Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 02-11-2010, 08:39 AM
BhTV staff

Default An Icy Hell (Robert Wright & Joel Achenbach)

Old 02-11-2010, 10:24 AM

Default Re: An Icy Hell (Robert Wright & Joel Achenbach)

Wow, this was a really painful diavlog to listen to. Normally I find both Bob and Joel to be quite entertaining and on a good day funny (in a droll sort of way). Maybe it was due to all the technical difficulties. The thing just never really gelled for me.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:32 AM

Hilarious! Joel's histrionics at their best!

I agree that Bob should be called Robert instead. It gives him a je ne sais quoi.

I found the comments about the automatic antagonism that Obama is encountering very much on target. Their conversation about the new plans for NASA was, if not necessarily informative, at least a good summary of their essence. And the whole thing was pervasively infiltrated by humor!

Bob should have Joel more often on BhTV.

By the way, don't miss the video with Frazier and Milo playing on the snow.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:09 AM

Bob contemplates mortality.

Last edited by Simon Willard; 02-11-2010 at 11:23 AM..
Old 02-11-2010, 11:43 AM

Default battle of the blizzards

Wow. Dallas this morning looks like Bob's back yard. 5" and counting. But unlike NJ, the snow will all be gone from here by Saturday.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:19 PM

Unhappy Re: An Icy Hell (Robert Wright & Joel Achenbach)

Oh man. My favorite bh combo and I won't be able to watch it until (at LEAST) Saturday.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:49 PM

I hope Robert got power (electricity!) back. There are more than 100,000 people without it in the Philadelphia and surrounding areas.

I just read a news report and couldn't resist posting what makes human nature wonderful: finding humor in even the most adverse situations.

Quote:

But the news wasn't all bad. Washington has not had a homicide in a week. Ski areas were doing brisk business, when people could get to them. And private contractors were making money plowing driveways and parking lots.

But many people were just ready for the ordeal to end.

In a yard in Westmont, N.J., someone used bright orange paint to scrawl nature a message on a white backdrop: "Dear Mr Frost," it read. "We're good w/ snow."

___
Old 02-11-2010, 12:53 PM

Default Heh

This was the funniest Bob/Joel since the first one.

Bob, you're very funny, but you're the straight man, so please stop stepping on Joel's lines.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by look View Post
This was the funniest Bob/Joel since the first one.

Bob, you're very funny, but you're the straight man, so please stop stepping on Joel's lines.
Isn't that part of the fun? These guys are all about the mutual undermining.

Last edited by AemJeff; 02-11-2010 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: fix spelling mistake
Old 02-11-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
Isn't that part of the fun? These guys are all about the mutial undermining.
It's just too freqent. There's repartee, and there's stepping on good lines. For example, the last few seconds when Joel says he'll say nice things about Bob when he's gone, and is going to add more, Bob steps on it.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:07 PM

Hmmm... talking about Ahmadinejad and religious power:

Quote:

Ahmadinejad Bucks Religious Establishment

In a country where obedience to the ayatollahs is expected, Iran's president is finding another way.

In his efforts to undercut the religious basis of the clerics' political authority, Ahmadinejad has begun emphasizing "pragmatic values" in governance. When addressing an Iranian university in November, Mashaei took the attack on the mullahs' authority much further: "God does not unify humans…[because] each person's [notion of] God varies from the God of others based on individual understanding." His words, it was quickly noted by aghast ayatollahs, are blasphemous under Islamic law and therefore punishable by death. Rebukes by Shiite leaders fell on deaf ears in the executive branch.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:36 PM

I would imagine that their inability to see one another has alot to do with that. (Though Jeff knows better having done an Apollo project or 2). Part of wit is indeed in the quickness. So they can't hang back and wait too much when they have a funny thought. I haven't watched this one yet, but I often enjoy their overlapping quips. Can't wait to watch.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:44 PM

I spent much of the diavlog trying to figure out if Robert and Joel were funny or just plain silly... in the end, I would say that I was amused by their constant efforts to undermine and belittle each other. My favorite line was Robert, after making a particularly cutting remark, saying to Joel something like, "I sensed a vulnerability and thought I'd exploit it. You okay with that?"

Last edited by listener; 02-11-2010 at 05:24 PM..
Old 02-11-2010, 05:52 PM

Default No Fusion, no Mars, no point for Constellation.

Mars? Is going there even remotely possible without a working fusion reactor? I'm thinking probably not.

Cosmic Rays. Ionizing radiation disassociates a hydrogen atom from a water molecule in your cell, now there is a rather mean spirited hydroxide in your cell which immediately proceeds to open up a chemical can of whoop ass on your DNA. On the whole, I bet a rather unpleasant experience.

We could use material shielding, of course bankrupting the entire western world hauling up (I'm being literal here) 500+ tons of ethylene has been seen by some as not a very optimal solution.

We could use an EM field, but It would have to be one hardcore EM field, I'm thinking like 30 tesla min, and big enough so at least one person could live in it for awhile. I am not sure how to calculate the energy requirements, but whatever it is, it would be massive. Sorry, no offense Osmium, but I don't think your up to the challenge, so batteries aren't an option.

Of course, things become alot easier if we are content to get a corpse to mars. We would still technically be sending a human to Mars. I nominate Dick Cheney.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer View Post
I would imagine that their inability to see one another has alot to do with that.
Yeah, exactly. Not to mention, it's a conversation, not a performance. If they rehearsed it for weeks before recording it, perhaps then the timing would be perfect. Alas, this is real life, not theater.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:34 PM

I vote FOR this diavlog. It was very enjoyable.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer View Post
I would imagine that their inability to see one another has alot to do with that. (Though Jeff knows better having done an Apollo project or 2). Part of wit is indeed in the quickness. So they can't hang back and wait too much when they have a funny thought. I haven't watched this one yet, but I often enjoy their overlapping quips. Can't wait to watch.
Let us know what you think...I just think Bob, funny as he is, could lay back bit and leave some space.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSwords View Post
Yeah, exactly. Not to mention, it's a conversation, not a performance. If they rehearsed it for weeks before recording it, perhaps then the timing would be perfect. Alas, this is real life, not theater.
Alas. As you have the subtlety of a Chia Pet, I'm not surprised you could not understand my point, and would have been even more surprised if you had tried.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to themightypuck
Default Interplanetary Cowboy

Robert Wright. Asteroid Cowboy

Last edited by themightypuck; 02-11-2010 at 08:57 PM..
Old 02-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Deactivated User

Send a message via Skype™ to Baltimoron
Default Space: the Financial Frontier.

Bob Wright: "Someone needs to cast it in more inspirational terms."

With all respect to Joel Achenbach, Phil Plait makes a privatized, science-based space program sound attainable, profitable, and scientific, and still dealing with the complications. Achenbach;s humor is just not as infectious as Plait's, and Plait has more cred as a science popularizer. Achenbach's fixation with the romance of humans in space highlights exactly why NASA will probably get a budget that wastes taxpayer money and human resources.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to themightypuck
Default Whoa!! Sh*t!!

Lights Out Potty Mouth Hope Bob has his power back or gets it back soon. Achenbach totally won the blizzard competition up to that point and then Bob killed it. It was pretty impressive how Bob finished up the dvlog.

Last edited by themightypuck; 02-11-2010 at 08:49 PM..
Old 02-11-2010, 10:10 PM

I was literally laughing out loud at the beginning.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:16 AM

It's droll, but also monotonous. I would like to have heard them actually discuss aging rather than just referring to it, since this is something very much on my own mind.

On the NASA stuff, I did not find the "discussion" serious in any way. Why, for example, does NASA have to say where we're going next? How about nowhere? Maybe they should invert things and figure out how to travel to the center of the earth. I'm for space travel that advances theoretical physics and cosmology, i.e. probably unmanned flight, and even then it depends upon the price tag. Hubbell telescope yes, manned flights to Mars no. This idea of a manned colony on Mars is so preposterous.

It's not that I'm humorless, far from it. But Robert has a tendency to get into schtick with Joel and Mickey and it just becomes tedious after a while. More precisely, I would prefer more substance and less schtick, and the humor would probably be more effective, at least for me.

Here's a question. How much like this are the off-camera relationships of these pairs? I'm guessing that there is some competitive teasing, but nothing like the antics that go on on camera. It's a performance. That's OK, and perhaps inevitable, but I don't click on these things to watch an improvised sitcom. As I say, this sort of humor would be more effective in smaller doses and intermixed with some actual emotional depth, if they leveled with us about the psychology of aging, for example.

If I want to watch a sitcom, I'll watch "Curb Your Enthusiasm."
Old 02-12-2010, 05:31 AM

Default Re: No Fusion, no Mars, no point for Constellation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwatcher162536 View Post
Of course, things become alot easier if we are content to get a corpse to mars. We would still technically be sending a human to Mars. I nominate Dick Cheney.
I second that..... Thanks for pointing out that science and science fiction are unrelated activities.

Given the present financial condition of the United States and all the other problems facing mankind, talking about the colonization of Mars struck me as an exercise in the silliest kind of escapism. Inspired by Avatar perhaps?
Old 02-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Deactivated User

Send a message via Skype™ to Baltimoron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian View Post
Given the present financial condition of the United States and all the other problems facing mankind, talking about the colonization of Mars struck me as an exercise in the silliest kind of escapism. Inspired by Avatar perhaps?
It's a symptom related to the nationalistic fervor churned up by the Olympics.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:28 AM

Default Trained killer

I watched the youtube videos of the dogs, and I'm happy I understand now that Frazier is vicious, vicious I tell you.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Trained killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmium View Post
I watched the youtube videos of the dogs, and I'm happy I understand now that Frazier is vicious, vicious I tell you.
Indeed!
Old 02-12-2010, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Againstness

Robert and Joel underestimate Obama's own role in fueling the climate of "againstness", particularly from his own supporters. Tim Dickinson's piece in Rolling Stones Magazine, No We Can't, describes exactly how Obama and his advisors undermined one of the most successful and potentially powerful grassroots campaign organizations by turning it into an arm of the DNC. That's not change we can believe. I'm AGAINST that!
Old 02-12-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledocs View Post
It's not that I'm humorless, far from it. But Robert has a tendency to get into schtick with Joel and Mickey and it just becomes tedious after a while. More precisely, I would prefer more substance and less schtick, and the humor would probably be more effective, at least for me.
I agree.

However, the chemistry between Bob and Mickey works for me whereas this one doesn't. I think Bob and Mickey bring out the best in each other. Here not so much.

Also the Bob/Mickey efforts usually seem to be about something substantive. Although I'm sure someone could bring up exceptions to that, I think it's generally true.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwatcher162536 View Post
On a related note (last line) ...

And see also.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
On a related note (last line) ...

And see also.
Mars or bust....or Mars and busts?
Old 02-12-2010, 06:08 PM

I agree. I will be disappointed if this diavlog takes up the discussion about NASA slot here on bloggingheads.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:21 PM

Default Laughter as a form of employment.

If all else fails these two can do a stand-up comedy routine.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Laughter as a form of employment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainDemocrat View Post
If all else fails these two can do a stand-up comedy routine.
I just flew in from Philadelphia, and boy are my arms tired!
Old 02-12-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grits-n-gravy View Post
Robert and Joel underestimate Obama's own role in fueling the climate of "againstness", particularly from his own supporters. Tim Dickinson's piece iolling Stones Magazine, No We Can't, describes exactly how Obama and his advisors undermined one of the most successful and potentially powerful grassroots campaign organizations by turning it into an arm of the DNC. That's not change we can believe. I'm AGAINST that!
Thanks for the interesting article. I'm always puzzled when analysts opine that it's Obama's advisers or party that are leading him astray. He is one savvy political animal. As Mom said today:

Quote:
The political class this week blamed it on the Chicago Mafia, the longtime Obama friends and associates who surround him in the Oval Office. But even that doesn't explain it. What did they do wrong? And why do people think Mr. Obama's advisers are different from Mr. Obama?
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...elowLEFTSecond
Old 02-12-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Mars or bust....or Mars and busts?
Can I still call you Franc, Franc?

What a colossal waste of money, going to Mars. Even the movies about it are stupid. Except for Total Recall.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the interesting article. I'm always puzzled when analysts opine that it's Obama's advisers or party that are leading him astray. He is one savvy political animal. [/URL]
Yep. Savvy, but as political scientist Adolph Reed, Jr. put it, vacuous in terms of a real progressive agenda. He's a political opportunist, not a movement or visionary leader.

Last edited by grits-n-gravy; 02-12-2010 at 09:51 PM..
Old 02-12-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grits-n-gravy View Post
Yep. Savvy, but as political scientist Adolph Reed, Jr. put it, vacuous in terms of a real progressive agenda. He's a political opportunist, not a movement or visionary leader.
I don't know. I still have not figured him out. An opportunist with a heart of gold?
Old 02-13-2010, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Can I still call you Franc, Franc?

What a colossal waste of money, going to Mars. Even the movies about it are stupid. Except for Total Recall.
So you dislike florian? It sounds better in French than in English. It is the name of one of my nephews.

Pronunciation (approximate) flowreeeahn. R should be slighty rolled and the final an nasilized.

Francoamerican is unavailable for comment.

Last edited by Florian; 02-13-2010 at 03:59 AM..
Old 02-13-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
So you dislike florian? It sounds better in French than in English. It is the name of one of my nephews.

Pronunciation (approximate) flowreeeahn. R should be slighty rolled and the final an nasilized.

Francoamerican is unavailable for comment.
I get set in my ways.

So if I sound like I'm hacking up a furball, I've gone too far?