Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-2009, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Atonement (Robert Wright & Mickey Kaus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Willard View Post
Oh, that's just crazy stuff. Pay no attention; it can't happen. It can't happen because we have a two-party system, and Obama got a majority of the votes.
Sure, that's what I believe, too.

The point that I was trying to make with that example, however, is that there is a real and large difference between what the left and right (media) do, in terms of speaking out in opposition to the party and president in power. You've got harkin hand-waving (without links, natch) about a few isolated incidents, exaggerated and half-remembered, mostly gleaned from fringe sources, aggregated from over eight years, regarding a president who many view as having started an illegal war, crashed the economy, pissed all over the Constitution, the Geneva Conventions, and America's image worldwide, and no matter what you think, spent the last couple of years in office struggling to keep his approval ratings above 30%. Then you've got badhatharry agreeing, "Yep, nothing to see here. Left and right, just the same."

They're really not. I could put up new links every day that point to something just as hysterical as that NewsMax column, coming from sources like Fox News, the Washington Times, prominent Republican officials, top right-bloggers and web sites like Malkin, Hot Air, NewsMax, WorldNetDaily, NRO, The Weekly Standard, Instapundit, and RedState, and don't even get me started on Limbaugh and the rest of the hate radio crowd. It's a non-stop drumbeat that reinforces the belief among the GOP base that Democrats can never hold power legitimately and that every waking moment, President Obama, Speaker Pelosi, etc., must be doing something illegal or unsavory or anti-American.

Of course we're not likely to have a military coup, but the environment created by this endless rightwing noise machine is one in which individual nuts are emboldened to act out violent urges, and progress on actual serious problems is severely hampered. There is simply no comparison to it on the left.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 09-29-2009 at 11:06 PM..