View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 11:27 PM

Default Re: World Historic Edition (Mark Schmitt & Daniel Foster)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
But I went on to predict that the nominee would get a similar proportion of nutty supporters as Obama had.
See this is where I don't agree, but again can't prove it. I think there was some kind of magical thinking about Obama and I cannot agree with the notion that anyone could ever have that kind of magical thinking about this crop of Republicans.

I think there is a wish in people that one day we will get the person we have been waiting for. People like me are way too cynical to hope that for more than a mili-second but I do think there are people who are really waiting for the Messiah.

For instance, who would ever think that it was cool to cart the body of Ronald Reagan across the country twice so that people could stand in line and pay homage to a shiny casket? And yet it happened. People want to believe there is such a thing as greatness and some people inspire that kind of hope in people.