Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2010, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Communitas: Race, Culture, and Government (Adam Serwer & Amy Wax)

Harkin,

What was the realworld solution Ms. Wax offered? That Blackamericans should change their culture and get married at higher rates? As a religious fundamentalist myself, I have no problem with such a suggestion but I don't think merely suggesting that is a "real world" solution.

As to Ms. Wax's anecdote about the guy from Black studies I call BS on it. I'm sure she's relating some version of some conversation she really had but I simply don't believe that anyone in this society, regardless of area of study is unaware of the general situation of the Black family. As Mr. Serwar points out, it is far from being covered up, quite frequently talked about and discussed.

The problem with Ms. Wax in this diavlog at least was that she came in prepared to argue aggressively with a certain liberal perspective she has either in her own mind or has come across before and when Mr. Serwar ended up to not in fact reflect that strawman view, she simply decided to get more aggressive and make the same arguments she wanted to make, totally ignoring what Mr. Serwar was actually saying.

Again, I am actually sympathetic to many of her points and I believe they deserve a better spokesperson. She came across a thousand times better in Mr. McWhorter's review than she did in this diavlog. I guess I'll have to attribute that as much to Mr. McWhorter as to her.