Thread: holy cannoli
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 03:45 PM

Default Re: holy cannoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhatharry View Post
Oh! so now we have raised the bar to "hard science" Clever how you slipped that in (well, not really). Did the introduction say 16 hard scientists...?
Climate science is not hard science?

Quote:
What you would claim is irrelevant. I doubt anyone would ever be faced with some piece of paper to sign which says "I am a scientist." Mostly people are asked to provide the credentials from their education or work and one should be very careful not to misrepresent those things. If you are just a cubbyhole guy who follows orders and procedures and doesn't get into the discovery phase of engineering than I guess you should not claim to be a scientist.
Cubby hole guy? WTF are you on about now? I think you mean "cubicle" but no, I work in a lab. But you think the cubicle thing is an insult or something? Or a reason to doubt someone?
Notice how I didn't lead with this until you started implying special spousal knowledge? I then clearly outlined what I do, and designing, and implementing research equipment involves mostly discovery, as the research is in itself discovery by definition. But do let me know what your "scientist" husband says.

Quote:
And, I have yet to hear from you what it is that constitutes a scientist... But here is something from Wikipedia which might give you pause, but check with Jeff first.

"Engineering is the discipline, art, skill and profession of acquiring and applying scientific, mathematical, economic, social, and practical knowledge, in order to design and build structures, machines, devices, systems, materials and processes."
Or "applied science" like I said. Thanks for supporting my claim.

Quote:
Engineering is not science. Engineers are not scientists. Engineers make or design things. The test for the quality of an engineer's work is whether or not the things function within the parameters of their designs. Scientists produce papers. The test for the quality of a scientist's work is based on peer approval in regard to the papers he or she has produced. These are intrinsically different tasks, requiring completely different sets of skills (and that's apart from the specific technical skill sets that accompany each discipline.) And you're right, this goes directly to harry's critical thinking skills, at least insofar as she allows us to glimpse them, such as they are, in this forum.
There, you just read Jeff's post, hope you didn't have breakfast yet.

Quote:
"Engineering, much like other science, is a broad discipline which is often broken down into several sub-disciplines."
Notice how they have different words for "science" and "engineering" that's how we delineate things that are not the same! But since the wiki says "other science" then I must be a scientist!!!!
I can't thank you enough badhat! I'm gonna ask for a raise!!!!

Quote:
I don't read Jeff's posts. There is no need. I already know what he will say. He usually just makes me want to throw up a little.
And you still haven't told me what makes a scientist a scientist.
You're right, the very definition of both that I linked to can now be discounted because we have gone far enough down thread for you to inaccurately claim it never happened.

Quote:
How about you try to follow?...you said that I am hurting my cause. First, I already know that you have no interest in discussing any of this and that you know pretty much nothing about it so it will go nowhere. What is important to you is arguing about stupid stuff like whether or not Bert Rutan is a scientist and giving your visiting guest, Jeff, high fives. Second, I have no cause. This whole controversy is mostly an interesting social phenomenon in my opinion. People like you have chosen a side because you have bought into the 99% propaganda and will never change their minds until the issue is eventually forgotten. It's going to be interesting to see where this thing is at in twenty years.

But, I'm so glad that you at least appreciate something about my posts. The "detached from reality" bit is pretty much how I would sum up my opinion of you.
Now who resorts to the Ad Hominem? Plus backing away from vehemently endorsing and defending your propaganda! I know I've given you a hard time about your reliance on attitude, but I have to say this whole rant is really quite funny.

Last edited by handle; 02-01-2012 at 03:53 PM..