Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-2010, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Enlisting the Muslims

whburgess,

it's impossible to know because we aren't privy to all the facts of these cases (we basically have the government's story in the indictment and that's it) and we of course can never know what would have happend if the FBI had not intervened...but from what we do know in most of these cases it is unclear if the individuals would have been motivated to go to the stage of an actual attack without FBI involvement and it seems almost certain they would not have been able to put one together even if they had been motivated.

As someone in the Muslim community, while you are correct that there is not open recruitment in any mosque and therefore online is a key place for radicalization, I see these cases as the government going after vulnerable individuals which one could do forever without appreciably putting a dent in whatever threat exists....I guess there could be some merit in the idea that these stings make people suspicious since I already assume anyone talking radical to people they don't know is a government agent or informant but it also creates distrust between the mainstream community and the govt because they see the govt as preying on vulnerable if stupid kids for pr purposes.