View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Potentially Non-Evil Human Beings (Katherine Mangu-Ward & Stephen Spruiell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwatcher162536 View Post
While the particularly partisan my find it gleeful to point to the nomination of Christine O'Donnell as evidence that the Republican base is crazy, I find that very little can be attributed to said group from this incident. It was a off-year senate primary where only 3% of the population voted, a scenario where one can easily imagine a small extremist sliver of a population winning a primary.
Well, it was more like 6.5% of the entire Delaware population, and a higher percentage of Delaware's voting age population, and a higher-still percentage of Delaware's registered voters, but your point that an extremist faction controlled the outcome in Delaware is well taken.

Unfortunately, she still got the nomination, and in any less sane state than Delaware, would be rewarded with one of 100 seats in the US Senate. People can dismiss "off year elections" as somehow meaningless, but we have them every four years in this country, and the elections in off years count exactly like elections on "on" years. And once someone is elected, the power of incumbency means they are favored to keep the seat in future elections.

Maybe the strength of the lunatic/psychopath faction of the GOP can be measured by the fact that EVEN IN one of the most sane, lunacy-averse states in the Union, the psycho candidate still won the nomination. I think you're whistling past the graveyard if you keep reaching for reasons to dismiss the significance of the ever-more-extreme base of the Republican Party.