Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 09-29-2009, 12:57 PM
BhTV staff

Default Atonement (Robert Wright & Mickey Kaus)

Correction from Mickey

I misremembered the murder case I discussed in the diavlog. The individual involved, who was convicted, apparently did not cut his ex-girlfriend into pieces. Her skull was severely fractured and her body was stuffed in a trunk.

Last edited by Aryeh; 09-29-2009 at 01:07 PM..
Old 09-29-2009, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Atonement (Robert Wright & Mickey Kaus)

So Bob doesn't really care if Iran goes nuclear? Not surprising. At least he admits it. I'm sure if something does go wrong with Iran getting a nuke it will be Bush's fault.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:24 PM

The calls that Beck is some sort of new phenomenon escalating the possibility of political violence is laughable. Not that someone may hear him and blow a fuse but that it's anything new.

Where were these accusers when people were marching with posters showing Dubya decapitated, shot, lynched and burned?

Where were these people when Bill Maher said killing Dick Cheney would save lives?

Where were these people when Randy Rhodes was calling for 'Fredo Corleone' Bush to be taken for a boat ride?

Where were these people when british newspapers were begging for another Lee Harvey Oswald?

But.....I do admit Beck is dangerous to moonbats.....he's something like 3-0 against Obama regarding Van Jones, Yosi Sargent and ACORN. That all these takedowns were bloodless takes a bit of the shine off his portrayal by the left as violence personified.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:30 PM

Bob, here's the undedited ACORN video that you were demanding to be posted. You might want to pull your head out of the sand

http://hotair.com/archives/2009/09/1...an-bernardino/
Old 09-29-2009, 03:49 PM

Correct me if Im wrong Mickey (or maybe Harvard Law taught you different), but isn't a plea bargain arranged with the D.A. Isn't the judge within his rights to reject the offer? Maybe you could check with your Mom and get back to us:

The French are despicable, the Atlantic postures... Oh... what was I guessing about again?
Old 09-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Francoamerican

Whatever the merits of the warrant for Polanski's extradition (and the case is murky--to say the least), it should be pointed out that France has no extradition treaty with the US and doesn't extradite its citizens unless the crime committed is particularly heinous. Polanski was a naturalized French citizen before he moved to the US.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:16 PM

The man pleads guilty and it is murky. And the waters in the West End are murky compared to Palm Beach.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Francoamerican

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscivorous View Post
The man pleads guilty and it is murky. And the waters in the West End are murky compared to Palm Beach.
Oracular.

But the mind of Pisc knows all.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:32 PM

Default Hmmm ....

Upon hearing this, and especially in light of the theme of this diavlog, I call upon Mickey to atone, publicly, for his earlier braying disparaging of Journolist.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:38 PM

And the French have no problem with a man theat drugs and then sodimizes a 13 year old. How Euro sheik is that?
Old 09-29-2009, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Hmmm ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
Upon hearing this, and especially in light of the theme of this diavlog, I call upon Mickey to atone, publicly, for his earlier braying disparaging of Journolist.
A little taste of that Frenchified existentialism for U.S. spokesperson Mickey Kaus. Not a journalist, not on the Journolist, not on the Atlantic's top 50 list... he's just not... and yet he exists.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
And the French have no problem with a man theat drugs and then sodimizes a 13 year old. How Euro sheik is that?
Theat is totally Arabic.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Theat is totally Arabic.
Maybe he's thinking of the condoms (condemns).
Old 09-29-2009, 05:00 PM

Default Mickey unplugged

I unplugged Mickey at the first loathsome mention of Elizabeth Edwards, sparing myself any possible rant about "illegals."

Too bad because I was interested in what Bob would say about Polanski.

I loved this quote in the NYT today:

Quote:
...philosopher Bernard-Henri Lévy,... suggested that perhaps the Swiss had more serious criminal matters to attend to than Mr. Polanski, who, he said, “perhaps had committed a youthful error.”
Polanski was 44 at the time of the rape.
--Psalm 34:15
Old 09-29-2009, 05:03 PM

Fact check: French public opinion is running strongly against Polanski. New York Times today:

Quote:
Of the 30,000 participants in an online poll by the French daily Le Figaro, more than 70 percent said Mr. Polanski, 76, should face justice. And in the magazine Le Point, more than 400 letter writers were almost universal in their disdain for Mr. Polanski.
--Psalm 34:15
Old 09-29-2009, 05:11 PM

Default Doghouse on Polanski

Lead item from today's entry, "The Amazing Cascading Olio:"

Quote:
Los Angeles. Isn't That Where Michael Jackson Lived Out His Twilight Years A Free Man? Whatever you think about Roman Polanski, there's this: the legal record stinks, the sudden request for extradition stinks on ice, and if we can't come to the conclusion that prosecutorial misfeasance is a more fundamental problem than any crime then a System where basement pot growers get 5-10 and war criminals get book deals is actually better than we deserve.

Pressed for an explanation of why it ignored so many earlier opportunities that had extradition been a Trademark they would have lost it, the LA DA's office coughs up "a list of actions and queries by which it had monitored his travels in at least 10 countries"--an astonishing annual rate of ("at least") 0.294 countries per, though we are merely raising the curtain--"including what appeared to be a near miss, when officials relayed a request for information from Israel about a visit in 2007. 'Polanski had left Israel and was not arrested,' by the time the information arrived, said the advisory. " Right. The Modern State of Israel, eager extraditors of childhood survivors of the Warsaw ghetto. Damn! Just missed him. On the Will Ferrell/ Adam Sandler That's the Fucking Best You Could Come Up With For The Trailer? Scale, this one rates "funnier than anything that's ever been in a Will Ferrell or Adam Sandler trailer, though not funny ha-ha".
Old 09-29-2009, 05:17 PM

If people were saying that someone advocating political violence is a new phenomenon that would indeed be trivial. Someone advocating political violence isn't something new but the fact that they have a daily t.v. show on a major network is new.

Quoting Harkin: Where were these accusers when people were marching with posters showing Dubya decapitated, shot, lynched and burned?
Where were these people when Bill Maher said killing Dick Cheney would save lives?
Where were these people when Randy Rhodes was calling for 'Fredo Corleone' Bush to be taken for a boat ride?
Where were these people when british newspapers were begging for another Lee Harvey Oswald?

I think it's obvious that the marchers don't have a daily t.v. show.
Bill Maher is actually on t.v. But you're saying that Bill Maher is in the same category in terms of intensity as Beck. That's hopeless. Randy Rhodes? I didn't even know who he was until I looked him up online. British newspapers? That has be to be the most desperate ploy of them all. You have to go all the way to Britain for a comparison? The only thing you're right about is that people are hypocrites. Are you're suggesting that's a new phenomena?
Old 09-29-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz View Post
Maybe he's thinking of the condoms (condemns).
Hee!

Too bad we can't ask Frank Zappa. But, since we were talking about France, peut-ętre "Le Freak"?
Old 09-29-2009, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Mickey unplugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderment View Post
I unplugged Mickey at the first loathsome mention of Elizabeth Edwards, sparing myself any possible rant about "illegals."
Good choice. His attitude about ACORN!!!1! would have caused dents in your walls and forehead.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:25 PM

Quoting Bob: I know almost nothing about ACORN, I'm not here to defend it.

Quoting Obama: I'm not really following this ACORN thing too closely.

By the transitive property does that mean Bob has worked as a lawyer for ACORN and donated $800,000 from his campaign to ACORN?

Furthermore, ACORN was busted in Baltimore, DC, Brooklyn, San Bernardino and San Diego, so far. That is 5, not 2, Bob. Do the math.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Doghouse on Polanski

Quote:
Lead item from today's entry, "The Amazing Cascading Olio:"
By contrast, the Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler of the RedState Trike Force (cf.) uses this news item to achieve a new level of stupid, which is impressive, considering the starting point. (Link at item 2, here, if you must.*)

==========

* [Added] Where you'll also find another link to the Weakly "Standard," proving that the sinister comic book industry is IN THE TANK FOR OBAMA.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 09-29-2009 at 06:42 PM..
Old 09-29-2009, 06:40 PM

Default ACORN's Real Crime?

Registering people to vote who are more likely to vote for Democrats than Republicans. (People who, in large measure, also happen not to be white.)
Old 09-29-2009, 06:47 PM

Default Re: ACORN's Real Crime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
Registering people to vote who are more likely to vote for Democrats than Republicans. (People who, in large measure, also happen not to be white.)
That's exactly right. As with motor voter, as with immigration reform, the smarter people on the right know very well who and what they choose to demonize and why -- anything that will make this country more small-d democratic. And any time you can add that Fear of Otherness to the made-up stories about criminal conspiracies, you're golden.

The problem is, the movers and shakers on the right have managed to convinced their base that this is a right/left issue, when it's actually a rich/poor (in power) issue, and their ability to play on the prejudices and ignorance inherent in their base makes this a snap.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:56 PM

Enoch said "Randy Rhodes? I didn't even know who he was until I looked him up online."

She, not he. Even I know that!
Old 09-29-2009, 07:18 PM

Quoting AEM: Registering people to vote who are more likely to vote for Democrats than Republicans. (People who, in large measure, also happen not to be white.)

You are in complete denial, and I DIG that about you.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkin View Post
The calls that Beck is some sort of new phenomenon escalating the possibility of political violence is laughable. Not that someone may hear him and blow a fuse but that it's anything new.
I listened to Beck last night and he was talking about getting God back in the schools and into national life in general. Since I don't believe that this will make things better, I was a little bored by the discussion but lately, Beck has been talking about values and ethics.....a discussion I think is worth having.

I agree that Bush was vilified almost from the beginning of his presidency. This seems to be the way we Americans do things now. From my recollection the left started it way back in the sixties and now talk radio has answered it skillfully and with a vengeance. Now it's just a battle of who can shout the loudest and frighten the most people. Somewhere in there, however, one can get some information that's useful.

But it's not about being right, any more. It's about winning. C'est la guerre!

(god, I hope I spelled that right, my spel-check doesn't do french)
Old 09-29-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt View Post
Quoting AEM: Registering people to vote who are more likely to vote for Democrats than Republicans. (People who, in large measure, also happen not to be white.)

You are in complete denial, and I DIG that about you.
Denial? You seem to want this ACORN story to be meaningful so badly you can taste it. As far as I can tell, your point of view is entirely identical to what Drudge, Malkin, and Limbaugh see fit to say about it. Look to your own objectivity; I'm pretty confident about mine.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhatharry View Post
But it's not about being right, any more. It's about winning. C'est la guerre!
Actually I borrowed that sentiment from Mark Bowden who wrote this article in the Atlantic http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200910/media
and was interviewed on NPR yesterday.

I think I remember that he said that, in his opinion, the change in journalism started happening during the time of Watergate.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I listened to Beck last night and he was talking about getting God back in the schools and into national life in general.
A win for energetic public scorn?

Quote:
I agree that Bush was vilified almost from the beginning of his presidency. This seems to be the way we Americans do things now. From my recollection the left started it way back in the sixties and now talk radio has answered it skillfully and with a vengeance. Now it's just a battle of who can shout the loudest and frighten the most people. Somewhere in there, however, one can get some information that's useful.
To help disabuse yourself of this false equivalence, you might see the third entry in Mickey's post (from the sidebar) and Josh Marshall's, which Mickey linked to.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:07 PM

Quoting AEM: Denial? You seem to want this ACORN story to be meaningful so badly you can taste it.

You got me. I do love it. You know me pretty well. Can you tell me if I love it more than: Van Jones, Skip Gates, Jeremiah Wright, Bill Ayers, clinging to guns and god, townhall fascists, teaparty bigots, teaparty racists, complete ACORN news blackout from ABC-NBC-CBS?
Old 09-29-2009, 08:17 PM
kidneystones

Default Bodhisattva Bob Needs New Batteries

mc writes...[...] Agreed.

Feeling glum, Bob?

Don't know about it, don't care. Don't know about it, don't care.

nikkibong stands apart from many on this site because he at least doesn't try to claim objectivity and far-left sympathies in the same breath. Beck is an asshole. He boasted of wanting to kill Michael Moore; so there's little doubt about the pleasure he derives from the prospect of physical violence. Sarkozy is far more important than Polanski, but guess who's getting the headlines.

Bob needs a big dose of spiritual regain before his next bhtv appearance. Bad time to go limp.

Last edited by kidneystones; 09-29-2009 at 08:36 PM..
Old 09-29-2009, 08:17 PM

You seem to have forgotten to mention Patrick Gaspard the White House Director of Political Affairs. It just keeps getting better and better.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
To help disabuse yourself of this false equivalence, you might see the third entry in Mickey's post (from the sidebar) and Josh Marshall's, which Mickey linked to.
Also, were you aware that a prominent conservative news outfit published a column, today, calling for a military coup against Obama?

And were you aware of this? "Wash. Times and Fox News now unleashing mobs on private citizens (including kids)."
Old 09-29-2009, 08:24 PM

Default The Media Coverage of ACORN

Jamison Foser of Media Matters has a good column up, building off of this lede:

Quote:
Like a dog that's been beat too much

A new study by professors at Occidental College and the University of Northern Iowa examines the media's coverage of ACORN, finding that during last year's presidential campaign and again this year, the "mainstream" media has rushed to repeat a barrage of false claims by Republicans and conservatives about the organization without first checking to see if the claims are true.

The study makes a number of important points and is worth reading all the way through. Among them:
The rest.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:27 PM

Default ugh

Imitating the absolute worst of the 1960s New Left is bad for Americans, conservatives, and the Republican party. "We're just as bad" ain't a great rallying cry.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Enoch said "Randy Rhodes? I didn't even know who he was until I looked him up online."

She, not he. Even I know that!
Yes, you're absolutely right. However, if knowing something about Rhodes is part of the minimum set of facts about the world that you think people should know then I think that's sad.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Bodhesattva Bob Needs New Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneystones View Post
Bob needs a big dose of spiritual regain before his next bhtv appearance.
Yeah. He should delete all his previous diavlogs and start over, don't you think?
Old 09-29-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Also, were you aware that a prominent conservative news outfit published a column, today, calling for a military coup against Obama?
Gee and there were no rumors about rumors of President Bush was going to use the military to not surrender the Presidency. Left nut, Right nut what's in the middle?

Quote:
You mean, as mentioned in the article, they are following the Josh Marshal strategy of crowdsourcing to accomplish a goal. It it a sin to copy the tools and methods that the left has employed, once they have been show to be effective? Or do you just object to whom the tools are now being applied.

Answer: Nothing as there both acorns and we now see that from acorns nothing grows.

Last edited by piscivorous; 09-29-2009 at 08:34 PM..
Old 09-29-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt View Post
Quoting AEM: Denial? You seem to want this ACORN story to be meaningful so badly you can taste it.

You got me. I do love it. You know me pretty well. Can you tell me if I love it more than: Van Jones, Skip Gates, Jeremiah Wright, Bill Ayers, clinging to guns and god, townhall fascists, teaparty bigots, teaparty racists, complete ACORN news blackout from ABC-NBC-CBS?
You go Salt! I really hope you shout those names as loudly and as often as possible. I don't expect to convince you; but that's about the most tepid (not to say lame) list of scandals as I've ever seen. Bring it on. And keep reading Drudge!
Old 09-29-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
You seem to have forgotten to mention Patrick Gaspard the White House Director of Political Affairs. It just keeps getting better and better.
From Republican house organ The Politico:

Quote:
I hate to put a damper on the day's firestorm on the right over a White House staffer, but an American Spectator report making the rounds this morning that White House political director Patrick Gaspard used to work for ACORN in New York just isn't true.
Or was there something else? (As if working for ACORN is anything wrong, in any case.)

Or are you just emulating Salt, and throwing out random terms, thinking that counts as substantive allegations of wrongdoing?

[Added] More coverage on the conservative media hysteria -- and slew of errors -- over this non-story is available from Media Matters.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 09-29-2009 at 08:43 PM..