View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Worldwise: A European Economic Education (Robert Wright & Arash Molavi Vassei)

This was very good. Fits more or less with what I've been hearing/reading/writing on the subject.

In particular, Vassei's point at the close, that this is an essentially political project being pursued by economic means, with some stealth hope that the politics would fall into place over time, is dead on. It might still fall into place, but in a crisis context almost certain to create resentment. It is not a new point, but it is still a good one.

I have been very disappointed by the way the general interest press has covered this story, but the Financial Times has been phenomenal. There is not a day that I don't look at their coverage and think, 'Man, I wish I wrote that.' There's a semi-paywall over there (limited articles a month), but if you are at all interested in how we got here and what happens next and whether this is the beginning of a global second recession and all that jazz, I recommend you head over to their site, register and read everything that Martin Wolf and Wolfgang Münchau have written in the last 18 months.