Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2009, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Non-Bloodthirsty Edition (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

I found this to be the worst DV by these two ever.

1) They dismiss the idea of holding people accountable for their actions as "childish" and "bloodthirsty". I'm just a bit stunned by this attitude. should we abandon all attempts at law enforcement because its all "looking backward instead of forward"? or is this hands off approach to criminality only for the elites?

Glenn seems to think that Alberto Gonzales will be punished enough by his loss of reputation in certain circles. would this apply to me if I go rob a bank - after getting caught, the loss to my reputation should be punishment enough?

how about deterrence? Did either of these guys notice that a lot of the same people running a shadow government in the 1980s under Reagan selling arms to terrorists were the same people back in the executive branch eviscerating the constitution and the rule of law yet again under bush? maybe if some of these goons had been held accountable back then some of this stuff wouldn't have happened this time around.

2) John, "its 1918 again"? really?!! 7 confirmed deaths in mexico and 150 possible deaths is the same as 20 - 100 million dead from the 1918 flu pandemic? maybe a little teeny bit of perspective is in order.