Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-2010, 12:38 AM

Default Re: Values Added: A Fire in My Belly (Jeff Sharlet & Helen Rittelmeyer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
The discussion about censoring art work and what's the liberal versus conservative position was somewhat confusing. It seems like these days every topic needs to be dichotomized into a liberal or conservative position. But there are topics that don't follow that pattern. I would hope that Art, and its funding, are of interest to any political group. They are part of culture and development. Why should it follow any party lines?
Oh, please, Ocean. You know better than that. For conservatives of the type who start howling about art exhibits, the only question is "could this somehow be construed as anti-{American|Christian|white} and therefore, can we get {mileage|media exposure|a fundraising bump} out of it?

There is nothing, literally nothing, that some Barcalounger lounger will not consider in terms of "if I make enough of a stink about this, will I feel like I'm winning in the culture wars?"

I suppose, from what you go on to say, that you meant your question to be a rhetorical one. If so, I apologize. In my own defense, I plead having read some of the comments that preceded yours.