View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Daniel likes hard work, too bad his party finds it passe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
We've kind of had a poll of sorts about which of us are religious and not, and it hasn't broken in the way one might have expected. I am curious about whether other people here have done manual labour for pay, and if so, what kind and over what period of time.
When I was 13, my next door neighbor hired me to scrape all the old paint off their two car garage and then repaint it. I agreed to do it for $50, but they paid me $60. As an aside, last weekend one of my friends paid a neighborhood kid $50 for one day's yard work -- basically raking leaves in his (admittedly large) front and back yard.

When I was 14, my older brother (who was 20) bought a small machine parts manufacturing company. (Mostly automotive parts, though he did get some defense contracts making parts for tanks.) I worked part time in the shop for the next couple of years operating a chromic acid tank and sandblasting machine parts. In retrospect, this was all probably illegal, though we didn't care: we were libertarians. (My brother dragged me into his libertarianism when I was about 13, and it lasted until I was about 19.)

For a few years starting around 13-14, I had two paper routes: Before school I delivered the Detroit Free Press to ~125 customers, and after school I delivered the Detroit News to ~100 customers.

From 17-19, I was a Little League coach.

From 19-20 (two summers) I was a camp counselor at the UAW's Black Lake Family Center. Best job I ever had.

After college, I worked for about a year as the manager of my brother's game store.

After college, I also worked for about 3 years as a free lance photographer, which involved taking pictures and then developing the film and making prints in my darkroom.

After that, I got hired at Megacorp International and I've been sitting at a desk ever since.