Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 03-03-2010, 05:26 PM
BhTV staff

Default Commenter Court: The Return (Robert Wright & Aryeh Cohen-Wade)

Old 03-03-2010, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Commenter Court: The Return (Robert Wright & Aryeh Cohen-Wade)

I won't be watching this.*

*(note to aryeh: joke)
Old 03-03-2010, 06:26 PM

Default I Am Aware Of All Internet Traditions

Naw, the shorter thing is great, but you gotta do it right (sounds like Keefe shanked his). The purpose isn't to second-guess motives, but to identify the actual point the writer is either obscuring or can't manage to complete on their own.

From the originator:

Quote:
As part of my New Year's Resolution to pick a really nasty fight with someone, and as a potential supply of more regular updates, I've decided to become a "watcher." I believe that this was all the rage in weblog circles about a year ago. Anyway, I want to do it, and nobody convinced me that there were better targets for a jihad than Stephen den Beste, so I picked him. It also helps that, as far as I can tell, he's incredibly thin-skinned.... Now, I thought of doing "Smarter Steven den Beste"... [but] people don't necessarily want a Smarter Stephen den Beste. Part of the joy is watching a man who knows nothing about anything except the innards of mobile phones trying to understand a complicated world around him with no sources of information other than the Internet. What people want is a Shorter Stephen den Beste; one that doesn't take about ten thousand words to get from A to halfway through the downstroke of B.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:48 PM

Default I'm happy to slavishly follow the request for dingalinking...

... But I'm not willing to concede that fosterer is good conversation.

Shorter Bob:

Quote:
I kid about the god/dingalink connection.

Last edited by graz; 03-03-2010 at 07:21 PM..
Old 03-03-2010, 06:56 PM

Part of this diavlog (I'll let you figure out where) reminded me of something I had been wondering. What percentage of comments are made by a small number of named commenters? -- and what percentage of those are made by the most frequent commenter? Is there technology to generate a graph or something?
Old 03-03-2010, 08:33 PM

The raw comment numbers are here. You can make sort of a mental histogram. There are 82,687 total posts, so he-who-shall-not-be-named has about 16% of them.

Last edited by Simon Willard; 03-03-2010 at 08:38 PM..
Old 03-03-2010, 06:57 PM

Default Shorter Bob

Shorter Bob:

Quote:
Ridiculous mischaracterization is wrong for thee, but not for me.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Shorter Bob

And who wrote this:

Quote:
I say we beat the noxious little butterball to a pulp.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:06 PM

Default Would it be racist...?

...to find Bob and Aryeh reminiscent of Jack Benny and Rochester? I guess I will have to wait till the next Commenter Court to find out.

Another moral dilemma: I am concerned that Aryeh is stoned because he looks it. But I'm also concerned that I may be acting like GW Bush when he ridiculed a reporter wearing sunglasses in broad daylight, not realizing that the reporter had a degenerative eye disease.
--Psalm 34:15
Old 03-03-2010, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Would it be racist...?

http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/263...1:20&out=31:44

The ball's in your court, Bob. I don't even have Brink's email with which to get rejected. of course, I think my dignity would survive being turned down better than it would attempting to argue with Brink Lindsay for an hour.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderment View Post
...to find Bob and Aryeh reminiscent of Jack Benny and Rochester?
Put on your glasses, you got the light bulb!
Old 03-03-2010, 09:58 PM
BhTV staff

Quote:
I am concerned that Aryeh is stoned because he looks it. But I'm also concerned that I may be acting like GW Bush when he ridiculed a reporter wearing sunglasses in broad daylight, not realizing that the reporter had a degenerative eye disease.
I can confirm that I was under no chemical enhancement while recording this diavlog--just my natural ebullience shining through! I appreciate the concern, though.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryeh View Post
I can confirm that I was under no chemical enhancement while recording this diavlog--just my natural ebullience shining through! I appreciate the concern, though.
My guess is that you were under Bob's influence...
Old 03-03-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
My guess is that you were under Bob's influence...
It's worse than we thought!
Old 03-04-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
I can confirm that I was under no chemical enhancement while recording this diavlog--just my natural ebullience shining through!
Don't worry, Aryeh. I love you stoned or straight!

Personally, I would want a lot of Novacaine to endure a weekly staff meeting with Bob to discuss the minutiae of how best to coddle the gargantuan egos of dudes like Mickey Kaus.

I take back my Jack Benny-Rochester comparison. This was more Smothers Brothers. Very subtle comic genius. There is a magical moment in there -- please forgive me for not dingalinking -- when you go completely silent on Bob when he's anticipating acknowledgment, but then he figures out that your just being there mutely is way good enough, and the whole shtick continues to flow beautifully. Hats off to both of you.

Last edited by Wonderment; 05-12-2011 at 06:33 PM..
Old 03-03-2010, 09:26 PM

How about "Principal's Office" instead of commenter court? It does feel like school children in trouble...
Old 03-03-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
How about "Principal's Office" instead of commenter court? It does feel like school children in trouble...
To me, it feels more like the air being let out of a balloon. I think that the critiques, mild complaints and vague analysis are a buzz-kill. They need an artistic director to punch-up this concept.

If they focus on the product and increasing the talent pool, they might spend less time on the navel-gazing meta.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:44 PM

Default Title suggestion

'Commenting'
Old 03-03-2010, 09:29 PM

Default Aryeh's pet peeve

Aryeh's pet peeve of a commenter posting that s/he won't be watching a particular dialogue is fair enough, but Bob's characterization is misleading.

Bob claims such a comment is random and gratuitous, comparing it to "I'm not eating a ham sandwich." But of course, comments like that are simply protests against the Head chosen to represent a certain point of view. The real translation is "I have no interest in seeing X and hope you'll never put him on Bhead again." That's a legitimate point of view and posting is a legitimate means of expressing it.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:02 PM

Default Re: Aryeh's pet peeve

Quote:
Aryeh's pet peeve of a commenter posting that s/he won't be watching a particular dialogue is fair enough, but Bob's characterization is misleading.

Bob claims such a comment is random and gratuitous, comparing it to "I'm not eating a ham sandwich." But of course, comments like that are simply protests against the Head chosen to represent a certain point of view. The real translation is "I have no interest in seeing X and hope you'll never put him on Bhead again." That's a legitimate point of view and posting is a legitimate means of expressing it.
Good point about the problem people have with taking a lot of internet vernacular literally. The counter to your "protests against the Head" would be that obscuring your "protest" to the point of unintelligibility doesn't really make a convincing case that you aren't just being "gratuitous".
Old 03-03-2010, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Aryeh's pet peeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by propagandhi View Post
Good point about the problem people have with taking a lot of internet vernacular literally. The counter to your "protests against the Head" would be that obscuring your "protest" to the point of unintelligibility doesn't really make a convincing case that you aren't just being "gratuitous".
I think you can be fairly certain that Bob gets the point, but was being deliberately disingenuous to make his own point. At least, that's how I heard him.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:39 PM

Don't blow the sponsorship opportunities dude! http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/263...6:55&out=27:03
Old 03-03-2010, 10:54 PM

Default Shorter this entire diavlog

Bob: I will say nothing of interest and say it at great length.
Aryeh: I dare not sass my boss.
Bob: Yes, isn't it funny how we keep being all tongue-in-cheek about me being your boss?
Aryeh: Uh, yes.
Bob: Let's do that some more! But first, let's bend over backwards worrying about the gender of some pseudonymous commenter and the pronunciation of his or her handle, because nothing could be more important that.
Aryeh: Uh, yes.
Bob: Okay, time for your big feature!
Aryeh: That one comment posted during the Coolidge Administration was pretty good.
Bob: Let's do this more often!
Old 03-04-2010, 01:24 AM

Default Re: Shorter this entire diavlog

What is the point of a post like this Brendan? To show off your wit and cleverness of phrasing?

If your comments, laced with unnecessary nastiness, is meant to show that Bob talked too much and took too long to get to the main points, then yes, this is all true (Bob, you really need to give more air time to Aryeh and take tips from Glenn Loury on succinctness), but is it really necessary to go out of your way to put it in a way that demeans? Maybe this is your way of being defiant in the face of criticism but the pettiness you show week after week towards those who have differng opinion is just astounding and beyond unpleasant.

As for the entire ChiWhiSox/PopcornKarate/Brendan exchange, I remember the stupidity of that very well. Accusatory, nasty, and totally unnecessary to say the least.

And yes, I realize the irony of my comments considering the subject matter, but enough already.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Sorbet View Post
What is the point of a post like this Brendan?
To criticize in a way that amuses myself, and hopefully, a few other people, too. Sorry it's not to your taste.

Quote:
... the pettiness you show week after week towards those who have differng opinion is just astounding and beyond unpleasant.
First, I think you're only noticing or remembering the instances that put you off and ignoring or forgetting the cases where what I say doesn't match your complaint.

Second, I've already spoken to this at some length, so I'll just refer you there, or remind you of it, as the case may be.

Again, sorry it's not to your liking, but like the old sailor man, I yam what I yam.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
To criticize in a way that amuses myself, and hopefully, a few other people, too.
I see. Then I hope that you and others who love to see these kinds of posts have a fun time chuckling at your clever humour. But I gotta say that Bloggingheads is not your personal blog with which to amuse yourself. It's a public forum with many others who are vested in the continued success of the site and comes with it a set of implicit/explicit rules with which we communicate. Unlike TWOP (and for those who don't know what that is, you're better off), there are no draconian rules on civility, so while you are free to be as demeaning or unpleasant as you like under the guise of witty sarcasm, I also feel the need to say that beyond your small circle of friends, you probably repel a lot of others as well as many new viewers, even those who share your views. Sorry, I realize nothing I say is new to you nor will make any difference, but BH is one of only 2 or 3 websites that I truly care about and I want it to find success and an even wider audience while maintaining quality. That's not a sustainable model as inevitably quality will go down with quantity, but I don't think it needs someone lobbying grenades at it either. Whatever value you might have brought here is completely obliviated by the blazing stamp on your forehead that says jerk.

Last edited by Lemon Sorbet; 03-04-2010 at 03:38 AM..
Old 03-04-2010, 05:44 AM

I gave up commenting on Bloggingheads a long time ago, because I felt that BJ had hijacked the section and I grew weary of his personal attacks and unfounded accusations.

I imagine that he will wear this as a badge of honor but I agree that it may be harming a stellar and unique website.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:16 AM

Default The Munroe Doctrine

Old 03-04-2010, 12:47 PM

Nice to see you deebee, don't be a stranger.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:29 AM

Re Don Zeko's post. Shouldn't he be debating Will Wilkinson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Wilkinson
But, the thing is, Virginia and Ed Glaeser are simply right about housing regulation. The fact that most liberals won’t listen, due to distrust, is a problem not only for liberal/libertarian amity, but for the poor people hurt by bad regulation. From the classical liberal side, we become distrustful when liberals say they are perfectly willing actually to perform the cost-benefit analysis, but then somehow find that there is always a net benefit. That’s fishy! And so we come to suspect that this seemingly reasonable willingness to honestly and rigorously evaluate the effectiveness of regulation is a front for what they really want: everything.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandrite View Post
Re Don Zeko's post. Shouldn't he be debating Will Wilkinson?
Will is too high on the beard chain.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Will is too high on the beard chain.

Heh. Remember how badass Continetti looked with his three-day growth when he vlogged with Heather H from the Dem convention?
Old 03-05-2010, 07:51 AM

And for god's sake, man, have the stones to post a smilie straight up. I triple-dog dare ya!
Old 03-05-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by look View Post
And for god's sake, man, have the stones to post a smilie straight up. I triple-dog dare ya!
I'm not sure why this should be a measure of courage, but in any case, I do, quite often. However there are times when I feel like it should be pretty obvious that I'm making a joke and the full graphic feels too much like a "Huh? Huh? Get it? Get it?" nudge in the ribs.

==========

[Added] Come to that, it would be more stone-possessing to have put no winkie at all, even the obfuscated one I chose -- one should have confidence in one's jokes that they will be seen as such, it could be argued.

Ultimately, though, it seems to me this also requires confidence in (1) the audience and (2) the medium of transmission, and so I think footnotes are the better part of valor here.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 03-05-2010 at 12:07 PM..
Old 03-05-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure why this should be a measure of courage, but in any case, I do, quite often. However there are times when I feel like it should be pretty obvious that I'm making a joke and the full graphic feels too much like a "Huh? Huh? Get it? Get it?" nudge in the ribs.

==========

[Added] Come to that, it would be more stone-possessing to have put no winkie at all, even the obfuscated one I chose -- one should have confidence in one's jokes that they will be seen as such, it could be argued.

Ultimately, though, it seems to me this also requires confidence in (1) the audience and (2) the medium of transmission, and so I think footnotes are the better part of valor here.
First, I was commenting on my perception that you dislike icon smilies and prefer the ones with a nose that don't convert to an icon, so I thought linking was your way of avoiding including them in your posts.

Second, I apologize for not appreciating the depth of your nuance.

Third, the beard chain was quite obviously a joke, and a good one, so why did you think you needed to ensure we got it, hmmmm?

Fourth, I need to get a life!
Old 03-05-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
First, I was commenting on my perception that you dislike icon smilies and prefer the ones with a nose that don't convert to an icon, so I thought linking was your way of avoiding including them in your posts.
Oh, that. Fair point. But I have to say that I have grown out of my insistence on ASCII-only emoticons, thanks to (blame) Ocean and Twin.

My new thing is use ;^) instead of when I want the winking to be less overt, but not as obfuscated as .

Quote:
Third, the beard chain was quite obviously a joke, and a good one, so why did you think you needed to ensure we got it, hmmmm?
Thanks. But you are not everybody; e.g., some people reading this forum appear to be less up on the day-to-day flow of the in-jokes and/or not familiar enough with me to know that a statement like that would have to be a joke, even if its meaning wasn't apparent. On a related note, "beard" is a mildly loaded term in modern parlance.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Oh, that. Fair point. But I have to say that I have grown out of my insistence on ASCII-only emoticons, thanks to (blame) Ocean and Twin.

My new thing is use ;^) instead of when I want the winking to be less overt, but not as obfuscated as .

Thanks. But you are not everybody; e.g., some people reading this forum appear to be less up on the day-to-day flow of the in-jokes and/or not familiar enough with me to know that a statement like that would have to be a joke, even if its meaning wasn't apparent. On a related note, "beard" is a mildly loaded term in modern parlance.
Oh, me, should I ask, or consult the Urban Dictionary?
Old 03-05-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Oh, me, should I ask, or consult the Urban Dictionary?
The latter will probably be more entertaining.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
The latter will probably be more entertaining.
Ooops, I hadn't followed this link yet...thanks, very informative!
Old 03-04-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
But I gotta say that Bloggingheads is... a public forum with many others who are vested in the continued success of the site and comes with it a set of implicit/explicit rules with which we communicate.
And we shall dub it:
The Lemon Law.

And as it is a free and public site, continue to steer it any way you choose. And as a proxy, to speak for others as well. But don't assume that your opinion is shared by all, or appreciated specifically. Your pissy and moralizing post gives short shrift to the value that the "said poster" offers. I don't share his sentiment of sorrow for your distaste. Too bad for you and however many others feel the same.

But I'm happy for your right to post it!