Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > General comments on Bloggingheads.tv
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

General comments on Bloggingheads.tv Post comments about our website here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-02-2010, 01:09 PM
SkepticDoc SkepticDoc is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Argleton
Posts: 1,168
Default Bob on SOF Live

http://speakingoffaith.publicradio.org/soflive/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-02-2010, 02:19 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. SaŽah
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: Bob on SOF Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticDoc View Post
OMG.
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-02-2010, 09:46 PM
graz graz is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,162
Default Re: Bob on SOF Live

Bob was illuminating as always. He really is a great extemporaneous speaker.

Demerit for feeling compelled to punch the DFA's (or so-called new atheists) in the neck again. Not once but twice in the 90 minute exchange. I feel cheated that he doesn't spread the criticism around. But I think I'm beginning to understand the impetus. It's probably reflexive. Even though he claims not to be a christian, he's still haunted by the residual image of a sky man watching over him. He knows it's a fantasy... yet he can't shake it. Or so he said.

Last edited by graz; 02-02-2010 at 09:56 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-03-2010, 02:15 AM
look look is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,886
Default Re: Bob on SOF Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz View Post
Bob was illuminating as always. He really is a great extemporaneous speaker.

Demerit for feeling compelled to punch the DFA's (or so-called new atheists) in the neck again. Not once but twice in the 90 minute exchange. I feel cheated that he doesn't spread the criticism around. But I think I'm beginning to understand the impetus. It's probably reflexive. Even though he claims not to be a christian, he's still haunted by the residual image of a sky man watching over him. He knows it's a fantasy... yet he can't shake it. Or so he said.
So you question his veracity? I think it's a common occurrence for those raised in an Abrahamic tradition to long for a return to the assurance of belief, the security of traditions, the coziness of the place of worship and the fellow congregants, and these feelings can be hard to shake from time to time. Why do you doubt Bob?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-03-2010, 10:47 AM
graz graz is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,162
Default Re: Bob on SOF Live

I was simply pointing to the fact that he said it in the talk. He claimed that he used to be an atheist, claims that no longer and responding to the question of what residual aspects of his Baptist upbringing manifest: He said, that he still imagines (not believes), a skyward overseer, that in all likelihood is a moral force that guides his behavior. I get it.

I have no reason to doubt him. Although he may have been pandering to the crowd. The host was inclined to treat him like a believer - which he did his best to fend off - but still.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-04-2010, 12:39 AM
look look is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,886
Default Re: Bob on SOF Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz View Post
I was simply pointing to the fact that he said it in the talk. He claimed that he used to be an atheist, claims that no longer and responding to the question of what residual aspects of his Baptist upbringing manifest: He said, that he still imagines (not believes), a skyward overseer, that in all likelihood is a moral force that guides his behavior. I get it.

I have no reason to doubt him. Although he may have been pandering to the crowd. The host was inclined to treat him like a believer - which he did his best to fend off - but still.
Okay, thanks, graz. I've yet to view it, but I watched the first few seconds, when there's only religious-sounding music playing. Can't wait.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-04-2010, 09:12 AM
Me&theboys Me&theboys is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 447
Default Re: Bob on SOF Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticDoc View Post
Can't listen to yet another EOG interview. Does he say anything different in this one than he has already said in every other interview? Any new or refined arguments that are more compelling than those he's already made?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-04-2010, 10:54 AM
graz graz is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,162
Default Re: Bob on SOF Live

No.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-04-2010, 11:42 AM
uncle ebeneezer uncle ebeneezer is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,332
Default Re: Bob on SOF Live

How long till Bob starts a psychic hotline?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-04-2010, 12:02 PM
look look is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,886
Default Re: Bob on SOF Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz View Post
No.
Then why did you watch it?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-04-2010, 12:12 PM
graz graz is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,162
Default Re: Bob on SOF Live

I wasn't looking for or in need of the things Me& requires. (Having read all her posts in all the threads regarding Bob's latest).
All of the historical references that Bob offers are interesting and new to me. I never studied the Bible. I'm intrigued by the contortions that believers and atheists alike use to square their rationales with the "good book." Interesting stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-04-2010, 12:15 PM
look look is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,886
Default Re: Bob on SOF Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz View Post
I wasn't looking for or in need of the things Me& requires. (Having read all her posts in all the threads regarding Bob's latest).
All of the historical references that Bob offers are interesting and new to me. I never studied the Bible. I'm intrigued by the contortions that believers and atheists alike use to square their rationales with the "good book." Interesting stuff.
Thank you, dear.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-04-2010, 12:25 PM
graz graz is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,162
Default Re: Bob on SOF Live

Your welcome in this thread... in the other one... were enemies. Complexities abound.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-04-2010, 12:39 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. SaŽah
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: Bob on SOF Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer View Post
How long till Bob starts a psychic hotline?
LOL!
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-04-2010, 12:52 PM
look look is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,886
Default Re: Bob on SOF Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz View Post
Your welcome in this thread... in the other one... were enemies. Complexities abound.
May the bluebird of happiness poop in your soup.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-04-2010, 12:54 PM
graz graz is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,162
Default Re: Bob on SOF Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by look View Post
May the bluebird of happiness poop in your soup.
O.K. whatfur with manners and a sense of humor.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-04-2010, 01:13 PM
look look is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,886
Default Re: Bob on SOF Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz View Post
O.K. whatfur with manners and a sense of humor.
Graz, you do care!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-04-2010, 05:30 PM
look look is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,886
Default Re: Bob on SOF Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by look View Post
Okay, thanks, graz. I've yet to view it, but I watched the first few seconds, when there's only religious-sounding music playing. Can't wait.
Watched about the first third, so far. Interesting. The interviewer has a charming, engaging manner, and I've never seen Bob more relaxed or eloquent on the subject.

Thanks for the link, SD.
Reply With Quote
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.