Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 05-07-2010, 12:49 PM

Default Another mistake

Ann and Jim suggested that Faisal Shahzad wasn't Mirandized, and smirk about how liberals, who supposedly both love Miranda and think Obama can do no wrong, will deal with the cognitive dissonance. But of course he was read his Miranda rights, and he's cooperating now too.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Another mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezboard View Post
Ann and Jim suggested that Faisal Shahzad wasn't Mirandized, and smirk about how liberals, who supposedly both love Miranda and think Obama can do no wrong, will deal with the cognitive dissonance. But of course he was read his Miranda rights, and he's cooperating now too.
According to the report I heard, he was read his rights several hours AFTER he had been interrogated. So Ann and Jim are in the clear on this one.

Last edited by grits-n-gravy; 05-07-2010 at 01:37 PM..
Old 05-09-2010, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Constitutional Interpretation?

What's the liberal theory of Constitutional interpretation that Americans reject: the living tree as opposed to the dead document?

If it's that, what's the evidence that the American people (a) reject it, (b)understand it meaningfully so as to reject it meaningfully?

Itzik Basman not to be confused with Itzik Basman

Last edited by basman; 05-09-2010 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: trying to write like Flaubert
Old 05-09-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basman View Post
What's the liberal theory of Constitutional interpretation that Americans reject: the living tree as opposed to the dead document?

If it's that, what's the evidence that the American people (a) reject it, (b)understand it meaningfully so as to reject it meaningfully?

And what evidence do YOU have that the American people *don't* understand it and reject the liberal Constitutional theory of the "living tree"?

I love it when people write long-winded BS, instead of simply "I disagree".
Old 05-09-2010, 05:12 PM

Default Re: They already have a consensus

Can you direct me to any poll showing most Americans supporting ignoring or increasing illegal immigration? Every poll I've ever seen on this issue that asks has a large majoring in support of reducing *illegal* immigration.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Dangerous Minds (Ann Althouse & Jim Pinkerton)

I disagree with the contention that liberal US Supreme Court Justices conceal their views of constitutional interpretation. Justice Breyer is among the present Court's liberal justices, and has written, while on the Court, what is probably the most widely read statement of the liberal approach to interpreting the U.S. Constitution: Active Liberty: Interpreting Our Democratic Constitution (2005), http://j.mp/dyzuBc . Further, Justice Breyer regularly engages in public debates with Justice Scalia about constitutional interpretation, in which Justice Breyer openly describes and defends his liberal approach to interpreting the Constitution. See, e.g., their March 23, 2010 debate at the Supreme Court Historical Society, video on C-SPAN: http://j.mp/av9x5p . Given five years of this highly public, multi-format dissemination of descriptions of the liberal approach to constitutional interpretation by a sitting liberal Justice of the US Supreme Court, in what sense is the liberal Justices' approach to constitutional interpretation being concealed from U.S. citizens?
Old 05-09-2010, 08:05 PM

Default Re: They already have a consensus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmRefDotCom View Post
Can you direct me to any poll showing most Americans supporting ignoring or increasing illegal immigration? Every poll I've ever seen on this issue that asks has a large majoring in support of reducing *illegal* immigration.
I was making no claim as to whether or not most Americans support ignoring or increasing illegal immigration, or about what most Americans think about anything else, for that matter. I was only saying that when it comes to matters that have not been settled, I tend to be skeptical when I come across uncorroborated claims about what most Americans want.

Last edited by listener; 05-09-2010 at 08:31 PM..
Old 05-10-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcocean View Post
And what evidence do YOU have that the American people *don't* understand it and reject the liberal Constitutional theory of the "living tree"?

I love it when people write long-winded BS, instead of simply "I disagree".
Oh ye of little wit.

It's not my claim that Americans reject a liberal theory of Constituional interpretation. It's Pinkerton's. And it's an empirical claim. The burden of proof here is on the claimer.

Plus, I didn't say I disagreed. I merely asked for the evidence. And, as for the "understanding", that would go to the kind of question any polling put.

But here's one inductive argument that Pinkerton's wrong: Obama won the election. That entailed his right to appoint SCOTUS judges congenial to the way he see things. So that's part of what a majority of voting Americans chose in voting for Obama.

No?

Old 05-10-2010, 02:03 PM

Default Re: An excellent Diavlog

I agree. When the vloggers aren't screaming at each other, it's a much more constructive discussion. And more worth listening to.