Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2011, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Values Added: The Vision Thing (Michael B. Dougherty & Daniel Strauss)

Quote:
Originally Posted by opposable_crumbs View Post
Actually it matters a great deal what the actual translation was, which is now several years old, made by a man who has neither the means not authority to determine any such foreign policy and whose term in office will end in a two years I think. The fact that he himself was misquoting a decades old statement of Khomeni's, should give an insight into how flimsy the claims of immediate malice are.
I'm open to the possibility that Ahmadinejad was just engaging in political rhetoric. My point was that even the friendliest interpretation carries with it an intent to see Israel gone, regardless of the means used to achieve that purpose. Unless you meant that Ahmadinejad wants a peaceful one-state, integrated Palestine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulla the Dictator View Post
In what way is what Gingrich said about the historicity of Palestinian identity in error?
Generally speaking, I won't comment on history because I don't know enough. I was clearing up the record on what Ron Paul said and nothing more. I dislike Newt overall, but neutral in my assessment of him on this specific issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderment View Post
Ron Paul did refute Gingrich's idiocy, but he ruined the answer by meandering around and conceding some "technical" correctness to the original Islamophobe assertion.
IMO, that's what makes his answer strong. He was saying that the technicality shouldn't trump common sense.

Quote:
Given that Ron Paul can't get elected, however, I would trust only Romney and Huntsman among Repubs. to continue Obama's (terrible but not insanely reckless) policies toward Israel.
Joe Scarborough and Glenn Beck, who are opposed on many issues, both intimated that they'd back a third party Ron Paul as a no-confidence vote against Newt. Someone like TwinSwords would be unable to distinguish between Scarborough and Beck, but this is a big deal because they represent different constituencies within the GOP. I think Scarborough actually referred to himself as a Ron Paul small-gov conservative.

Between Romney and Huntsman, I'd say Huntsman is much closer to what you'd like to see with regard to Afghanistan/Pakistan. He's on record at a debate advocating 90% troop reduction in Afghanistan. I don't know specifics on the Israel issue with these two, but Romney sounds pretty hawkish, at least rhetorically.