Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2009, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Non-Bloodthirsty Edition (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Well said BobbyG (And Abu.) Totally agree.

I understand that there are other big fish that need to be fried right now (unemployment, boy do I know, Iraq, Afghanistan, poverty, climate change etc.) but the fact is we have a system that was designed with very specific avenues for holding our elected leaders accountable when they break the rules. There are supposed to be consequences. And I don't think the founding father's would have considered some loss of public face for Yoo, Gonzalez, Bush etc., to be the proper remedy for breaking 200+ years of precedent and performing despicable acts in the name of we the people.

And Glenn's nonchalant attitude over whether torture "works" really surprised me. I didn't think he was one to abandon his principles so easily. Setting aside the data suggesting that torture actually doesn't get you anything as reliable as good old fashioned interrogation, there's still the issue of the morality of our actions. Glenn, maybe we should rape the daughters of enemy combatants. That "might" work too.

BobbyG, if you want to get up to speed on the various back-forth's that have gone on here, there's a handful of threads worth reading. "Another Thing Jesus Wouldn't Do" is the only one I can think of off the top of my head, but that should get you started.