Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2010, 03:54 AM

Default Harry was right and I was wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
Your added comment was posted after my comment was. I think Harry is right that you can't configure automatic updates to install the updates but not reboot automatically. If you're sitting at the computer, it asks if you want to reboot and allows you to delay it. If you're not there (because you went to lunch or are on the phone), it will reboot automatically.
Hmmm. I suppose that could be right, although as I say, I've never experienced it, and I do leave my machine on all the time, and due to the way I have it set up (multiple accounts, one of which has to be chosen after the first part of the boot completes), I would notice if a reboot had occurred, for sure. On the other hand, I usually click the icon to start the install as soon as I notice it, so I may have never given the machine a chance to get to this point. I'll try to remember, next Patch Tuesday.
This Patch Tuesday, I remembered this thread, and had two computers to experiment with. I let the downloads happen automatically on both of them. On one, I clicked the icon in the System Tray to install the patches after they had finished downloading, and at the completion of installation, Windows popped up a screen telling me I would need to reboot. I left it alone, and it never did reboot automatically. For the next 5+ hours, at least, until I clicked the OK button to make it reboot.

However, on the other (this machine) I let the installation proceed automatically, at its scheduled time of 3 am. I could tell the patches were being applied, because Windows, as is usual, repaints the screen after each patch is installed. When all patches were installed, the following pop-up window appeared on my screen.

BELOW IS A SCREEN CAPTURE. NO NEED TO WORRY.
NOTHING WILL HAPPEN IF YOU CLICK IT.
(BUT TO BE EXTRA SAFE, DON'T CLICK IT.)

ABOVE IS A SCREEN CAPTURE. NO NEED TO WORRY.
NOTHING WILL HAPPEN IF YOU CLICK IT.
(BUT TO BE EXTRA SAFE, DON'T CLICK IT.)

I should add that this pop-up window stayed on top of other windows, even when I made the other windows active.

When the time expired, the automatic reboot did, in fact, take place.

So, Harry was right, and I was wrong. Sorry for harshing on you, Harry.

I do want to point out that I had a fifteen-minute warning, with a persistent nag screen that couldn't be inadvertently hidden, closed, or minimized, about the pending reboot, so I'm still not buying the full extent of the claim that Harry made, that Windows reboots when you're right in the middle of something, with no warning, causing you to lose work. It would take an unusual amount of not paying attention for this to happen.

[Added: I suppose, that since the Restart Now button is active, an inadvertent press of the Enter key right at the instant when the window first pops up would start the reboot, and could leave one with the impression that it had happened "without warning."]

Nonetheless, the essence of Harry's claim stands: Windows will automatically reboot your computer, if you have the updating process set to happen fully automatically, and you let it all happen automatically, rather than clicking the icon to start the patch installation ahead of the scheduled installation time. +1 to Harry, -1 to me.

I remind those who for some reason are worried about this that you have control over the process, as the screen shot below shows.

Access this through your Control Panel -- look for Automatic Updates on Windows XP, and probably the same or close on other versions.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 06-11-2010 at 04:11 AM..