View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 06:55 AM

Default Re: Modern capitalist China?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarkang View Post
My link is to the St. Louis Fed. In case you weren't aware, it's the primary source for Matthew Iglesias' fancy graphs. If that isn't sufficient, then try googling for the following words: economists survey free trade

That will provide you with all the evidence to back my original assertion.

The reason I don't provide more links is because you vampires avoid the truth like sunlight. The more sunlight I provide, the more you avoid it. Given that, it's a fool's errand to try and convince you of anything. Factual truth is insufficient to change people's minds. I provided the evidence; it's up to you to want to discover the truth. The problem is you, and others here, don't want to. I can't make you want to.
Economists survey free trade....and they praise it! What else is new? As Paul Krugman once famously said: "If there were an Economistís Creed, it would surely contain the affirmations 'I understand the Principle of Comparative Advantage' and 'I advocate Free Trade'."

But creed is one thing; practice is another. The history of capitalism (in the US as in every other country), as opposed to the theory of capitalism, tells a rather different story from the pleasant fictions of economic textbooks. For most of the 19th century, northern American industrialists were in favor of protectionism to shield themselves from foreign competition. It seems to have worked rather well for them...

And now what is the official position of United States on this subject? Judge for yourself:

http://economistsview.typepad.com/ec...liberaliz.html

Last edited by Florian; 12-16-2011 at 07:54 AM..