View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Merry Christmas: All-American Muslim Santa Kills Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
Well, here's another point against nurture: I was brought up in a very bland environment food-wise; my mom's notion of exotic spices was a pinch of black pepper. I have some religious dietary restrictions, and I have my old comfort foods, but since dating my wife, my repertoire has literally exploded, and I suspect it';s something that has always been there, waiting to be expressed.

My wife had a limited exposure to variety growing up, but not as limited as mine and technically she grew up within an ethnic food environment. But we have both adventured together and expanded our horizons. She's picky, but her pickiness is on quality, not type. Our first date was an Ethiopian place, which I had tried exactly once before and she never had.
Well, on behalf of the little adventurousness that I may have, I'll say that I also grew up in an environment where the exotic amounted to that pinch of white or black pepper, and everything else was limited to some form of European cuisine, with lots of Spanish (from Spain), Italian, British, French and German specialties. However, it was easy for me to adopt Chinese food when I came to the States. A little after I discovered Middle Eastern and in recent years I've added Japanese. I think that was quite an accomplishment, considering.

Quote:
So in addition to supporting your genetic view, this may also speak to assortative mating.
Maybe. Would my divorce from a man who liked every possible kind of cuisine on earth serve as confirmation of your hypothesis?