Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-05-2011, 09:23 PM
apple

Default Romney: lies on top of lies

Romney is a well-known flip-flopper and liar. Some have argued that since all politicians are liars and flip-floppers, we should cut him some slack. I was somewhat sympathetic to this argument, but yesterday, he made it even worse. Recall the following:

During his term as governor Romney, vetoed a bill in 2005 that would expand access to emergency contraception. In an op-ed explaining his veto he wrote that he was "pro-life."

"While I do not favor abortion, I will not change the state's abortion laws," Romney wrote.

Sounds clear enough. He argues that he changed his mind, but because he campaigned on the promise not to restrict abortion in Massachusetts, he would veto attempts to expand abortion rights/stem cell research, but he also would not stand for attempts to restrict it.

This came after he used the death of a family member in 1994 to reassure voters that they "would not see [him] wavering" on the pro-choice issue.

Then, he said this:

In an interview this week with Mike Huckabee, Romney said that he would “absolutely” have signed life at conception legislation while he was Massachusetts governor.

Really, Mitt? This must be the only time someone has backed away from a pledge after leaving office.

Romney is the kind of person who gives liars a bad name.