View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 12:49 AM

Default Re: Under-the-hood changes to our video player

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
A complaint: if I pause the video and then click the "jump back 10 seconds" or the "jump forward 10 seconds" button, the video automatically starts playing again. This is annoying. If I pause the video, I would like to choose when it starts playing again. Often, for example, I pause a video to take a break, and when I return, I want to jump back 20 or 30 seconds, to remind myself of where the conversation was when I left off. (There are other use cases as well.)
Here's something I might have thought to check before, but I did not until now. It turns out that a request I had for the old video player is now implemented on the new video player: grabbing the triangle in the time bar slider and moving it causes a little balloon tip to pop up, showing the location as the triangle is moved. This obviates my use case above, where I said I like to be able to go back more than 10 seconds before resuming play.

Not sure if everyone else already noticed this aspect of the upgrade, but in case not, I thought I'd note it.

It is the case, however, that moving that triangle causes a paused video to start playing automatically as soon as the mouse button is released. As with the 10-sec jump buttons, this seems like an undesirability to me: if a user pauses a video, it should be up to the user when it starts playing again.

It's not a big deal, but if it turns out that upon lifting the hood, it's just a matter of flipping a switch, that would be a good switch to flip. (I have a feeling these two autoplay glitches are connected. And now that I think about it, they both may be connected to the setting that causes the video to autoplay upon page load, full diavlog or dingalinked segment.)

Last edited by bjkeefe; 10-26-2010 at 12:52 AM..