View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Zeko View Post
I think that it it says something bad about a government agency if they make personnel decisions on the basis of unverified information from untrustworthy sources. But it says something much worse about a self-proclaimed journalist, someone whose job is ostensibly to inform the public, to publish such a dubious video clip without making even the most cursory attempt to verify the contents of the video. And bear in mind, this is the charitable account of Breitbart's behavior. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it turns out that he knew how dishonestly edited the video was when he decided to publish it.
I agree that Breitbart was remiss in his journalistic duties in not doing the necessary factchecking to verify that the excerpts were not out of context. But this whole 'discredited' argument seems nonsensical to me. If Breitbart is discredited, then so is the White House and the NAACP.

Breitbart got sloppy but he's not a fool and only a fool would intentionally post misleading excerpts when the full video was bound to pop up.