Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2009, 04:08 PM

Default Re: A Good Chair is Hard to Find (Ezra Klein & Will Wilkinson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonIrenicus View Post
Income stagnation keeps being mentioned, anyone know the reason incomes stagnated recently?

To healthcare, I do not see an easy way to decrease costs to a system that continually increases its life saving power, and therefore will almost always have cutting edge (read more expensive) treatments. People will almost always want to live longer if their quality of life can be preserved and that seems to create upward pressure to spend more on health care over time, not less. And to the extent that that really is a large portion of income stagnation, what would the solution to that be?
Good question! and on topic, too. We are living longer which has created all kinds of problems which entend to social security, pensions and health care. It makes one wonder what the big assault on smokers is all about. They could be doing us all a favor.

We want and we want more. No one addresses the problems that go along with this thinking. The left wants to take away from the rich to give to the poor who haven't had the proper advantages. The right wants people to be more responsible for their decisions.

As far as health care goes, I would like to see minimal health care become affordable for everyone. That means yearly check-ups, reasonable costs for routine care, etc. But as it is, I, a relatively healthy person who pretty much stays away from doctors, am paying the freight for some couple who wants to save their three month premature child who will require massive amounts of care for the rest of their life. Why is this my responsibility?

There needs to be some line drawn about what is reasonable to expect. For the rest, I think people should be on their own. Oh yeah, that'll happen.