Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-22-2011, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Any Excuse For Mickey Bashing Is Allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
It seems like there are slightly different connotations to the term. Thanks.
Jeff's version had historical context that I was not aware of. I've only understood it in the context of the (very recent) modern resurgence. In its modern form, it's in the same family, I think, as Clintonian triangulation: more moderate Democrats attacking more liberal Democrats in order to prove something about their reasonableness to the establishment media and Republicans.

See also: High Broderism, Dirty Fucking Hippies

From the Balloon-Juice Lexicon:

Quote:
DFHs - Dirty Fucking Hippies. By consensus of the “serious” mainstream media (MSM), any progressive blogger; to the more conservative MSM, any blogger and most forms of “independent” reporting media. Used by certain bloggers as an act of reclamation.

High Broderism - Also frequently seen as merely “Broderism.” A fetishistic attachment to bipartisanship for bipartisanship’s sake; reflexive adherence to false equivalencies, regardless of whether what one side says is patently insane. The result of forty years of believing that Dirty Fucking Hippies may be hiding under your bed. Whereby a center-right pundit, often Broder himself, decrees that bipartisanship is a good thing and can be achieved if only everyone would agree with the center-right pundit. For the last ten years or so, High Broderism has been the shorter version of virtually every op-ed from David Broder.
Sadly, the lexicon lacks a definition for "Hippie Punching."

However, I did find this very interesting Digby post, On Hippie Punching. She elaborates on some of the history that Jeff referred to.

Last edited by TwinSwords; 01-22-2011 at 01:48 PM..