the one it puts forth to Glenn Beck's audience.
I thought the heritage fellow did a good job trying to bring the focus back from Glenn's view of a civilian military corps like Saddam's fedayen to one of a corp of civil workers who pledge allegiance to their jobs and the politician that provides those jobs. Glenn Beck is brilliant at what he does and I am sure he is not blind to the distinction.

Notice that Beck and Rush and Sarah Palin all mutually support each other? The audience of Americans who listen to them is very large.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:00 PM

WOO HOO!!!! WE MISSED YOU CONN!
Old 08-28-2009, 05:07 PM

TRIUMPHANT RETURN!
Old 08-28-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stapler Malone View Post
Great dingalink!
Old 08-28-2009, 05:45 PM

Welcome back Conn.

Gotta love Bill saying in the same article:

"We should not let our political process be dictated by the emotion of moment."

And

"So yes, we should "do it for Ted""

Would have been much more appropriate if the citizens of MA had thrown him in jail and said "Let's do it for Mary Jo".

And does Bill feel no shame at all that in a tribute to the Ted Kennedy legacy he says "Moderate senators should act on principle and not let selfish interest "politicize" their vote..." about a guy who was all for alternative energy unless it ruined his view at the cape?

And EK's via-John Tunney-to-Yuri Andropov secret message is another great blast from the past for this duplicitous, awful man. Using the former head of the KGB to further the goals of the Democratic Party and weakening the United States? What sort of principle is that?

RIP Ted
Old 08-28-2009, 07:30 PM

Default Call it the Mary Jo Kopechne Health care bill

I think Fat Ted would have wanted it that way. I think Con and Bill are too old and too Inside-the-beltway to understand that the vast majority of people under 40 and outside the East Coast don't give a flying F*** about Fat Ted.

Most young people think he's a bad joke - a fat, drunk clown who left a women to drown and sexually assaulted waitresses. Those in the "Red States" think of him as the ultimate limousine liberal - an absurd fat drunk fought for "equality" while he lived the millionaires life on Martha's Vinyard. And don't think that workingman have forgotten his fanatical support for NAFTA, open borders, and deregulation.

Fortunately for the "swimmer's" reputation the MSM and liberal elite regard him as a hero.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Call it the Mary Jo Kopechne Health care bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcocean View Post
Those in the "Red States" think of him as the ultimate limousine liberal - an absurd fat drunk fought for "equality" while he lived the millionaires life on Martha's Vinyard. A
Right - much better to live a rich man's life, and not give a f*ck about the working man. (c.f. George Bush Sr. and Jr.) At least there's no "hypocricy" there.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:06 PM

Shorter rcocean:

Quote:
I only know one word to use as an insult, but please oh please, won't somebody pay attention to me?
P.S.

Quote:
Who you calling a troll?
Old 08-28-2009, 10:34 PM

[QUOTE=bjkeefe;127280]Shorter rcocean:

No I've used stupid, drunk, philanderer and all-round #@@! to describe Ted. The latest Joke about Drunk Ted:

"Ted is dead, its all just water under the bridge now." and "Ted Kennedy has been sober for 24 hours now".
Old 08-29-2009, 11:31 PM

Default Compare and contrast

rcocean, pretty much channeling Greater Wingnuttia:

Quote:
... I've used stupid, drunk, philanderer and all-round #@@! to describe Ted. The latest Joke about Drunk Ted: [etc.]
Robert Grudin, as quoted by James Wolcott:

Quote:
The Ancients weighed the achievement of an individual by the sum and substance of his actions. Most of Plutarch's biographies--for example, of Themistocles, Alcibiades, Pompey, and Antony--are heroic assortments of virtues and vices, clear renderings of the psychological diversity and paradox which seem almost indispensable components of historic greatness. We moderns, on the other hand, influenced by our religion, qualify all our estimation with a surgical standard of moral purity. For the ancients, virtue was action, accomplishment, contribution; for us it is an essence so pure and fragile in nature that a beaker of goodness can be ruined by a dram of sin. Dante makes his beloved teacher, Brunetto Latini, a sufferer in hell, because all his memorable virtues were combined with a single serious vice. Francis Bacon is almost never mentioned as a historical figure without reference to the single act of malfeasance which, deftly exploited by an enemy, ended his political career. The grievous and numerous faults of Winston Churchill are expounded upon interminably by the beneficiaries of the free institutions he fought to save. And this stubborn altruism, often so extreme as to constitute a conspiracy against nature, extends beyond our histories into our daily lives. Shunning peccadillos, we suffer infamies. Anxious to avoid even appearing to do harm, we lose touch with the necessarily hazardous practice of goodness. We use rectitude to mask our envy of achievement.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 08-29-2009 at 11:56 PM.. Reason: add link
Old 08-30-2009, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Compare and contrast

You should have used this quote from Wolcott - its more typical of his hate-filled - logic free - rants:

Quote:
Checking in on the rightwing jovialists preemptively emptying their bladders on Ted Kennedy's grave--Jerk Store regulars such as Dan Riehl, Dan Collins (actual tweet: "Need some good Chappaquiddick jokes for today's program"), Andrew Breitbart, Confederate Yokel, and Robert "They Call Me Lacy" McCain (no direct links, not to these undeserving nodules, but those wishing to investigate further can follow the links at Roy Edroso's toxicology report--I'm struck by the immature, s******ing bravado of it all, as if they actually thought they were being naughty and standing athwart Political Correctness crying, "Eat me." These guys seem to think that if they keep waving around Mary Jo Kopechne's name like a rubber chicken it's a sign of the Swiftian saeva indignatio that justifies their stale brand of insult comedy, which is little more than the usual liberal baiting with an extra topping of ghoulish glee. (And not just guys. Note to Darleen Click, who's assumed the thankless task of filling in for the permanently vacationing Jeff Goldstein: You might want to consider developing a lighter touch, just to add a little variety to your dreary day.)

Anyway, if this is how these footlings conduct themselves after Ted Kennedy's death, ear plugs may have to be issued to muffle the orgy of braying derision that'll echo through the fever swamp after news of Jimmy Carter's demise hits the jungle drums. Him they hate even more than they do the last Kennedy brother, and making a holiday of their hate is what makes them happy
Wolcott as usual gets it wrong - (not surprising since he's a superficial goofy literary type).

Many conservatives despise Jimmy Carter - but few dislike him, let alone hate him. (I'm excluding the absurd Neo-Cons, like Frum or Bennett). Carter is a decent, patriotic man, who is simply wrong on many issues. A man of modest means dedicated to public service, who actually reads and thinks about public issues instead of getting drunk, assaulting women and reading whatever his staff writes for him. He is in fact the anti-Kennedy.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
You should have used this quote from Wolcott - its more typical of his hate-filled - logic free - rants:

Wolcott as usual gets it wrong - (not surprising since he's a superficial goofy literary type).

Many conservatives despise Jimmy Carter - but few dislike him, let alone hate him. (I'm excluding the absurd Neo-Cons, like Frum or Bennett). Carter is a decent, patriotic man, who is simply wrong on many issues. A man of modest means dedicated to public service, who actually reads and thinks about public issues instead of getting drunk, assaulting women and reading whatever his staff writes for him. He is in fact the anti-Kennedy.
Wolcott is seriously funny; articulately nasty in a way that few contemporary writers seem to be able to sustain. And he has a way of getting under the skin of his adversaries that almost always finds them making themselves look bad when they choose to engage. (Wolcott torturing Pammycakes was a particular delight.) And I haven't often noticed him being wrong. Your assessment of Carter, seems a bit incoherent, I have to say.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
Wolcott is seriously funny; articulately nasty in a way that few contemporary writers seem to be able to sustain. And he has a way of getting under the skin of his adversaries that almost always finds them making themselves look bad when they choose to engage. (Wolcott torturing Pammycakes was a particular delight.) And I haven't often noticed him being wrong. Your assessment of Carter, seems a bit incoherent, I have to say.
No idea who "Pammycakes" is. As for Wolcott being "seriously funny" - quite an exaggeration - based on what I've read. But I'm sure he has Charlie Rose in stitches. Does Larry King like him?
Old 08-30-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
No idea who "Pammycakes" is. As for Wolcott being "seriously funny" - quite an exaggeration - based on what I've read. But I'm sure he has Charlie Rose in stitches. Does Larry King like him?
"Pammycakes" is a nom du ridicule for Pamela Gellar, aka "Atlas Shrugs," whom Wolcott dragged over coals for while until she completely lost her sense of humor. (Not a particularly long journey.)
Old 09-01-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
"Pammycakes" is a nom du ridicule for Pamela Gellar, aka "Atlas Shrugs," whom Wolcott dragged over coals for while until she completely lost her sense of humor. (Not a particularly long journey.)
Surprised you dislike Gellar, since she's just a liberal who hates Muslims.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
(Wolcott torturing Pammycakes was a particular delight.)
When did this happen? (Sounds hilarious.) I love Wolcott but have not followed him regularly for a long time. Did he get Pam to respond to him?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSwords View Post
When did this happen? (Sounds hilarious.) I love Wolcott but have not followed him regularly for a long time. Did he get Pam to respond to him?
This goes back to '07 and his previous URL, so I'm not sure his posts are available any more (though they might be, I'll look later.)

Yeah, she responded. She had attended some rightblogger fete, and sidled up to various luminaries (e.g. Instaglen) and was photographed with a jubilant thumbs-up in each case. Wolcott noted that come of the hand gestures were a little, err... ambiguous and highlighted a few of the photos with suitable commentary. Pammy reacted with predictable outrage, and it was a pretty good feud for a little while. But, her wit is apparently not an inexhaustible resource, and as her side of the argument deteriorated Wolcott stopped linking back or even responding.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
This goes back to '07 and his previous URL, so I'm not sure his posts are available any more (though they might be, I'll look later.)

Yeah, she responded. She had attended some rightblogger fete, and sidled up to various luminaries (e.g. Instaglen) and was photographed with a jubilant thumbs-up in each case. Wolcott noted that come of the hand gestures were a little, err... ambiguous and highlighted a few of the photos with suitable commentary. Pammy reacted with predictable outrage, and it was a pretty good feud for a little while. But, her wit is apparently not an inexhaustible resource, and as her side of the argument deteriorated Wolcott stopped linking back or even responding.
Thanks for the summary. I can think of few things as intrinsically interestesting as Wolcott bashing Pammycakes. I'm going to have to go look for that. :-D
Old 08-30-2009, 09:31 PM

Pammy, happily enough supplied a link, to her side at any rate. The embedded links to Wolcott's posts are broken.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Pammy, happily enough supplied a link, to her side at any rate. The embedded links to Wolcott's posts are broken.
Some are still on the Wayback Machine. (e.g.) "Home page" here.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Some are still on the Wayback Machine. (e.g.) "Home page" here.
Cool! Thanks for finding that.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
You should have used this quote from Wolcott ...
A nice passage. Thanks for quoting it. The boy can write, can't he? One of my favorite wordsmiths and a brilliant wit.

I understand why you're so quick to bad-mouth him. When he bothers to look in on the wingnutosphere, he never fails to skewer perfectly.

You might be right that there are some individuals who will lower themselves less when Carter dies compared to how they're acting now about Kennedy. But I'm sure there will be no shortage of equally poor taste jokes and a general panting effort to besmirch the man's name before his body is even planted. I predict hysteria over the Iran hostage situation and foaming at the mouth about how he hates Israel and Jews.

Speaking of said foaming, re: your response to Jeff: Pammycakes is Pam "Atlas Shrugs" Geller.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 08-30-2009 at 08:50 PM..
Old 08-30-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
A nice passage. Thanks for quoting it. The boy can write, can't he? One of my favorite wordsmiths and a brilliant wit.

I understand why you're so quick to bad-mouth him. When he bothers to look in on the wingnutosphere, he never fails to skewer perfectly.
Here's a classic Wolcott post, on the occasion of Pajamas Media bringing their wingnut welfare gravy train to a halt. Here's an earlier piece, when the news first broke.

Here's an outstanding piece on his plan to disrupt the teabaggers.

And covering other areas ...

Here he is winning a coveted LotD award from yours truly. And another. And another.

Here's a righteous scolding of Arnold Kling.

From fall of last year, here he is, taking Jay Nordlinger down.

Here's a feature-length reflection on the 2008 elections: "The Good, the Bad, and Joe Lieberman."

Enjoy.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Here's a classic Wolcott post, on the occasion of Pajamas Media bringing their wingnut welfare gravy train to a halt. Here's an earlier piece, when the news first broke.

Here's an outstanding piece on his plan to disrupt the teabaggers.

And covering other areas ...

Here he is winning a coveted LotD award from yours truly. And another. And another.

Here's a righteous scolding of Arnold Kling.

From fall of last year, here he is, taking Jay Nordlinger down.

Here's a feature-length reflection on the 2008 elections: "The Good, the Bad, and Joe Lieberman."

Enjoy.
Oh boy, a whole post full of Wolcotty goodness.

Nom nom nom...

Old 08-31-2009, 09:20 AM

rcoceansaid: Many conservatives despise Jimmy Carter - but few dislike him, let alone hate him. (I'm excluding the absurd Neo-Cons, like Frum or Bennett). Carter is a decent, patriotic man, who is simply wrong on many issues. A man of modest means dedicated to public service, who actually reads and thinks about public issues instead of getting drunk, assaulting women and reading whatever his staff writes for him. He is in fact the anti-Kennedy.

I absolutely agree. Carter is a man of principle. He does what he believes in. He has the courage to say unpopular things. He was the last authentic person in the White House. He has a conscience and if he had behaved as Kennedy or Clinton had he would have gotten himself to a nunnery.
Hell, I even voted for him! I didn't know Bennet disliked him. It's gotta be a foreign policy thing.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhatharry View Post
I absolutely agree. Carter is a man of principle. He does what he believes in. He has the courage to say unpopular things. He was the last authentic person in the White House. He has a conscience and if he had behaved as Kennedy or Clinton had he would have gotten himself to a nunnery.
Hell, I even voted for him! I didn't know Bennet disliked him. It's gotta be a foreign policy thing.
Yes, the Neo-con hatred toward Carter is a foreign policy thing, related to the Middle East. And let me clarify that conservatives despised many of Carters *policies*, not the man.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
No I've used stupid, drunk, philanderer and all-round #@@! to describe Ted.
You are not alone, but now your brethren have moved on. Slightly.

Here's how Roy Edroso introduces his latest column:

Quote:
NEW VOICE COLUMN UP, about the rightbloggers' attempt to pull a Wellstone on Kennedy. They didn't get much, but some of them are still reacting ("Use of Kennedy's Death for Political Advantage Sinks to New Lows") as if liberals had invaded their memorial service, as the schtick demands.

Even the dimmer bulbs among them seem to realize it isn't going over, and have moved on to more exotic Kennedy slurs than the ones they emitted at Kennedy's death. Patterico parses a casual comment Kennedy made to Jose Maria Aznar, Cortes E. DeRussy attacks Kennedy's letter to the Pope for not being as awe-inspiringly humble as the one DeRussy would have written, etc.

Once upon a time, pretending to care so greatly about a dead liberal that they would endeavor to protect his reputation from his own family and friends -- while simultaneously spreading every loathsome story about the deceased that they could dig up -- seemed like breathtaking nerve. But they've spent the past seven years topping themselves.
Read the whole column.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:47 PM

Default no mention of McWhorter/Behe being sent down the memory hole

Are discussions on Bloggingheads considers topics to be discussed in "the week in blog"? Was this episode recorded after the deletion of the McWhorter/Behe episode? If yes, it is very disappointing the topic was not discussed.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:52 PM

Default Re: no mention of McWhorter/Behe being sent down the memory hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvilleSteve View Post
Are discussions on Bloggingheads considers topics to be discussed in "the week in blog"? Was this episode recorded after the deletion of the McWhorter/Behe episode? If yes, it is very disappointing the topic was not discussed.
DenvilleSteve is making sense.

Gulp.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:24 PM

Default Re: no mention of McWhorter/Behe being sent down the memory hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibong View Post
DenvilleSteve is making sense.

Gulp.
let me tie this in with the secessionist movement ... In the democrat states of america there would be no mention allowed of IE or any challenges to TToE. In the USA educators would be encouraged to present ID simply as a device to illustrate the incredible complexity of molecular machines and inform students that there remains much that science cannot yet explain about the workings of the physical world.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:02 PM

Default Re: How Did Conn Carroll Mourn For Ted Kennedy?

!@#$%
Old 08-28-2009, 09:34 PM

Default IOKIYAR, part eleventy-kabillion

Steve M.:

Quote:
Oh, and as for the naming of that bill, gee, I just can't imagine Republicans wanting to name things for a political hero, can you?
Old 08-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Whatfur

Default Wellstone memories

Billy B. was right.

Conn!!

From Slate:

"There's a salutary practicality about many of the liberal clich廥 repeated and applauded tonight. But there's a creepy arrogance about them, too. The ceremony's closing speaker, Democratic Sen. Tom Harkin of Iowa, says Wellstone "never took himself too seriously" and "never had to proclaim his decency." Yet tonight, the men and women who purport to represent Wellstone's legacy are taking themselves quite seriously and constantly proclaiming their decency. "We can redeem the sacrifice of his life if you help us win this election for Paul Wellstone," Kahn tells the crowd. Somewhere, Wellstone must be turning on his cross.

Above the stage hangs an immense cubic scoreboard. During basketball games, it's electrified and illuminated from above. Tonight it looms just above the stage lights, blank and unlit. A man has died. This is no time to keep score."

...read whole thing.

I found the above article while looking for video of the Wellstone Memorial...specifically Bill Clinton's entrance. A good trivia question, maybe. What song started playing over the loudspeakers when Bill Clinton made his entrance at the Wellstone memorial??

I kid you, not.

I always thought it rather funny.

Last edited by Whatfur; 08-28-2009 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: meant to change title
Old 08-28-2009, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Wellstone memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatfur View Post
[...]
I'm sure the voices in your head would be proud of your parroting.

(via)
Old 08-28-2009, 10:35 PM

Conn, the law is *not* unclear about torture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Crimes_Act_of_1996

It is only unclear to the ignorant or dishonest.