Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-06-2011, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Law, Power, and Bin Laden (Glenn Greenwald & David Frum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
And you're not the only additional person unable to feel overjoyed here.

I can intellectually understand, justify, accept and even prefer OBL's death considering all circumstances.

But at an emotional level, I don't rejoice on his death. I think it's sad that we're still such a brutal, violent species that these kinds of acts are necessary.

On the other hand I wouldn't blame those who were more directly affected by his acts and feel the need to celebrate his death. I'm sure that to some degree, or at least momentarily, it can bring a sense of closure.
While I've disagreed with him many times about many things, put me on Team Glenn for this issue as well.

I do not mind that bin Laden is dead. I do, very much, mind some of the ways our society has transformed for the worse in order to get to this point. As the facts emerge to indicate (as they seem to be emerging at this point) that bin Laden was not simply shot to death in the struggle to apprehend him, but outright ASSASSINATED in cold blood... Yeah. I have a pretty big problem with that.

Freddie said it best:

"Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein."