View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 06:34 PM

Default Re: An apparition is stalking America

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfrobison View Post
Yes, Wonderment. America is all that and more. The ills we have brought to the world are without count. The benefits, nonexistent. How you can bear to live in that benighted land is beyond me.
How do you get this out of Wonderment's post?

Quote:
What you seem incapable of understanding is that loving a country is not so different from loving a spouse.
Interesting. I'd say that Wonderment probably does understand that, even if he wouldn't claim the position himself. It seems to me those that he is mocking are the ones who do not. Insisting that everyone acknowledge that the US is objectively the best country ever and that affection for others (except Israel and sometimes the UK) is somehow bad seems kind of like insisting that everyone admit that your wife is the best woman ever. Why shouldn't Florian have a preference for France? But if I say that the US is my favorite, but it seems silly to demand that we make objective claims about the best-ness of the US, that gets my patriotism questioned.

Quote:
You hold Americans who feel affection and loyalty for their country in contempt.
I've not noticed this from Wonderment. I think he holds the idea that the US should police the world in contempt and, similarly, the idea that those in other countries should recognize our fitness and moral unquestionability in doing so. I think this is actually related to the argument about Ron Paul's moral significance that Bob Wright posted at the Atlantic.

(And in case it's not clear, my own foreign policy views are different from those of Wright and more so from Wonderment and the sainted Dr. Paul.)